could bono or U2..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

popacrobat

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
write classical music or some sort of symphony? would it be any good if they did try to do such a thing?

i mean, they've been all over the place on the musical spectrum. they've been radio friendly rock (vertigo), pop (stuck), experimental (passengers), techno-infulenced (mofo/ do you feel loved), straight forward rock (new years day, pride), slow ballads (one, wowy) etc... i could go on and on.

but the point being, they've never delved into classical music. would anybody be interested in hearing such a thing and do you think they are even capable of it? i'm studying some mozart and j.s.bach in class and it's pretty intricate.

so basically, do you think u2 could successfully write a symphony or something similar and better yet- would you want to hear it? i think it would be pretty interesting.

NO, NO, NO...

No they couldn't write it and no we wouldn't want to hear it. Just like we wouldn't want to hear a pop album or a rock album by Beethoven.

I think a pop album by Beethoven would be neat as well. I see no reason why you have to be locked into a certain genre. yes, both are brilliant at their art, but don't many here itch for something fresh (main complaint i see of atomic bomb/all that you cant leave behind).

i know it's off the wall, but rather just see opinions on this rather than discuss the same topics 909x :wink:

idk but I had the weirdest dream that U2 were doing show tunes. and they held their concert on some tacky high school stage

Well, it's not impossible... Roger Waters of Pink Floyd wrote an opera (a REAL opera, not a rock opera) and there are parts of it that are absolutely brilliant. One should never underestimate the abilities of rock musicians. However, the only member of U2 I can see having the musical creativity to pull off something symphonic or classical in nature is The Edge.

It's nice to see a fresh topic around here, for a change. :up:

see, I think the Edge and Bono could pull it off pretty well. the reason I think you need to include Bono in the discussion here is the fact that he seems to have some sort of fascination with opera and with his father being a tenor and that sort- i mean the only reason I say this is because of his ad nausem pre- sometimes you can't make it on your own speech, and his love for pavoratti. i do agree with you that the Edge is probably the most creative member of the band, but i do think that Bono could come up with some pretty cool stuff too.

To what extent, I'm not sure, but 20 years from now, or 15 years from now when they are in their 60's or so, I think it would be a pretty cool project for them to take on. for one thing, it would certainly challenge them- something that they really haven't even had to do since Achtung Baby if you think about it and they certainly haven't been challenged after All That You Can't Leave Behind. I'm not saying in either of these cases this is a bad thing either. I'm saying that from a standpoint of the media loves them etc., and they can pretty much do whatever they want musically and commercially. Pop is the only time that it went awry in the last 20 years.

those looking for a radical departure in u2 and a push away from the mainstream, this is for you :wink:

popacrobat said:
I think a pop album by Beethoven would be neat as well. I see no reason why you have to be locked into a certain genre. yes, both are brilliant at their art, but don't many here itch for something fresh (main complaint i see of atomic bomb/all that you cant leave behind).

i know it's off the wall, but rather just see opinions on this rather than discuss the same topics 909x :wink:

I'm not talking about being locked into a genre. I think U2 could easily pull off other genres such as country, metal, or other pop genres. But classical and pop genres are two entirely different animals, otherwords it's not just a matter of changing up rhythms and influences when going from pop to classical.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I'm not talking about being locked into a genre. I think U2 could easily pull off other genres such as country, metal, or other pop genres. But classical and pop genres are two entirely different animals, otherwords it's not just a matter of changing up rhythms and influences when going from pop to classical.

right, but if you want to see u2 push their boundaries and creativity to the extreme, this is probably the most extreme one could get, no?

i understand it's an entirely different animal and it's far more intricate than just changing rhythms and influences. i never said it would be easy. i never even said they SHOULD do it. i'm just wondering if people would want to see them do it, and to see if they would be capable of it. if given 5-10 years to create something of this nature, you don't think they actually could? i'm not saying that in a - 'oh ho- u2 can do anything'- i'm legitimately asking that. you don't think the edge or bono or all of u2 could pull it off? i'm not sure myself if they could or couldn't.

popacrobat said:

right, but if you want to see u2 push their boundaries and creativity to the extreme, this is probably the most extreme one could get, no?

i understand it's an entirely different animal and it's far more intricate than just changing rhythms and influences. i never said it would be easy. i never even said they SHOULD do it. i'm just wondering if people would want to see them do it, and to see if they would be capable of it. if given 5-10 years to create something of this nature, you don't think they actually could? i'm not saying that in a - 'oh ho- u2 can do anything'- i'm legitimately asking that. you don't think the edge or bono or all of u2 could pull it off? i'm not sure myself if they could or couldn't.

I really do think that Edge could pull it off. And I'd be extremely interested to hear it. Maybe a few years down the line, as you said. I'm not entirely convinced about Bono...he might be interested in it, no doubt, but interest doesn't necessarily translate into ability. Writing a symphony or an opera requires immense understanding of musical structure and form. It also requires a perfectionistic mind, and the self-discipline to see a composition through. These are qualities that Edge most certainly seems to have. Bono...I don't know. I've always seen Bono as kind of the "ideas man", not necessarily the musician of the band.

But anyway, I do think it would be interesting to see Edge attempt something like this, maybe once U2 have stopped making records. BVS - yes, pop music and classical are entirely different genres that each require an entirely different approach. It's not impossible for a pop or rock musician to pull it off successfully, though. I've already given an example. The man who wrote this also wrote this...and it hit number one on the Sony classical charts.

GibsonGirl said:

BVS - yes, pop music and classical are entirely different genres that each require an entirely different approach. It's not impossible for a pop or rock musician to pull it off successfully, though. I've already given an example. The man who wrote this also wrote this...and it hit number one on the Sony classical charts.

True, nothing is impossible.

GibsonGirl said:

I really do think that Edge could pull it off. And I'd be extremely interested to hear it. Maybe a few years down the line, as you said. I'm not entirely convinced about Bono...he might be interested in it, no doubt, but interest doesn't necessarily translate into ability. Writing a symphony or an opera requires immense understanding of musical structure and form. It also requires a perfectionistic mind, and the self-discipline to see a composition through. These are qualities that Edge most certainly seems to have. Bono...I don't know. I've always seen Bono as kind of the "ideas man", not necessarily the musician of the band.

But anyway, I do think it would be interesting to see Edge attempt something like this, maybe once U2 have stopped making records. BVS - yes, pop music and classical are entirely different genres that each require an entirely different approach. It's not impossible for a pop or rock musician to pull it off successfully, though. I've already given an example. The man who wrote this also wrote this...and it hit number one on the Sony classical charts.

very good points Re: the edge and bono. I'm just not sure to what extent bono's role as a musician itself is within the band. i tend to agree that he's more of an ideas man for sure. it would be interesting to be able to sit on on their recording sessions to see exactly who does what etc., and who pushes who, who understands more etc..

but :up: for the reply. just what i was looking for. i agree, i would be very interested in hearing something like this after they're done creating rock/pop records. i think it would be something that they could create (relatively) stress free in the sense they wouldn't have to really worry about critics reviews at all, it would be basically writing it for themselves and a very small demographic- those who love classical/opera etc. and their extreme hardcore fans. i just think it would be a cool thing to hear down the line and really push themselves.

that said, i wouldn't want them to start working on this between albums or tours, because it would probably detract for the new album and delay things even further.

down the line, i would hope that the edge or bono the whole band attempts to do something though, even if it sucks. it would be awesome for them to REALLY challenge themselves.

popacrobat said:

Yes it may be the most extreme, but it doesn't mean they should tackle it. The extreme just for extreme's sake doesn't necessarily amount to anything.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Yes it may be the most extreme, but it doesn't mean they should tackle it. The extreme just for extreme's sake doesn't necessarily amount to anything.

i don't disagree. but it would really push their writing capabilities and creativeness etc. I'm not saying any time soon as i said in my prior post, i'm just saying before it's all said and done, I think it would be interesting for them to tackle it. even if it is for extreme's sake. it would be far bolder than passengers.

popacrobat said:

even if it is for extreme's sake.

Not if anyone isn't interested in it. Maybe opera, but I haven't seen anything where any of the members of U2 would be interested in doing classical.

If someone like Yanni can fuse pop and classical, then yes I would say Edge can pull it off.

popacrobat said:

it would be far bolder than passengers.

Agreed. But I wouldn't want any member of the band to attempt it just for the purpose of being different or bold - in order for it to be good, they'd really have to want to do it out of a desire to explore their musical ability and out of an interest for the genre. I for one would love to hear their take on it. Of course, I am a fan of classical music, so that might have something to do with it. :wink: It wouldn't be every U2 fan's cup of tea.

Anyway, I must take off for the night. I'd just like to give you a thumbs up for creating an interesting topic that has nothing to do with U2 3-bloody-D. :up:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Not if anyone isn't interested in it. Maybe opera, but I haven't seen anything where any of the members of U2 would be interested in doing classical.

who's to say that, though? just because they haven't stated so publicly doesn't mean they wouldn't be interested in it at some point. i wouldn't expect them to just come out and say, "hey in 15 years we're going to write some classical music!"

either way, you don't think they could, don't want them to and don't think they would and that's a-ok. I think that at least the Edge could, may or may not need help from bono, larry and adam and would like them to pursue it if they want later on. to each their own.

GibsonGirl said:

Agreed. But I wouldn't want any member of the band to attempt it just for the purpose of being different or bold - in order for it to be good, they'd really have to want to do it out of a desire to explore their musical ability and out of an interest for the genre. I for one would love to hear their take on it. Of course, I am a fan of classical music, so that might have something to do with it. :wink: It wouldn't be every U2 fan's cup of tea.

Anyway, I must take off for the night. I'd just like to give you a thumbs up for creating an interesting topic that has nothing to do with U2 3-bloody-D. :up:

oh i agree. when i said if for nothing else but extreme's sake I kind of misspoke. I didn't mean for that sole reason. i would obviously want them to be passionate about it and to go out and prove to the world that they can write amazing mainstream songs and then go in this direction and do it well. they would have to be 100% in to make it good, i agree.

thanks- and thanks again for the replies.

popacrobat said:

who's to say that, though? just because they haven't stated so publicly doesn't mean they wouldn't be interested in it at some point. i wouldn't expect them to just come out and say, "hey in 15 years we're going to write some classical music!"

either way, you don't think they could, don't want them to and don't think they would and that's a-ok. I think that at least the Edge could, may or may not need help from bono, larry and adam and would like them to pursue it if they want later on. to each their own.

True, they haven't stated that they are interested in syncronized swimming, but hey maybe in 10 years or so they would be interested.

Look, I'm just basing my OPINIONs on what I've seen over the last almost 30 years. They've explored the roots of rock, they've explored dance, crooner music, and other forms of pop genres. Hints of opera and Bono's love for it have always been there. They've always been very honest and prided themselves on knowing their limitations... None of this shows me they have any desire or capacity for classical music.

Bono has talked about classical music and he even showed up on a Classical compilation where pop artists chose their favorite pieces, but that's the closest association to classical that I've seen U2.

Back
Top Bottom