Could U2 do something to make you not a fan anymore??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by Diamond The U2 Patriot:
Yes-
They could.
If they became typical self indulgent rock-stars
or made predictable crap music
or
became a bunch of druggies.
They would lose me.
Something tells me they will never do these 3.

Diamond

I agree~~

and also.....just the image of Bono rapping is really funny. He's just too white.
biggrin.gif
LITERALLY.

I made up a script with a U2 boy band many moons ago...I'll have to dig that up. But basically~ yeah it's basically if they started to do things that didn't comply with the way I already believe in them.
I'd probably just keep listening to the older U2 music, though......but if they ever really changed in a way that I lost respect fer them (this is like what everyone else already said....o well), that would suck a large object. :p

------------------
~*Mona*~
ani_bono.gif

LOVE me, give me SOUL

"Rock n Roll never tasted so good" ~Bono

"For the good of the nation ~ you MUST defile Bono" ~Echo
Get on the Boos

Many have I loved
Many times been bitten
Many times I've gazed
Along the open road.

Originally posted by Angell:
If any of them cheated on their girls, I would lose most of the respect I have for them (since my admiration for the band is largely tied to their integrity). But I would not stop being a fan of their music, as I have found too much truth in those lines relevant to my own life to ever turn away from it.

Actually, didnt Bono supposedly fool around on Ali during the Zoo TV tour?

Originally posted by MBH:

Actually, didnt Bono supposedly fool around on Ali during the Zoo TV tour?

Details? I know the press is fond of saying any rock star within ten feet of another woman must be having an affair with her, but I never thought any of that was taken seriously. I was not a U2 fan at that time...can anyone enlighten me on this?

------------------
"Love is a verb..."
enterangell@cs.com

Lip sync on stage. That annoys the living daylights out of me..
I doubt I'd stop liking them, but I'd be pissed at them for awhile
eek.gif

------------------
This device must accept any Interference received, including Interference that may cause undesired operation.

u2er@u2email.com

Originally posted by Angell:
Details? I know the press is fond of saying any rock star within ten feet of another woman must be having an affair with her, but I never thought any of that was taken seriously. I was not a U2 fan at that time...can anyone enlighten me on this?

There have been lots of rumors, but Bono and Ali deny them. I remember very well seeing Bono, in his Mirrorball Man outfit, hugging Christy Turlington in a tabloid (I forget which) and it was captioned that Bono had split with his wife Ali for her. When I first saw it I was shocked, and very disappointed in him. I had always admired him for keeping his high school sweetheart wife and loving her, not ditching her for some trophy model like other rock stars. That pissed me off. Later, I saw he was still with Ali, and of course the tabloid claimed he had 'gone back to her.' Then I read somewhere that Bono was complaining that when the pic was taken of him and Turlington, Ali actually was there too, it was a pic of all three as friends, but the tabloid had cut Ali out to make a story! I felt so ashamed for believing it for a minute, but stuff like that happens. I'm glad it was only a rumor. Look at Bono and Ali now, in love after so many years. How sweet.

------------------
"I DO go on, don't I?"-Bono, MCI Center, DC, June 14, 2001

They did, they put out POP and totally changed in every way from being the band I loved to something I couldn't stand. There were reasons I had loved U2, and with POP they took a hacksaw and destroyed all of them. Unlike most of you who say you'd still love their old songs even if you stopped liking them now, I was actually so heartbroken by them I found it impossible to hear their old stuff without feeling sad. It was honestly like breaking up with someone after a long term relationship and being too devastated emotionally to look at their pics or remember your times together.(I went into much detail in the '2 seperate bands' thread here by wertsie, and I don't feel like telling it all again) It HURT to remember the past and the good times. I put them away. Well, the more you love the harder you fall. Thank goodness for ATYCLB and Elevation! I love them more than ever now. I hope we never 'break up' again.

------------------
"I've been all over,
and it's been all over me!"

I honestly don't think there's ANYTHING they could do that would make me stop being a fan. I love it all, from Boy to ATYCLB.

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com

I couldn't care less about their lovelife. They can do whatever they want... what I do care about is the music, and their political leanings. If all their future music would become incredibly crappy of course I wouldn't like them anymore. I would still of course like their previous stuff but I wouldn't be able to call them my fave band anymore. Second, if they became conservatives. I would most surely stop being a fan. But I'm pretty sure none of the two will come true...

You know, if I held peoples' political beliefs and personal lives against them I probably wouldn't have a record collection. But with U2 it's different, I think I expect more and better from them and hold them to a higher standard because they are the BEST. It is the music, and the image of themselves that matter most.

------------------
"I DO go on, don't I?"-Bono, MCI Center, DC, June 14, 2001

Back
Top Bottom