Could U2 fans be THE most critical fans in the history of popular music?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WithOrWithoutYo

The Fly
I went to see U2 at the BBC last night - first time I'd ever seen them, and it was possibly the happiest I have ever felt in my life.
Then I see the criticism ... is it really needed??? So what if they used a backing track??? I was there, and heard them all play their instruments and perform excellently.

|Do you think u2 fans are the most critical fans of any band ... ever?|

WithOrWithoutYo :ohmy:

U2 fans are by far the most passionate around. And I will admit that my passion has boiled over one way or another over the years.

To group ALL U2 fans into one generic statement is erroneous. However, I will acquiesces, U2 fans are more critical of music than most. That said, I know fans of other groups are just as particular or critical of music. For example, some R.E.M. fans are questioning U2's future placement in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame! If U2 don't deserve this, then precious few artists do.

I guess some fans are more critical because U2 always strives for excellence. And as a result, when we fail to see this "excellence" in other bands, we become indifferent if not outright disparaging towards those bands. Some U2 fans though are overly critical of U2. We've been spoiled by U2's near constant reinvention and when U2 dares to sound like, well, U2, people are critical. But the fact is, on albums like ATYCLB, U2 were still highly adventurous. For example, I challenge someone to find a song like "Stuck in a Moment..." on any other U2 album. Additionally, a song like "Wild Honey", a beautiful acoustic piece, is also very unique in the U2 world. The truth is that some of these fans simply don't like these songs and they confuse that dislike with U2 not being "creative" enough.

So while we are harsh, I feel it's only a bit more harsh than fans of other bands. And we really have U2 themselves to blame for this. LOL!

Those consitently brilliant bastards! LOL --- I an understand your point, but I used to belong to an AOL U2 board, and there were some ridiculously critical fans ... every song was torn to shreds, every Bono speech was pulled apart. I don't know wether this was just an isolated group of *rseholes, but as a 17yr old from London, you don't get to meet too many u2 fans, and those I know are generally very critical.

WithOrWithOut Yo

U2 fans in general can be very critical but from what i see 90% of the "Interferencers" are anything but critical.

We got crappy snippets that show us very little and all of the sudden ppl are praising this as "U2's best song since Stay, U2's best record ever" bla bla bla.

I'll only judge this LP once i hear it for at least 1 month. And no chance i'll categorize it as THE best U2 LP ever without listening it for at least a year.

U2_Guy said:
U2 fans in general can be very critical but from what i see 90% of the "Interferencers" are anything but critical.

We got crappy snippets that show us very little and all of the sudden ppl are praising this as "U2's best song since Stay, U2's best record ever" bla bla bla.

I'll only judge this LP once i hear it for at least 1 month. And no chance i'll categorize it as THE best U2 LP ever without listening it for at least a year.

I'm praising it because I saw COBL live twice and it IS that good. All I know is that it brought tears to my eyes and I haven't cried for years.. Please don't dismiss peoples' opinions so easily.

I can't believe REM fans are questioning u2's place in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame. I've never seen such a bunch of haters in my life, I went over to murmurs.com and read one of their threads bashing u2, they are so jealous. Tell their guitar player to play a semi-hard chord and then talk to me. I didn't post there, but I wanted to. They havent had a good album in so long, they are SO not relevant now and no one cares that they put a new album out. They have their fanbase, and respects to them, but their not picking up any new fans.

Every move u2 make is analysed and they pick up a new generation of fans every album they put out. u2 are the biggest rock band in the world, hands down, and their in their forties!! That itself is amazing, that their still great is incredible, and will never be repeated again. Look at their past catalogue, not worthy? I dont mind when people are criticial of my band when in good reason, but when its out of pure jealousy, it gets on my nerves.

If the fans weren't so critical, U2 would have no reason to ever change, and they would never have made Achtung Baby, stuck to the same formula, and died out.

:|

I think DaveC got it right. How can a band not push themselves if the fanbase is weak and doesn't care.

oh, WHo fans are just as critical :yes: :wink:

example: Who fan whose musical, perhaps even philosphical expectations of Peter Townshend have been dashed :rant: :D.

I know. I've been a New York { Captitol of American Who fandom} fan since Happy Jack/A quick one[?'67], while also devouring MM, ME etc.

And I've been a U2 fan since 1980 :love: .

Last edited:
Primarily, I think U2 are most critical of themselves. It must be tremendously stressful at times. They always go for it, and rarely come up short.

But, yes, the fans ARE critical. It's almost as if we have a stake in this, too. Speaking for myself, I expect power from a U2 album. I want to be rocked out, surprised, blown away!

As a previous fan said, we can put the blame right at U2's feet. You nuts set the bar, we're just listening!

:rolleyes: to RnRHoF doubts. Jeez, look who else is in there. That place has absolutely NO qualifications. Even R.E.M. will probably get in there someday. I'm with you, RademR. U2 and R.E.M. used to be similar in fame - now, I really don't think there's any competition, given the reviews their respective albums seem to be getting.

But back on topic... I know I'm EXTREMELY critical of MANY bands - ALL bands, except the ones that I just can't help but like, and can't explain exactly why I like them. Like the Stones. They have no appeal. I know this. And yet I'm a fan. Why is this?? Same with the Eagles (although, they have a little bit more appeal). And then there's Queen, but they just rock. But I'm totally critical of most everything else.

So I admit it; I'm totally prejudiced and critical. Oh well. :shrug:

See, the problem isn't the fans. It's U2. Everything they do sucks.
The 80's:
Overly pious image
On stage speeches from Bono reminding us that racism and nuclear war are like, you know "bad."
Overwrought bellowing (not singing) from Bono
Edge playing the same Eno-esque chord right into the ground
Adam never learning to play a proper bass
Larry sounding more like a marching band drummer than a proper musician.

The 90's:
Smirking, cynical know nothing-ism
Bono falsetto-ing like a little girl
Giant Lemons
The same setlist night after night after night...
90 percent of the music being played "live" was actually pre-recorded or played by musicians hiding under the stage.
Image instead of substance.
Miami! My Mammy!
$75 Concert tickets--in the bleachers

The 00's:

Old farts rehashing the same tired old crap we were all sick of twenty years ago.
Selling out to Apple and I-tunes.
U2! The worlds greatest Adult Contemporary Band.
Instead of taking classics like With or Without You and turning them into elevator music U2 just made elevator music from the get go (All of ATYCLB)
U2 rip off A-Ha! (Beautiful Day) and the Supremes (Vertigo)
U2 actually start using Bon Jovi for inspiration (Kite)
Bono's voice so shot he sounds like a 60 year old man.
$120 concert tickets--in the bleachers.
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Seriously, this is how some U2 fans come across. I didn't make up any of these (absurd) criticisms. Most (all?) of them have been brought up right here on Wire.
There have been a few things U2 have done over the years that have rankled me (the PopMart press conference for instance) but on the whole I love the band. That's why I'm here.
If I really hated everything they do to the extend that some of you appear to I would never waste my time visiting Interference.

"90 percent of the music being played "live" was actually pre-recorded or played by musicians hiding under the stage."

Is that true?

shart1780 said:
"90 percent of the music being played "live" was actually pre-recorded or played by musicians hiding under the stage."

Is that true?

No. The drums, bass, guitar, and vocals are always live. They do use people for basic chords and sequencers on keys and the like.

shart1780 said:

Is that true?

LOL. Of course not! I have seen that comment before though..I think it was by someone who didn't respect Edge and claimed a musician has to hide under the stage and play for him. Funny? yes. But nothing could be further from the truth.

Personally from being a member of other message boards I can say that when you're a big fan of something, you tend to be critical. Some U2 fans are criticial but most back up their point and or intelligent.

We're critical but we love them. ATYCLB was boring though. New album soundz much better.

That list of criticisms was exactly where I was at when I started this thread! Nevermind - there is a lot of sense in what has been said; U2 do raise the bar higher every time, and if we're not nit-picking consistently, they'll leave it where it is.

As for the R.E.M question ... well, I think it's clear to see that, like Man Utd, they're faded giants :wink: :wink:

Back
Top Bottom