Contradictions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gman

New Yorker
Are there any u2 songs that you really dont like on cd yet love live? And (in the intrest of science) any where the opposite is true?

Last edited:
OK, not keen on in studio but like live:
- 11 O'clock Tick Tock (well, sometimes I like the studio version, sometimes I don't; I adore the live version)
- Hawkmoon 269 (more that the studio version simply fails to capture my attention while the live version rules)
- Dirty Day
- Discotheque
- Please (I liked the studio version until I heard it live; now I can barely listen to the studio version)
- New York

I expect a lot of people will answer with Exit. Personally, I like the studio version too and I don't have a problem with how quiet it starts - I feel it builds well until it hits the middle, when I feel it simply doesn't explode enough, certainly not as effectively as it did live.

Now, songs I like on CD but don't like live:
- PRIDE!!! (Apart from a few rare performances, this has been a song that wasn't as good live as in the studio, and except for the UF and Vertigo Tours and some shows in the late eighties, it has downright stank)
- Zooropa (failed live)
- Numb (the live versions simply don't feel live)
- Wake Up Dead Man (well, I wouldn't say I dislike it live, but it's certainly mediocre in comparison to the awesome studio version)

That's all I can think of for now.

Better live:

Agreed with most of the above, I'd add Sunday Bloody Sunday (live 80's versions) and Bullet the Blue Sky.

I can't think of any song that I prefer the studio version. I do really like the way Bono gets his voice up for the Pride chorus on UF, and he doesn't go there in the liver versions...but I still liked it live up to Lovetown.

Don't like studio versions, much better live:
-A Sort of Homecoming
-Until the End of the World
-Electric co.(Vertigo)

Better on album:
-Stay
-One

Originally posted by Axver

I expect a lot of people will answer with Exit. Personally, I like the studio version too and I don't have a problem with how quiet it starts - I feel it builds well until it hits the middle, when I feel it simply doesn't explode enough, certainly not as effectively as it did live.

word brah

also agree on Wake Up Dead Man live... it'd be hard to do it right live anyway with all the stuff going on in the studio version, but they could at least do the whole song.

Whenever I listen to Party Girl or 11 O Clock Tick Tock, it's live. Same with Bad, pretty much.

also New York doesn't explode at the end on the album version...the live version is so :drool:

Trying to Throw Your Arms Around the World was always my least favorite song from AB, but on the Live from Dublin August '93 bootleg it is just :drool: :drool:

Back
Top Bottom