Could U2 do something to make you not a fan anymore??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oliveu2cm

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
assuming they won't drop their instruments and start dancing around... is there something that you would find so wrong or rub you the wrong way that you would stop being a fan of theirs? or have we already gone too far to ever find our way back?

for me, i say no: 1) i love them too much and 2) anything they would say that might insult me, I'd look between the lines to see if they were joking or pulling out some irony..

but i'm interested to see if i've just got bono-colored glasses on or if everyone does agree with me. (ha!)

------------------
She never really belonged to me

U2 Take Me Higher

Unfortunately, I think they could.

As an animal rights activist, and vegetarian, one thing that would drive me up the wall is if any of them wore *real* fur (Bono has worn fake fur -- VERY noticeably fake fur, but that isn't that bad), etc. I'd be pissed. But since that is sooo unlikely to happen..
wink.gif
Other than that, the only other thing that would rub me the wrong way is if they started writing Eminem-reminiscent (no offense really against Eminem fans) songs.
wink.gif
Ugh, I look like such a prude in this post.. forgive me
tongue.gif

------------------
"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Um, yes. They could totally sell out to a fad or some music style I totally dislike just to claim they had 'changed' and were 'experimenting' and 'appealing to new fans' when it is NOT what they really wanted to do and not what was in their hearts, it was only done to make some kind of statement and try to destroy their old image just for the sake of saying they did. I would really be 'pissed' and lose loads of respect for them if they did that. Imagine if they dressed like Linkin Park or CrazyTown and got multiple face and body piercings and wore hanglow pants and starting thudding around screaming out rockrap crap.

As a matter of fact, this scares me, because in the past they have been so stuck on 'not repeating themselves' and at this point 20 years down the road there really isn't much they haven't done, except rockrap. They even did a few countryfide songs. I sincerely hope that at this point in their lives U2 will have enough confidence to do what THEY want, go into the studio and record whatever comes out of their hearts and minds and DON'T WORRY about what style it is or if they have done it before. Just do it. If they remain true to U2 I know they will remain great.

Even if, God forbid, the above mentioned scenario is played out, I would still be a fan of the older stuff and listen to it. I just would have nothing to do with the new album or tour. It's so sad I don't want to think about it!

Even if their next album was pure crap, or if Bono killed someone, or if they decided to go rap, it wouldnt stop me from being a fan of everything they've done in the past. I would just have to stick to the reasons why I was a fan for all those years.

So if anything thing happens in the future that would make me 'stop being a fan' .. it still wouldnt take away my fanizm from the past. So I really wouldnt 'stop being a fan'.

Am I makin any sense here?

Originally posted by Sicy:
Even if their next album was pure crap, or if Bono killed someone, or if they decided to go rap, it wouldnt stop me from being a fan of everything they've done in the past. I would just have to stick to the reasons why I was a fan for all those years.

So if anything thing happens in the future that would make me 'stop being a fan' .. it still wouldnt take away my fanizm from the past. So I really wouldnt 'stop being a fan'.

Yes, it makes sense. That is what I was trying to say in the last paragraph of my post too.

Probably not.

Well, maybe if let's say one of them went bald or had a bad haircut.
wink.gif

Originally posted by *Stormy*:
Yes, it makes sense. That is what I was trying to say in the last paragraph of my post too.

Didnt see that before I posted.

Cool.

Originally posted by oliveu2cm:
assuming they won't drop their instruments and start dancing around...

I don't even think THAT would make me stop liking them. It would be kind of endearing, actually, especially since they probably wouldn't be able to remember the steps, Adam would sit down and smoke a cigarette, Edge would have charts drawn up for them all to follow, Bono would think he WAS doing everything correctly, and Larry would get all growly and stomp off. Okay, now I'd kind of actually like to see that....

------------------
"I don't particularly like myth, but to me mystery is everything." --The Edge
"Left my sweet soul beneath the bedclothes/ I?m not coming down/ Walls have ears/ but no one hears/ when nobody?s around"--Starsailor

nope. I seriously doubt it! NO WAY!

The answer is no!

Although, the thought of Bono rapping kinda scares me!
biggrin.gif

------------------
Looking for the one
But you know you're
somewhere else instead..
I want to be the song
Be the song that you hear in your head .....

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

Originally posted by wannabe:
Maybe if they co-wrote the soundtrack to that recent Crossroads movie...

Now THAT would be funny. Or if Bono wrote the script for Glitter.

------------------
"I don't particularly like myth, but to me mystery is everything." --The Edge
"Left my sweet soul beneath the bedclothes/ I?m not coming down/ Walls have ears/ but no one hears/ when nobody?s around"--Starsailor

Originally posted by meegannie:
I don't even think THAT would make me stop liking them. It would be kind of endearing, actually, especially since they probably wouldn't be able to remember the steps, Adam would sit down and smoke a cigarette, Edge would have charts drawn up for them all to follow, Bono would think he WAS doing everything correctly, and Larry would get all growly and stomp off. Okay, now I'd kind of actually like to see that....

LMAO!! That made me laugh so hard!!
On topic, I think it would be very hard for U2 to do something to make me stop being a fan. I have been one for most of my life; they've always just sort of been there for me. I would never stop loving the old stuff no matter what they do in the future, but I guess I won't know if they could actually do something to make me not like them unless it happens. Hopefully it never will!

------------------
Every time I close the door on reality it comes in through the windows. --Jennifer Unlimited

Originally posted by bullet the blue sky:
If they tried to slice off my genitalia, then I would be pressed to stop listening to Rattle and Hum.

For a few days.

OUCH!

------------------
Looking for the one
But you know you're
somewhere else instead..
I want to be the song
Be the song that you hear in your head .....

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

[This message has been edited by SweetOnU2 (edited 04-01-2002).]

Originally posted by elevatedmole:
Unfortunately, I think they could.

As an animal rights activist, and vegetarian, one thing that would drive me up the wall is if any of them wore *real* fur (Bono has worn fake fur -- VERY noticeably fake fur, but that isn't that bad), etc. I'd be pissed. But since that is sooo unlikely to happen..
wink.gif
Other than that, the only other thing that would rub me the wrong way is if they started writing Eminem-reminiscent (no offense really against Eminem fans) songs.
wink.gif
Ugh, I look like such a prude in this post.. forgive me
tongue.gif

So its ok for them to wear leather then? or is "leather" and "fur" the same thing where you are from?
smile.gif

Total sense Sicy! I've wondered how to explain my "lost years" and I think you did it for me perfectly.

For me, Zooropa and Pop were a little more extreme than I like. When Zooropa came out, I listened to it over and over, but within a year it never went back into my CD player. When Pop came out, though I bought Pop right away, I only listened to it a few times. I'm not saying that the albums were pure crap, just that it wasn't for me. The only tour I missed since 1984 was the Popmart tour, and that didn't help me warm up to the new albums. When they toured in 1997, I was in the middle of a difficult move and didn't feel I had the $ or time to go (we were downsizing to avoid financial problems and closed on properties on 6/30 and the concert was 7/2). Of course, I'm kicking myself now for not making it a priority to attend Popmart because I now fully believe it would have been a kind of therapy for me!

Anyhow, I stuck with Achtung Baby and the 80's music in my CD player until the Best of B Sides and ATYCLB came out. However, U2 never deviated from my #1 band slot during this period. They have always been my #1 band since 1983. I just listened to their past instead of current things for awhile.

Also, since their Elevation tour - I do like more songs from the albums that I originally did.

------------------
"There's a lot of real rubbish going on about new music & old music, can I just say we play U2 music? Is that OK?" - Bono, Us Festival 5/30/83

I hear you, BostonAnne. Me, my friends and my family, various ages, were not POP fans. We got out of U2 and wondered what in the world happened. So yes I'd have to say there are things they could do to make me not be a fan, but like everyone else has said, there is so much good music even if you don't like something they do there is always something else you are still a fan of.

There are also things they could do that have nothing to do with music that would make me mad, like if Bono was recorded undercover as telling someone he hated America and all Americans he only wants our money and laughs all the way to the bank. That would make me furious. But I don't think I have anything to worry about because I'm sure he won't do that. Right?

------------------
~Burned by the fire of love~

They did.

They came out with Achtung Baby in '91, and, being a total 80s U2 fan at the time, I ran away screaming....for 10 years. Silly me!

Actually, right now, I'm kind of sliding out of my U2 obssession...it's not something THEY would do to make me not be a fan (not that that will ever happen), but something inside *myself.*

What Sicy said... except for the 'Bono killing someone part', lol!! Though you could never take away my 'Achtung Baby' CD from me!

And *Stormy* they would never attempt rap, ever! Bono went close enough with his duet with Wyclef and that's as far as I could see them taking it.
smile.gif

ahhh yeah i get it- okay okay..
yeah i could never stop loving them or being a fan! even if they did linkin park or eminem i know i'd be completely confused not to mention ripped but i'd also know that that's not THEM, and there must be SOME reason behind it *shudders*.. i'd be putting in JT for comfort tho lol

i know i'd have a hard time defending them if they did that shit.. thank God they wouldn't huh lol!

Stormy - i don't think there's much to worry about w/ them needing to change themselves and going rap! can you imagine!
eek.gif
no,i know what you mean though. i think this next album will have even better lyrics than atyclb and music like AB. which will be stunning.

------------------
She never really belonged to me

U2 Take Me Higher

Yes-
They could.
If they became typical self indulgent rock-stars
or made predictable crap music
or
became a bunch of druggies.
They would lose me.
Something tells me they will never do these 3.

Diamond

Carrie, this topic reminded me of a guy I met once who claimed to be a hardcore U2 fan until they released Pop, then all his love turned into an ugly hatre...what an awful thing to witness...

I don't believe that such thing could ever happen to me. I love the fearless way in which they operate, the challenges they have taken so far, yet keeping their integrity as artists and human beings. That?s why I'm a follower of U2, you know
wink.gif

------------------
"To me a rock and roll concert is 3-D, it?s a physical thing - it?s rhythm for the body. It?s a mental thing in that it should be intellectually challenging. But it?s also a spiritual thing, because it?s a community, it?s people agreeing on something, even if it?s only for an hour and a half." (Bono, as quoted in the book U2 The Road to Pop)

[This message has been edited by follower (edited 04-01-2002).]

lol@"bono-coloured glasses"
"..I've been accused of wearing rose-coloured glasses,
There's been no reason for them to turn black..."
part of a ditty I was writing for my sister..lol, gotta add a verse about Bono shades.

Well if they do something that quenches my fire, I'll let you know.Although, if it was an action of such magnitude, I think I'd be lost in the din of reaction.

If any of them cheated on their girls, I would lose most of the respect I have for them (since my admiration for the band is largely tied to their integrity). But I would not stop being a fan of their music, as I have found too much truth in those lines relevant to my own life to ever turn away from it.

------------------
"Love is a verb..."
enterangell@cs.com

I don't think so, short of them just becoming outright asshole rock stars.

I have been a U2 fan as early as the age of 9, but I have had my "down" periods like everyone else. I took a break from them in 95-98, but I still listened to them and loved them. I think the only time I was ever "turned off" was at the very beginning of the POP era. I came around once the ABC special aired, and even almost went to the Detroit show (for some stupid reason I didn't, still regretting it now!). But other than the reason I just stated, nothing could make me a non-U2 fan.
smile.gif

------------------
Stay with the demons you drowned
Stay with the spirit I found
Stay and the night would be enough

Hmm...if Bono left Ali for another woman...I wouldn't like it...not at all.

I think that have been there done most of that...I really don't think we have to worry about them all that much...

dream wanderer

Originally posted by dream wanderer:
Hmm...if Bono left Ali for another woman...I wouldn't like it...not at all.

Dreamweaver, are you serious about this? I know it's your personal opinion, but I'm curious to know why this would matter. Is it a girl thing?

I personally would prefer if they stay together, especially since they seem so in love and have 4 beautiful chidren, but if he wants to leave Ali, I'd be dissapointed, but thats it.

I mean, think about it, Ali is what? 42? He should leave her and get two 21 year olds instead. Makes sense, No?

PS The last comment was a joke.

Well musically they already did some not-so-likable-to-me stuff, so that's out of the way.
biggrin.gif

Even Bono rapping doesn't scare me - hey he can always go with the nickame B-man.

I don't think i could stop listening to the music, but i'd be dissapointed if they became drug addicts. Or get caught up in any scandals.

Back
Top Bottom