Continue General Admission?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hallelujah Here She Comes

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Before I say what I have to say, I just want to let it be known that the two concerts I went to with GA tickets were two of the best experiences of my life and I'm infinitely grateful to U2 for offering GA. But after waiting in line for 18 hours in cold wind and rain to get into the heart for the 10-16 Chicago show, I can't help but wonder whether they should continue to offer it in subsequent tours. I mean, I don't regret waiting that long since I got to be parked directly in front of Adam for the show, but 18 hours? Isn't this a bit ridiculous? It frightens me that I was even willing to do this. Fans started showing up at 6pm the night before the show. How early will people start getting there if they offer GA on the next tour? Two days? Why not just camp out there for a week? It seems like this is getting out of hand

Also, I heard some things about shady ways people get into the heart that made me sad that U2 fans would be so devious and dishonest. For example, I heard that some fans who go to nearly every show (with GA) will simply bring their collection of wristbands to a show and pick whichever ones matche the ones being used that night. All they need to do is have some cheap ass seat so they can get into the building, and they can get onto the floor without a GA ticket. That's just not fair.

I suppose U2 could simply find a way to solve these problems without getting rid of GA entirely. It's possible they don't even want to continue GA anyway, so this may be a moot point, but I just wanted to see what you guys thought of this. I really don't know...

------------------
"I buy socks."
-Adam, when asked what he does with the money he would have spent on drink.

"The babes, the feast, and the toga conspire to give Adam the bearing of a Caesar (one of the late, inbred, lunatic Caesars, perhaps, but a Caesar nonetheless.)"
-Bill Flanagan, at an after-concert soiree with the band and Co.

"We're thinking of playing a show in Chicago every Monday night. What do you think? We could get a place here. Edge could open up a corner grocery. Ok, a hardware store. Larry could open a securities business. Adam could be Larry's body guard."
-Bono, Chicago: 10-16-01

I agree with your point but if U2 didn't have GA I wouldn't bother going.

Camping out is a pain but it ensures the front row goes to the real fans - not the people who can afford to pay scalpers.

I guess it all comes down to what you want - if you get there at noon you can still get a good place on the rail outside the heart.

Can't stand cheats either!
anger.gif

[This message has been edited by Bonoforever (edited 10-17-2001).]

Originally posted by Bonoforever:
I guess it all comes down to what you want

[This message has been edited by Bonoforever (edited 10-17-2001).]

You're totally right. And I was perfectly willing to wait for an ungodly amount of time for my spot on the rail in front of the stage, but this experience definitely tested the limits of what I'm willing to do to be close to U2. 18 hours of rain, cold and strong gusts of wind with little sleep and even less food is not an experience I'd really like to repeat. But then again, if U2 does GA again, I may. So conflicted
wink.gif

------------------
"I buy socks."

"The babes, the feast, and the toga conspire to give Adam the bearing of a Caesar (one of the late, inbred, lunatic Caesars, perhaps, but a Caesar nonetheless.)"

"We're thinking of playing a show in Chicago every Monday night. What do you think? We could get a place here. Edge could open up a corner grocery. Ok, a hardware store. Larry could open a securities business. Adam could be Larry's body guard."

I agree, waiting that long is absolutely insane, and unhealthy to boot (am getting the telltale post-U2 cold)! Unfortunately, it IS the only way we can get that close.

While I wouldn't go so far as to say that if they didn't have GA I wouldn't bother going (the agony of not being there would do me in!), I'm now totally spoiled rotten (I first got addicted to GA when I saw Zooropa at Wembley - but this is even closer!)and it just won't be the same being back in seats. (Although I sure miss the days when I could go out for dinner with friends and mozy in 2 minutes before it started....)

Originally posted by Mrs. Edge:
While I wouldn't go so far as to say that if they didn't have GA I wouldn't bother going (the agony of not being there would do me in!), I'm now totally spoiled rotten (I first got addicted to GA when I saw Zooropa at Wembley - but this is even closer!)and it just won't be the same being back in seats.

Yes, definitely. The level of my U2 obsession is such that I doubt I would be able to resist GAs in the future.
biggrin.gif

------------------
"I buy socks."

It is getting out of hand with the early lines, but maybe if it gets completely nuts this time, next time people will back off a bit or the venues will enforce their no camping policies. I really like GA. I went to another concert right after I'd been to see U2 and I had an 8th row seat. I was close to the band but I couldn't move around. I hated it! GA is definately the way to go.

Call me crazy, but one of the reasons I like GA so much is so I can wait in line! You really get to know everyone in line around you; I've met so many awesome people that way! It's just not the same experience when you waltz right in to your seat, watch the show, and go home. In line, the excitement builds up through the day, more and more until it almost seems tangible - it makes the whole day epic, not just the show. As for the length of time we're having to wait now - the day before - I figure, how often do I do something really crazy? Most of my year is spent with classes and work, so it's nice to do something completely off-the-wall once in awhile!

And besides, I've always loved camping!
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by stefananny (edited 10-17-2001).]

That's true too. It's part of the whole U2 culture, this line bonding and you really get a chance to get to know people better. Although in Montreal and Hamilton, I wore my tags, but for the most part only met people I was previously planning on meeting!

But be all that as it may, this is DEFINITELY something I would ONLY do for U2!

Originally posted by stefananny:
Call me crazy, but one of the reasons I like GA so much is so I can wait in line! You really get to know everyone in line around you; I've met so many awesome people that way! It's just not the same experience when you waltz right in to your seat, watch the show, and go home. In line, the excitement builds up through the day, more and more until it almost seems tangible - it makes the whole day epic, not just the show. As for the length of time we're having to wait now - the day before - I figure, how often do I do something really crazy? Most of my year is spent with classes and work, so it's nice to do something completely off-the-wall once in awhile!

And besides, I've always loved camping!
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by stefananny (edited 10-17-2001).]

Originally posted by mbi16:
I completely agree with you guys, but do you need 18 hours to bond? I simply suggest they put a time limit as to how early you can start lining up, that's all.

Ahh.... but then people will start lining up to join the line!
biggrin.gif

Over here in London all gigs are 'GA' or standing, and it never really gets out of hand as theres a limit to how long people will line up for.

I fully understand your point. I turned up at Slane witha friend (who didn't even like U2) the evening before with nothing but a bottle of Vodka to keep me warm. A bloke let us use his tent (Thank you Brian!) but in total we waited 30 hours with not even one nights sleep. And it was bloody cold!!

But the point is I made friends at the London shows who I'm still in touch with in GA - and in the case of Slane it was worth it to get to the front.

And finally like Mrs Edge - U2 are the only band I'd go through this for! (maybe Bruce if he ever comes back
biggrin.gif
)

Stefanany is right. I was in line across from her at hamilton show. Half of the fun there was being in line, talking to people around you, sing-alongs (quiet, but ever-so present), and just the build up anticipation it causes that makes the show that much better. Waiting in line seems to make it feel like you have earned your way to the spot you have, instead of just buying your way into it. I stood in line for 14 hours and i dont regret one minute of it.

Besides, if they got rid of GA and put in seats it would be a waste...

Who sits during a U2 show anyway??

Originally posted by Yecko:
Stefanany is right. I was in line across from her at hamilton show. Half of the fun there was being in line, talking to people around you, sing-alongs (quiet, but ever-so present), and just the build up anticipation it causes that makes the show that much better. Waiting in line seems to make it feel like you have earned your way to the spot you have, instead of just buying your way into it. I stood in line for 14 hours and i dont regret one minute of it.

Besides, if they got rid of GA and put in seats it would be a waste...

Who sits during a U2 show anyway??

LMAO (I so wanted to say 'reverend yecko come to testify!' but thatd just sound feckin stupid, so anyways...)

YOU ARE SO DAMN RIGHT!

oh man...

I would go an indefinite amount of time, forget 14, Id sit there, get cramps, sore legs, no sleep, I would go through all of it, its the whole experiance. Like yecko said, we were right across from stefananny most of the day and it was great. Meeting people, talking to U2 fans without having people go 'U2? they suck!' (which I get at school more often than Id like). On top of that, someone else said its the whole validation thing, earning your ticket. It isnt fair for someone to just show up to the concert, shell out 400 for a ticket front row center, just because theyre richass lil bastards and not even hardcore U2 fans. If someone isnt willing to stand outside for insane amounts of time, then regardless of how big a U2 fan they are, its the people that are willing to do so that should get the better position. I dont know... But I love GAs and I will strike up a petition if anyone tries to take them away from me.

So funny that before the tour started there was a petetion against GA...

Where are those people now?

GA is the best single thing U2 has done for their live performances in years (for us U.S. types that didn't have the privilege before). From what I can tell, security has been quite good, and it's really fun to see the show with other diehard fans. The intensity down there is incredible, and I think it really helps the band stay energized when they see all those people jumping up and down. But you have to pay a price - it IS painful waiting all day - but if you can survive it it only makes the glory at the end of the day greater. (Each time I do it I swear never again at 8:45 PM, but by 11 PM I swear I'll never go any other way).

Amen to that petition thing Foxfire...

damn right.

PREACH ON BROTHER!!
lol

------------------
"Thou shalt think of U2 in thy daily prayers. Such is the first tenet of Bonotheism."

Originally posted by sv:
(Each time I do it I swear never again at 8:45 PM, but by 11 PM I swear I'll never go any other way).

Ain't that the truth!
biggrin.gif

Besides, GA can be fun even if you aren't in the heart so you don't have to get there that early. I find it wonderful just being able to move around and not be planted in front of a useless chair no matter where you are on the floor.

Originally posted by SkeeK:
So funny that before the tour started there was a petetion against GA...

Where are those people now?

Yep, I was one of "those" people Skeek...*tail firmly placed between legs*...

But yes, indeed I have been converted - Hallelujah!!!

I had an awful, awful experience being front row at Wembly Stadium during Popmart in '97 (had to be pulled out by security just before being trampled on)...
However, I think all of the petitioning by those AGAINST G.A. was done before we knew about the set up - I was unaware that there would be a heart set up in order to alleviate the pressure.

U2 have been extremely successful with G.A. over here in North America so it won't surprise me if other bands follow suit..

I completely agree with you guys, but do you need 18 hours to bond? I simply suggest they put a time limit as to how early you can start lining up, that's all.

That would result in chaos.

Imagine they tell us we can start lining up at noon. You would literally have 300 people running to the doors, trampling and killing each other. There would be NO WAY of having this organized in an orderly way. What people would do is line up across the street and then make a mad dash for it, and somebody would get hurt very fast.

G.A should definatly stay !

I waited nearly 24 hours but it was definatly worth it. Like stefananny, I spend most of my time at school and at work, so U2 camping is such a change from my usual boring schedule. Though it can be very stressful and tiring, it's also very rewarding.

Long live G.A !

I completely agree with you guys, but do you need 18 hours to bond? I simply suggest they put a time limit as to how early you can start lining up, that's all. GA is obviously the best part of the concert this time around, and while it shouldn't go away some restrictions should definately be put in place to pretty much protect fans from themselves.

I don't know, I plan on going to the Vegas show, and I thought if any day was gonna be the day I was gonna have the energy to lineup would be then. But this is my first time in Vegas and I wanna enjoy the city too, besides why would I pay for a hotel if I'm gonna be in the pavement starting 1 AM?

I just think this is outta of control and the funniest thing is that while we discuss this we also don't realize this is our doing.

------------------
Tha Prickly Comedian

I think we should give people a standardized test in line. The way it works now the most jobelss and useless person gets number one..they have nothing better to do ...so they wait in line...this way..we reward intellectual prowess...we rank ppl by score.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm in the same boat. I want to be in the Luxor, not the lineup!!!

I don't know, I plan on going to the Vegas show, and I thought if any day was gonna be the day I was gonna have the energy to lineup would be then. But this is my first time in Vegas and I wanna enjoy the city too, besides why would I pay for a hotel if I'm gonna be in the pavement starting 1 AM?

I just think this is outta of control and the funniest thing is that while we discuss this we also don't realize this is our doing.

I have to say that GA is great. But it definitely sucked freezing my ass off in Chicago! We only waited for 8 hours, but were definitely underdressed! I spent the whole time shivering under a blanket, and a few times we had to seek shelter at Malcolm X College across the street. By the time the concert time arrived, I was so tired from being so cold.

I guess the moral of this story is: COME PREPARED.

------------------
boom cha, boom cha.................discotheque!

couldn't they just divide the floor up into sections? say in the heart for $60, at the outside tip for $50, at the back of the floor for $40(or something like that). that way their will already be tickets into the heart and lining up early will be, for the most part, defeated.

------------------
i'm a reasonable man
get off my case

Originally posted by Nancy:
I have to say that GA is great. But it definitely sucked freezing my ass off in Chicago! We only waited for 8 hours, but were definitely underdressed! I spent the whole time shivering under a blanket, and a few times we had to seek shelter at Malcolm X College across the street. By the time the concert time arrived, I was so tired from being so cold.

I guess the moral of this story is: COME PREPARED.

So very true. My friend and I didn't even have a blanket to sit on, much less a tent or even a scrap of food to eat. Luckily, some kindly soul let us sleep in her car, which made the night bearable, and someone else gave us a bag of donuts and warm coffee that she didn't want. God, I love U2 fans
smile.gif

------------------
"I buy socks."

I think a Gen. Admission Floor is the best thing U2 can do for their fans. This way the best tix are only $45 and those that want to be front row or get very close have the option to do so without paying more money. Even if you don't have time to wait in line or dont want to, you can still be on the floor and still be a mere 10-15 ft from the heart ramps, which is still great.

I think U2 should DEFINITELY keep GA.

Back
Top Bottom