Cool Stuff From USA Today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EdgeVox

War Child
(I thought it was cool thought y'all would be interested)
Everybody's got an opinion on the music industry. What's your view on the latest releases? The state of radio? Are you happy with current releases, or are your tastes more old school? USA TODAY's music critic Edna Gundersen is here to elaborate on her picks and pans, and to hear what you've got to say on the subject of music.

12/06/2001 - Updated 02:35 PM ET

pittsburgh, pa : whats up edna?! have you heard the U2 song "Summer Rain" I got a free promo copy of the song at my record store shortly after "All That You Cant..." was released and the song must have come from those recording sessions. It's an incredible song and for the life of me I have NO idea why it didnt make the album. Which leads me to my question: Do bands withhold songs from records a lot? I know that some songs they just dont like or dont think that they fit the sound or flow of the rest of the record, but some bands, like U2 have incredible b-sides, and it seems almost a shame that such strong songs arent on the albums. "Summer Rain" is far stronger than "Grace" and "Stuck in a Moment" on that album thanks

Edna Gundersen: One of these days, U2 is going to release a remarkable box set of all the b-sides and outtakes that most of us missed. Artists routinely record more than is necessary for a given album, and the leftovers quite often eclipse the chosen tunes. But it isn't just quality that determines the lineup. Artists seek a seamless flow and a balance of textures and tempos in sequencing a record. One of the best songs to come out of Bob Dylan's Oh Mercy sessions was Series of Dreams, which didn't make the album and cropped up later in a different collection.

Plymouth Mtg., PA : My fav new realease is Creed's new cd Weathered.I think it is their best work to date.Even thought most critics diss them,they still seem to rise to the top.I wish there were more bands out there who work as hard as a band like U2.They are the hardest working band in music today!! Radio still plays the same songs over and over again. So sometimes when i want to hear some Radiohead,it is really hard to find them on the airwaves.I wish pop music would just go away! The Britney's,the Nsync's and the Backsteet Boy's of the world.I think the music is fading out slowly,but surely.We need to get back to good old fashion roc and roll!!

Edna Gundersen: I have to part ways with you on Creed. While some of the material works for me, most of it seems dreary and redundant. I agree wholeheartedly about U2, who are miles above the competition in both commercial and artistic appeal. I'm plenty sick of bubblegum but I'm not sure a return to "old-fashioned" rock 'n' roll is the answer, unless you mean the values and creativity underlying the best of bygone rock. I'm certainly ready to hear something fresh in a plain brown wrapper -- without the cheesy choreography, sex kitten outfits and high-tech props.

Pittsburgh, Pa : What the hell was Scott Stapp thinking when he put "Creed" and "Led Zeppelin" in the same sentence?

Edna Gundersen: He's an insufferable blowhard. If he truly embraces Christian ideals, where is his humility?

Camarillo, Calif. : Did you see the second leg of U2's tour? I saw them in L.A. (Nov. 19 show), and their show was the best concert I've ever experienced. Yet Bon Jovi won "Hottest Live Show" on the My VH1 awards. Huh?

Edna Gundersen: Yes, I saw all three shows and I was knocked out, not only by the grandness of the production and the quality of the music but also by the emotional resonance. A truly uplifting experience. I don't have much regard for the My VH1 awards as a barometer of artistic relevance.

hg23943.jpg

Back
Top Bottom