could american prayer be the worst song ever written?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
elevated_u2_fan said:
Is this the same one he sang with Alicia Keys on Oprah?

If so, it was bland and unmemorable yes, worst song ever, I do not think so...

:ohmy: Take it back! :madspit:

J/k but that is one of my favorite Peter Gabriel songs and I was really excited when Bono and Alicia Keys covered it

and I don't see what some people are complaining about. U2Man doesn't like a song, U2Man is saying he doesn't like a song, if you don't agree say so, but there's no reason to say that he's only trying to cause trouble or whatnot....

and in case you couldn't understand Beaker's singing, here are the lyrics.
woo woo woo...

FEELINGS (Morris Albert)

Feelings, nothing more than feelings,
trying to forget my feelings of love.
Teardrops rolling down on my face,
trying to forget my feelings of love.

Feelings, for all my life I'll feel it.
I wish I've never met you, girl; you'll never come again.

Feelings, wo-o-o feelings,
wo-o-o, feel you again in my arms.

Feelings, feelings like I've never lost you
and feelings like I've never have you again in my heart.

Feelings, for all my life I'll feel it.
I wish I've never met you, girl; you'll never come again.

Feelings, feelings like I've never lost you
and feelings like I've never have you again in my life.

Feelings, wo-o-o feelings,
wo-o-o, feelings again in my arms.
Feelings...(repeat & fade)

soory but this is not about singing. this about the worst song ever written. so feelings takes it by a mile.

now, do i wish i were Morris Albert? yes, i'd be laughing all the way to the bank.

cha-ching cha-ching.

Axver said:

Yes, Stuck In A Moment rules. It rules the list of poorly written, over-produced, lame, cliche songs.

(A list American Prayer can't qualify for as it hasn't had the chance to be over-produced. Though I don't doubt its time will come ...)

Well it's better than One Tree Hill.:wink:

Let me tell you having had to endure a school disco for 7 and 8 year olds last week where the likes of the Birdie Song, Fast Food Song, the Barbie Song and Steps :yuck: were played all night (British "song" writing at its very worst) I would have killed to hear American Prayer which normally I would switch over from at the first bars.

U2Man said:
as a u2 fan it's somehow embarrassing to know that bono wrote the worst song that has ever been written.

Back in 2002, when Bono was on his tour across the U.S. informing the WILDLY uninformed U.S. public about the plight in Africa, I felt that this song was apropos. He performed a nice acoustic version that was not only relevant to his tour, but also satiated those who came to see Bono, the lead singer of U2, not Bono, the spokesman.

Since, then, the arrangement has taken on a life of its own, growing more grandiose each time I hear it. The AI version was filled with cheese.

I think the Bono only version from '02 is best. While not something you'd put on repeat on your iPod, it's a decent song. Now, it's reminiscent of "We Are the World".

doctorwho said:

Back in 2002, when Bono was on his tour across the U.S. informing the WILDLY uninformed U.S. public about the plight in Africa, I felt that this song was apropos. He performed a nice acoustic version that was not only relevant to his tour, but also satiated those who came to see Bono, the lead singer of U2, not Bono, the spokesman.

Since, then, the arrangement has taken on a life of its own, growing more grandiose each time I hear it. The AI version was filled with cheese.

I think the Bono only version from '02 is best. While not something you'd put on repeat on your iPod, it's a decent song. Now, it's reminiscent of "We Are the World".

I agree. Again, it was originally arranged and performed with part of an African children's choir (not THE ACC, I can't remember their actual name). Why would we expect to hear children singing and dancing to lyrics on the level of U2s best songs? Those kids are what made the song for me, not Beyonce or some AI posers.

danish_blue_cheese.jpg

Liesje said:

I agree. Again, it was originally arranged and performed with part of an African children's choir (not THE ACC, I can't remember their actual name). Why would we expect to hear children singing and dancing to lyrics on the level of U2s best songs? Those kids are what made the song for me, not Beyonce or some AI posers.

a song doesnt have to have great or deep lyrics in order to be good. any child can sing and dance to mr. sandman. and that's an awesome song, as light-weight as it may be.

american prayer is just awful all the way. musically and lyrically.

U2Man said:

a song doesnt have to have great or deep lyrics in order to be good.

Yah, that was my point :wink: Besides, it doesn't matter how "good" the song is/was, because at the time it was introduced it served its purpose perfectly. Not a dry eye as far as I could see.

compared to american prayer, even new day is a classical masterpiece.

Back
Top Bottom