Converting Family & Friends

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Utoo

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Though only a basic U2 fan, my wife now knows all the lyrics.

When we first met, I too was a "basic"/"average" fan. I liked whatever U2 they played on the radio, and I owned JT & AB. In recent years, however, I've become one of those crazy super-fans, living & breathing U2 (with some time for a few new bands, too), listening to them all the time, and acquiring as much U2 stuff as I can. I pretty much blindsided my wife! Luckily, this change occurred before we got married three months ago--and she still went through with the wedding! :wink:

With some sort of U2 playing in the radio, computer, iPod, or on DVD at all times, she is now a U2 convert by osmosis! Even when there's no music playing, I'll hear her singing to herself in the other room: "Freedom has a scent, like the top of a newborn baby's head..." or "One man comes in the name of love..." or "I'm not sleeeeeping, oh no."

This just makes me so happy, I thought I'd post about it. :yes:

Anyone else have tales of 'conversion by osmosis?'

Kind of. When I first met my current girlfriend she thought it was kinda sad that I liked U2 (this is before we were going out lol) but after my playing them a lot and making her listen to certain tracks after we did start going out she became hooked. Her iTunes / iPod is filled with them and she's joined a bout half a million U2 LJ communities. Score ^_^

NO, it's definitely not working for me. My husband has no interest, thus I am going to 3 concerts alone. I am forbidden to speak of my love for U2 with my girlfriends, they just roll their eyes. My 2 daughters tolerate it, in fact for my birthday I got the In Conversation book and "Bomb" on vinyl.

I converted my wife to an "average" fan. Previous to meeting me, she didn't know much at all by them. She now enjoys whatever I play for her, but is not obsessed like Mr Numb is.

I gave up on friends as my energy wears thin......

I am working hard though on molding my 1 year old son to see the light !

It feels so good when you successfully convert someone! I think the quickest way is to bring them to a concert (like I did). The hard part is trying to convince them to pay the $180 or whatever you paid for the ticket...

Conversion by osmosis... I guess I missed a great opportunity for that last year when rooming with my best friend. I played enough U2 for her to get familiar with their style but probably not enough to make her into a fan. :sigh:

Hubby said he would go to Pittsburgh with me but I wanted GA and he wont go stand in line all day. Also Im not paying $200 for a ticket for a casual listener. If I thought there was a chance of converting him, I'd do it. I'm pondering selling my single behind the stage ticket in dec and finding 2 somewhere and taking him.

I converted my Mom and brother and just now my youngest brother is getting into them. My freinds have been tougher to convince. though when I brought 4 of them to the Vancouver shows it managed to convert 3 out of 4 so that's pretty awsome.

I have converted my parents, but my husband is a lost cause. he lied and told me he loved them the night we met, but of course I soon discovered he had never heard of them! WTF! I have tried for 4 years and I just don't care anymore. I accepted a long time ago he has bad taste in music.:ohmy:

I converted my sister. I discovered U2 my freshman year of college. And when I came home that summer, they were all I listened to. Through sheer osmosis, she learned all the songs, and went out and got all the albums, too.

However, a sort of reverse osmosis worked, too. By the time Pop was released, I was no longer living at home, and so my sister never heard the CD. To this day she has not heard Pop or anything that came after it.

I converted my brother into an average U2 fan. in the car I constantly played my ipod and when I had freetime at home he'd always catch me watching dvds or listening to bootlegs.

last month I caught him listening to them behind my back! I turned the car engine on one day, and found out he took my Best Of cds and he's been secretly listening to them in the car without me. :shifty:

it's ironic cause he just walked into my room and was humming New Year's Day.. :lol:

I turned my father into a U2 fan. He and I went to see U2 in Toronto together, and I think he was almost as excited as I was! He's more a fan of the older stuff (apart from the "shit punk phase" as he calls it) but he doesn't mind some of the new stuff. I haven't plucked up the courage to give him Pop to listen to.

The cute thing is, my father's favourite band is Pink Floyd...and he has managed to turn me into a Floyd fan! So I gave him U2, and he gave me Pink Floyd.

I played a part in converting one of my best friends.. it was a truly horrible time for her, a family member had just died and I thought U2 would help her mourn. I made her listen to Kite and some other songs.. also she told me one of her favourite memories of her dad was him playing I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For over and over again in the car when they were on holiday.. then this tour I took her to the Twickenham show and they played it, it was incredible. I don't think she'll ever stop listening to U2 now.

On a happier note, I converted another friend who now says Achtung Baby is in his top 10 albums of all time :up:

Well I converted my dad to an average fan. He can't remember the song titles but he knows most of the songs. And he gets to hear all the live and rare stuff from me. As for cousins, I got five of them hooked on U2 which is pretty sweet. Also a few friends like U2 because I do and tell them how good it is. My friends tell me I should write a book on U2.:wink:

I need advice for converting my brother.
I have 2 brothers and I am the youngest. One of them, the younger out of the 2, likes U2, but is not a big fan.
My oldest brother, however, loves Coldplay as much as i love U2. He believes Coldplay is the younger, better :madspit: U2. So he hates them. :no: :help:
Give me some advice, because i don't think the osmosis will work.

Back
Top Bottom