Could Bono have preformed Lemon durring Popmart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jdelbove

Acrobat
do u guys think Bono had the vocal ability to preform Lemon durring the Popmart tour. From listening to bootlegs it seems his regular singing voice was week but his falsetto was very strong. Maybe his flasetto wasnt as reliable as the Zoo tv tour but it was strong and lead to some of the most beautiful falsetto singing he has ever done. Like the trasition from please to streets. I would realy like to hear him try lemon again though I dobt he could do it now maybe durring the Pop tour maybe.

in my opnion from the bootlegs I have heard and the PopMart Mexico City. I DO think that he could have pulled it off ,but I think it would have to be a snippet not the whole song. Therefore it would suck. :|

hmm...well i guess we'll see on the next tour if he still has it...maybe they will do lemon :)

I agree though, I don't think he could have done the entire song on the popmart tour, just a snippet would be suitable

remember how strong bono's voice was by the end of the vertigo tour..hopefully that will carry into the new record, and maybe that falsetto will surface again..who knows...actually come to think of it...Bono had some insane falsettos scattered around the vertigo tour....

but judging from that clip in morocco his voice is in pretty good shape:wink:

Last edited:
Lemon was the perfect song for popmart, it must have crossed their minds to perform it. Maybe there was some technical problem such as his voice, but in my opinion I think he could have handled it.

I think Lemon would have worked well in the context of Popmart, maybe better than it did for Zoo TV, and the song did seem especially apt for that tour, after all the band are travelling in a lemon and a mix of the track itself was played prior to the encore, so the idea of performing it must have been in the air.

Whether Bono could have sung it is another matter, his voice was very inconsistent on Popmart, some shows he was really on form, some shows he wasn't. Ultimately on the right night I think he could have sung it, or at least a snippet of it. In the end I think it was due to his vocal difficulties, and the fact that the song had such a distinctive style, that they chose against playing, in spite of the fact that they probably wanted to.

He could, but not with such a strong falsetto he had on ZooTV. The falsetto was still very strong on Popmart but he had lost a bit of it.

But his falsetto on the 5th leg was amazing, he sang one of his highest falsettos ever, an E5. I think the only one that is stronger is the falsetto in the end of WTSHNN on 1989-12-26 - Dublin.
Also he sang the word "Child" on MW in falsetto.
So I hope he could take more vocal lessons.

I hope they do a new updated version of lemon on their next tour. Bono doesn't have to necessarily sing the whole song in falsetto just some key parts would do. Hearing it again would be so much joy!

yea i wish they had tried it on Popmart it definately fit the feel of the entire show. And they played it live well too that preformance from Zoo tv sidney is as good as the zooropa recorded version.

One problem with playing Lemon live is that even if Bono could handle the vocals musically there's so many effects, loops etc... required (even a lot by U2's standards) that it is virtually U2 karoke. It sounds kind of fake for those 3 instruments to create the backing track for Lemon. There's just too much going on that isn't being played by the band and it comes across as rather odd. They'd need to rework it and I'm not sure they could be bothered with spending that sort of effort on it.

Back
Top Bottom