could american prayer be the worst song ever written?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
elevated_u2_fan said:
Is this the same one he sang with Alicia Keys on Oprah?

If so, it was bland and unmemorable yes, worst song ever, I do not think so...

no, thats not the one. he sang "dont give up", a peter gabriel song, with alicia keys on oprah. thats a fine song.

rihannsu said:
An example of the state of journalism today.

Song Title: American Prayer
Show Title: American Idol

Conclusion: Must have been specially commissioned for the show.

Journalists today must not have Internet access because they seem incapable of fact checking. Or maybe they just don't give a rat's ass about facts.

Dana

Heheh, yep. Also, to be a "journalist" these days all you need is a modem, a bathrobe, and an opinion.

...I haven't heard this song, but as a general rule, I am very wary of songs that include "America" in the title. Not being unpatriotic, it's just that they can be reallllllly cheezy if the artist isn't reallllly good.

LyricalDrug said:

Heheh, yep. Also, to be a "journalist" these days all you need is a modem, a bathrobe, and an opinion.

...I haven't heard this song, but as a general rule, I am very wary of songs that include "America" in the title. Not being unpatriotic, it's just that they can be reallllllly cheezy if the artist isn't reallllly good.

you've made neil diamond very sad.

2005_05_neildiamondconpost.jpg

:sad:

remember there were rumors it might be on HTDAAB when they were making the album?

God, it would have dropped the rating on that record just by itself

RademR said:
remember there were rumors it might be on HTDAAB when they were making the album?

"Don't believe what you hear
Don't believe what you see
If you just close your eyes
You can feel the enemy"

Did you know Edge used to post here and Bono paid a million dollars just to ship his hat to a concert that he decided not to wear?

Don't ever believe some rumor started on interference.

last unicorn said:

The South Africa version with Beyonce was the first one I heard, I liked it! But now that I heard the solo version of Bono from the Heart of America tour I have to say that I like that version more.

I agree I like the demo better.
The 46664 version was a lot more worse than the original demo, which had a backing choir and all.
Somehow it's got more spirit than the 46664 version.
I can't imagine what it would sound like with J.Lo
(Bono wanted to perform the song on a Superbowl halftime show with her I read in the papers a couple of years ago)

The American Idol version is more like the demo with it's original chorus, but still not the best take on it in my opinion.

Last edited:
U2Man said:
as a u2 fan it's somehow embarrassing to know that bono wrote the worst song that has ever been written.

Ummmm, have you heard R. Kelly's latest one for the Virgina Tech benefit. (Great cause, btw, I am in NO WAY knocking or making light of the V. Tech massacre.)

It's called "Rise Up" . . . . . . . and it was penned by R. Kelly. Need I say more. :yuck: :sick:

American Prayer is better than............................................................................................ Anything written by Radio Head:ohmy:

:wink: Kidding. It's an OK song. In reality if you want to know the truth.

unico said:
what the hell? there was a Virginia Tech benefit???? not here. at least, not til august :shh:

Oh, sorry. Not a benefit. A memorial fund. My mistake. :reject:

NEW YORK (AP) -- R&B artist R. Kelly has written and recorded a new song, "Rise Up," about healing in the aftermath of the April 16 shootings at Virginia Tech.

"Rise Up" will be available digitally May 15, and 100 percent of the net proceeds from its sale will go to the Hokie Spirit Memorial Fund, said Jive Records, Kelly's record label.

Kelly, 40, wrote the inspirational ballad after watching the events unfold on television while he was on route to a performance, Jive said. A gunman killed more than 30 people and himself on the university's campus in Blacksburg, Virginia.

The lyrics include the lines: "Rise up, when you feel you can't go on, rise up, and all of your hope is gone, rise up, when you're weak and you can't be strong."

The Hokie Spirit Memorial Fund was created to provide assistance to the victims of the families, as well as grief counseling and other needs for those affected by the shootings.

Kelly, a Grammy Award-winner, also wrote the uplifting "I Believe I Can Fly" as well as the more edgy "Bump 'n' Grind."

unico said:

ah okay!! thanks for the info. i haven't heard it yet to judge the suckiness, but that was nice of him.

You know, though many of us may end up finding the song really cheesy, I think people that were as close to the tragedy as you were/are will probably find the song very moving and cathartic. And in that case then, won't the song have accomplished what music is intended to do?

I guess cheese, like all else, is subjective.

FitzChivalry said:

You know, though many of us may end up finding the song really cheesy, I think people that were as close to the tragedy as you were/are will probably find the song very moving and cathartic. And in that case then, won't the song have accomplished what music is intended to do?

I guess cheese, like all else, is subjective.

true. but you may be right, it probably does suck. but hey, as long as it is bringin in the dollas, i'm all about it :up:

hcbiggs2002 said:
I think the honour of worst song in the world really belongs to 'Toast', a little ditty by Paul Young, that he released under an assumed name (who could blame him!?!) back in the early 80's, that's not worth even the paper it was written on!! :lol:

Oh my god! I remember hearing that on Dr. Demento back in the 80s. Ha! "A li'l piece o' toast." (That's all I remember from the song.)

American Prayer could not be the worst song every written. Not while "My Humps" exists.

i like everything that has been mentioned in here better than american prayer.

U2Man said:
i like everything that has been mentioned in here better than american prayer.

i bet if bono had written The Cheeky Song you'd have a new thread saying it was the worst song ever written.

i think you were just hypnotized by the shiny booty shorts.

GibsonGirl said:
Sadly, most charity songs are cheesy. While American Prayer is cringe-worthy, it is not even half as bad as this and others like it:

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaands across Americaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaands across this land I looooooooooooooove!

United we staaaaaaaaaaaaaaand
Divided we faaaaaaaaaaaaaall!

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaands across Americaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom