Could U2 Sell A Complete Singles Collection?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
I don't mean a 'Best Of' or a 'Greatest Hits'. I mean a complete, multi-disc collection of ALL of their single A-Sides from the beginning until now. Depeche Mode did something along those lines a few years ago, although they released each decade as a seperate release. What I have in mind is a three-disc set, at a price of around $25 retail. One disc for each decade, tracks in chronological order by release, and I'm going to assume for these purposes that the last two singles from HTDAAB will be COBL and either MD or OOTS. So if it looked like what I'm about to lay out, do you think it would sell well?

U2: The Singles 1978-2005

Disc 1: 1978-1989

1)Out Of Control(this was U23, essentially)
2)11 O'Clock Tick Tock
3)Another Day
4)A Day Without Me
5)I Will Follow
6)Gloria
7)Fire
8)A Celebration
9)New Year's Day
10)Sunday Bloody Sunday
11)Two Hearts Beat As One
12)Pride(In The Name Of Love)
13)The Unforgettable Fire
14)With Or Without You
15)I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
16)Where The Streets Have No Name
17)Desire
18)When Love Comes To Town
19)Angel Of Harlem
20)All I Want Is You

Disc 2: 1990-1999

1)The Fly
2)Mysterious Ways
3)One
4)Even Better Than The Real Thing
5)Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
6)Numb
7)Lemon
8)Stay(Faraway, So Close)
9)Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
10)Miss Sarajevo
11)Discotheque
12)Staring At The Sun
13)Last Night On Earth
14)Please
15)If God Will Send His Angels
16)Mofo
17)Sweetest Thing

Disc 3: 2000-2005

1)Beautiful Day
2)Stuck In A Moment
3)Elevation
4)Walk On
5)Electrical Storm
6)Vertigo
7)Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
8)All Because Of You
9)City Of Blinding Lights
10)Miracle Drug/Original Of The Species

That's 47 songs, I'd say that's a good deal for $25.

Thoughts?

not strictly relevant, but this thread has made me realise that this decade could possible be U2's best, depending on their next album,.

U2 already have 2 greatest hits albums, and neither of them flow at all imo, i would rather see a new album!

I don't really know what the point of such a release would be ...

That's a pretty good list. Did you list every single? I think it'll sell well with collectors and hardcore fans but I'm not sure about everyone since there already are a couple of greatest hits packages out there. The DM 86-98 collection is excellent!

I'd buy it. Then again, if U2 released a limited edition picture of a potato and charged $30 for it, I'd probably buy that too.

Actually, upon reconsideration, what would be better would be a collection of A-sides AND B-sides. Of course, it would cost more and probably be more discs, but singles are hard to find these days, I don't own any of the 80s singles... yeah you can buy it all offa iTunes but some people still like CDs, y'know? I'd totally go for a collection of all singles releases, both A-sides and B-sides.

AtomicBono said:
Actually, upon reconsideration, what would be better would be a collection of A-sides AND B-sides. Of course, it would cost more and probably be more discs, but singles are hard to find these days, I don't own any of the 80s singles... yeah you can buy it all offa iTunes but some people still like CDs, y'know? I'd totally go for a collection of all singles releases, both A-sides and B-sides.

You're missing the point. The idea is a collection of every radio hit they've had for the nonhardcore fan who doesn't want to buy the albums. Chances are this type of fan isn't going to care about b-sides.

timothius said:
U2 Could sell anything. Look how much The Bomb has sold.

:rolleyes: :sigh:

Anyway. It might be an interesting attempt to expose casual listeners to U2's catalogue...but then again, a lot of their singles and hits are on the Best Ofs, so people might not bother.

GibsonGirl said:

:rolleyes: :sigh:

Anyway. It might be an interesting attempt to expose casual listeners to U2's catalogue...but then again, a lot of their singles and hits are on the Best Ofs, so people might not bother.

I just realised that that read a bit like you're typical HTDAAB dig, which it wasnt meant to be!

What I was meaning, is that there is a minimum amount that any U2 album will sell. Where exactly that figure lies I am not sure, but I think it would be somewhere around what HTDAAB would sell.

I think that the most powerful tool for exposing others to U2's catalogue is the Best-Ofs (mainly the 80's one). I think a singles collection like that would be redundant, and would piss a lot of people off (i can hear the U2 have sold out threads being typed out now). If this were to happen, I would like it to be at the end of the band's career.

Long Live The Bomb...

The potato sounds hot...when is the street date? I am waiting for the U2 limited edition H2 Hummer.

for me to poop on.

Last edited:
namkcuR said:

You're missing the point. The idea is a collection of every radio hit they've had for the nonhardcore fan who doesn't want to buy the albums. Chances are this type of fan isn't going to care about b-sides.

i agree, this is actually a very clever idea..

It is a good idea but I'd make it a 2 or 3 cd set and not in any particular era considering U2 have already two best of's for each decade. Certainly U2 will release a Best of 2000 - 2010 so I don't think there is a point to a 3 disc era set. To market it really good they should mix up the songs so it's not just a repeat of the two Best ofs we already have.

Back
Top Bottom