Constant Bashing of Americans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_acrobat

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I just want to say I'm sick of all these assholes on here bashing Americans. Apparently, we have no taste, and we all need easily accessible pop music to appeal to our lame musical tastes. I just want to say that I'm an American who appreciates everything U2 has ever done. The songs on Pop ring just as true to me as The Joshua Tree, Achtung, Boy, War, ATCLB and now HTDAAB. So you people out there bashing us americans can kiss my fucking ass. This forum is nothing but a hostile battleground anymore. Expressing opinions in a friendly matter is fine. But to attack each other like this is pathetic. It's only the fucking internet. It's only a fucking rock band we're talking about. Nothing worth fighting about. It's not my fault that the corporations are controlling the music industry. It's not my fault that rock music isn't as popular as it used to be. If it were up to me, rock music would rule all.

yeah. i'm not really enjoying it either.

as an American, i realize that there are a lot of reasons to dislike my country. i'll be the first to admit the things that our wrong with America.

but i like U2 just like everyone else. being American doesn't make me less of a fan.

beli said:

Are you trying to piss the whiney foreigners off by implying your country owns two continents? :mad:
:wink:

:lol: Saves us taking responsibility for it :)

david said:
At least us Americans didn't do something silly like vote Robbie Williams into the Uk Music Hall of Fame.

Sorry, I'll jump in here before someone beats me to it.

But we did elect GW for another 4 years.:huh:

edited to say: shit someone beat me to it.

The way i look at it, whether your from America, Japan, or 5th and Jippip. We ALL have one thing in common. THE MUSIC. Lets not forget that.

UKTan said:

:lol: Saves us taking responsibility for it :)

:lmao:

PS where is the thread in question?

Search Query Results
americans 5985
super bowl video 77
fart 402
itunes 1507
lyrics 11385
collection 4282
u2 you own 105585
u2 collections 146
biggest holes 19
biggest holes 19
holes 693

Haha yes we did elect Bushy for another 4 more years and we're also now trying to figure out how to get him into the UK Music Hall of Fame too.

Because it's quite clear that we lost our minds!

david said:
Haha yes we did elect Bushy for another 4 more years and we're also now trying to figure out how to get him into the UK Music Hall of Fame too.

Amen.

The_acrobat said:
So you people out there bashing us americans can kiss my fucking ass. Expressing opinions in a friendly matter is fine. But to attack each other like this is pathetic.

Pardon... to attack each other is what?

david said:
At least us Americans didn't do something silly like vote Robbie Williams into the Uk Music Hall of Fame.

Yeah, you ppl elected George "Monkey" Bush as the president of your country...

david said:

How can you loose something you never had?

Oh I get it now. The reason I couldn't find the "bashing Americans" thread was because it was yet to come into existence.

It is now here.......

Time and space continuum wormholes indeed :huh:

I posted this recently in another thread, but it fits perfectly here:

"I wish it wasn't so fashionable to trash on us Americans. It's really disgusting how many people who don't live in America think of all of us as this one, big generic blob. We're the most racially, ethnically, and religiously diverse country in the entire world. It offends me when you call us all idiots. Just because Pop didn't sell as well here doesn't mean people here are stupid and didn't 'get it.'

If you like Joshua Tree more than Achtung Baby, and I happen to think Achtung is better, should I start calling you an idiot because you simply didn't 'get' Achtung Baby? Of course not - you just have different tastes than me. So Pop didn't sell as well over here. Different kinds of music do different kinds of business in each country. Just because Armenian dance music is smashing up the Armenian Top 10 doesn't mean the British are stupid for not buying it en masse.

No matter the country, no matter the continent, each individual is unique, with tastes, likes, dislikes, and preferences all their own. Only until I have met all 6 billion people living on earth will I pass sweeping judgments on each nation. Not before."

-Miggy D

This was posted before, but is also relevant to this thread:

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

It has a lot to do with our generic blob President and his generic blob policies. Unfortunately, if we want to tell the rest of the world to fuck off and go it alone, expect the rest of the world to respond accordingly.

Presidents and politicians aside, every nation has a habit of stereotyping. Most Americans probably don't have one good opinion about Middle Eastern nations. We also have a long history of stereotyping Canada and France derisively.

In other words, while it is not okay for the rest of the world to stereotype the U.S., we are also not immune from doing the stereotyping.
Melon

This is just what I'm talking about.

a.) Your political opinion is your own. Bush got more electoral votes and the popular vote, so not all Americans think he's a 'generic blob.'

b.) Not all of us voted for Bush. Nearly half voted against him. I, personally, have never told the world to fuck off. So the world should not tell me I suck. It's something quite different to say 'Bush sucks' and 'Americans suck.' Bush is one American in a country of over 280 million Americans. It's the difference between saying 'I hate Kobe Bryant' and 'I hate black people.' One member of a group does not represent the whole. This should be considered before anyone makes a blanket statement.

c.) "Most Americans probably don't have one good opinion about Middle Eastern nations. We also have a long history of stereotyping Canada and France derisively."

Again with this 'we' thing. Speak for yourself, not for me. You may have a bad opinion of Middle Eastern nations, or you may not. You may have a long history of stereotyping Canada and France, or you may not. But do not use 'we' unless you actually know what 'we' stand for.

d.) "In other words, while it is not okay for the rest of the world to stereotype the U.S., we are also not immune from doing the stereotyping."

I agree completely. But I haven't seen a lot of 'Germany sucks' or 'France sucks' posts lately. I am addressing a problem that seems to exist on this forum, in which Americans are considered stupid and ignorant on the whole, not just for electing a President not very well-liked by a majority of the outside world, but for not liking Pop, of all things. I believe America is a great country, for its own reasons, just as I'm sure many Germans have pride in their country, etc. I am not going to start tearing down other countries and their citizenry just because I may have a problem with a political policy their government might be supporting, or because some of them don't care for a particular kind of music. Stereotypes are bad. All the time. Ignorance just breeds hate, and hate is never a good thing in this world.

-Miggy

We haven't seen many Germany Sucks or France Sucks threads because no-one in the US cares about Germany and France or knows that much about either country. And that in a small part explains why the US is now picked on more than ever... because it has forced itself on to the world in terms of globalisation. So it's left itself open for ridicule and insults. That is a fact of life... the bigger they are, the harder the fall.

Back
Top Bottom