Constant Bashing of Americans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We really did get stomped too! You're not kidding. I was shocked!!! Holy Shocked!!!

As far as Americans getting more U2...I didn't go to the Elevation tour, because no one is worth $130 per ticket, not even U2, especially after seeing the horrible PopMart Tour!

Also, I live in New York, and I didn't see U2 perform on the truck or under the bridge. I was too busy WORKING!!!! Dammit!!!!

Knulp said:
We really did get stomped too! You're not kidding. I was shocked!!! Holy Shocked!!!

As far as Americans getting more U2...I didn't go to the Elevation tour, because no one is worth $130 per ticket, not even U2, especially after seeing the horrible PopMart Tour!

Also, I live in New York, and I didn't see U2 perform on the truck or under the bridge. I was too busy WORKING!!!! Dammit!!!!

I would gladly pay 130 bucks to see U2, and I'm sure I probably will during this tour. And how dare you call the POPMART tour horrible. how dare you.

And no, I don't need to believe in the Easter Bunny. I believe because it is REAL!!!!

U2_Guy said:
Let's face it: most americans (literally) are just dumb. Let's treat them like little kids and everything is ok.

It's a bit lousy when people think all Americans are stupid. your statement says much more about you than it does about Americans.

I'm not very fond of this thread. :down:

I saw PopMart twice, and it wasn't a great show. It was U2, and that was great, but I just didn't think it was the best.
People are funny on these fan sites. I posted once on a Ryan Adams site about meeting him. He was a dick. The amount of people who've never met him that came to his defense was incredible!!!

Originally posted by U2_Guy
Let's face it: most americans (literally) are just dumb. Let's treat them like little kids and everything is ok.

Hmmm...literally dumb...dumb meaning unable to speak and hear...nope, that's not most Americans. Pretty smart thing to say though foreigner!

U2_Guy said:
Spoken like a true elitist snob.

Knulp said:

Not all seats were $130 on the last tour. You could have gone to three shows for $130 if you got $45 tickets. I'm not sure what the problem with Popmart was and still is. Sure the concept was a little over the top, but those Pop songs actually allowed u2 to leave their comfort zone and play a little more live. songs like gone, lnoe and please showed the band improvising on stage. maybe it bothered people because popmart was obviously about the new tunes and the new theme, while elevation turned into a greatest hits esque show on the 3rd leg.

By the way, it's not Americans that are better than others. It's our land, what it gives us and how lucky we are to have it all. That's what makes us better than you. Geesh!:wink:

look, if I'm only going to be able to see U2 live maybe twice every 4 years or so, I think it's totally worth paying 130 dollars for a ticket.

Vervefloyd said:

Not all seats were $130 on the last tour. You could have gone to three shows for $130 if you got $45 tickets. I'm not sure what the problem with Popmart was and still is. Sure the concept was a little over the top, but those Pop songs actually allowed u2 to leave their comfort zone and play a little more live. songs like gone, lnoe and please showed the band improvising on stage. maybe it bothered people because popmart was obviously about the new tunes and the new theme, while elevation turned into a greatest hits esque show on the 3rd leg.

I've seen U2 from the nosebleed section. I can do without it.

children, please, let's stop this eh?

everyone here has two things in common:

1. They're not getting enough
2. They have too much time on their hands

Never have I read such a pointless thread. And what has it to do with U2 anyway?

Globalization is good for America and the world, if you believe Capitalism is good for America and the world.

I'm not a huge fan of pushing America on the world.

Last edited:
I'm not for pushing America on the world. But I also hate to see globalization and free trade and outsourcing destroying the American middle class. I see this first hand, I didn't read it online. And I do think the image of PopMart turned a lot of people off, they looked like clowns in those outfits and the stage set was garish. It wasn't the type of thing that appealed to the average U2 fan. While ZOOTV was cool, PopMart was more silly. There is fine line between funny and stupid, and they crossed it on the wrong side. If the band wanted people to 'stop taking them seriously' and 'laugh' at them, they certainly did, but not in a positive way. For years, U2 became a joke to a lot of people. They did get their rep back, thankfully. I think now people can look back and listen to the songs without all the baggage and judge them more objectively. Still, Pop is the only U2 album that has never 'grown' on me. But to each his/her own! Gone rocks!

If anyone wants to bash my post please don't blame all Americans! :reject:

Last edited:
Knulp said:
Globalization is good for America and the world

If you were a freelance web designer trying to compete for American web design jobs against people in India who can afford to do the jobs for $3.50 an hour, you might feel a little different.

I am such a person, and believe me, it is that bad.

well, i guess people complaining about america are just insecure about there own country( no generalising meant) i'm Irish we only bring joy, good music, alcohol and well our past is fucked up.........

gabrielvox said:
Boo hoo cry me a fucking river

LOL

EDITED TO ADD: now that certain posters have shown up here, my vote is to move this to its appropriate Forum

(the one I dont/cant go to anymore)

LMAO

Oh great, I'm back for one week and you already jump all over me. Here I was minding my own business hoping I'd never have to converse with you again and you post a ridiculous statement like this.

Your cavalier attitude about this subject is telling. You obviously don't care that hard working Americans find it hard to get contracts because many American companies give contracts to foreign freelancers.

It's obvious to me that you're still the spiteful and angry person you were when I left.

By the way, I haven't posted in Free Your Mind since I've been back, which means I haven't posted in Free Your Mind for at least a year and a half. What happened? Did you get banned after I left? Doesn't surprise me one little bit.

80sU2isBest said:
If you were a freelance web designer trying to compete for American web design jobs against people in India who can afford to do the jobs for $3.50 an hour, you might feel a little different.

I am such a person, and believe me, it is that bad.

I think here's something we're in agreement with, and this is where the leftist idea of "fair trade" over "free trade" should be considered.

In my opinion, globalization will be more of an "equalizer." Certainly, it might raise the wages of nations like India and China, but there is also the downside that business is always looking for "cheaper" nations. It has already been projected that once India's economy is improved and wages start increasing, the tech industry will abandon them too and migrate to Malaysia.

Regardless, if globalization is to stay, then America must be prepared to take on a lower standard of living, but such deflation would destroy our economy. I had stated years ago that I believe the U.S. is heading towards the fate of Japan, where they have had nearly 15 years of rampant deflation. If the working class continues to shed good paying jobs in favor of lower paying jobs, then this is an inevitability. Already, places like California and Massachusetts have grossly overvalued real estate, and I find it unimaginable that people will be able to afford these places without a dramatic decrease in property values.

Melon

The Disciple said:
That's the funniest thing I've heard in a long time. Even the staunchest Democrats admit they got stomped this time around, and the outcome is not in question, unlike in 2000.....it's time 2 move on.

They didn't get "stomped" and Bush did not get his "mandate." By all accounts, a real "mandate" would be like Reagan in 1984 and Nixon in 1972. 51% of the vote is *not* a "mandate" and is *not* being "stomped. FYI, while Bush won the Presidency, Democrats made net gains in many state legislatures.

Melon

melon said:

I think here's something we're in agreement with, and this is where the leftist idea of "fair trade" over "free trade" should be considered.

In my opinion, globalization will be more of an "equalizer." Certainly, it might raise the wages of nations like India and China, but there is also the downside that business is always looking for "cheaper" nations. It has already been projected that once India's economy is improved and wages start increasing, the tech industry will abandon them too and migrate to Malaysia.

Melon

I agree Melon.

I think that American companies should be given tax incentives to give their contracts to Americans.

80s:

Now that I am DIRECTLY speaking to you, as opposed to my last post with was directed in a general sense at the overall whinyness of this thread, you should be aware that I was totally making a JOKE about MYSELF, in that if posters such as myself who don't/can't even post in other sections are showing up here and posting (in a U2 section, more on that in a second), then perhaps it should be moved to the forum more appropriate, where people like me dont/cant go.

FYI, in terms of that other forum, I ASKED to be removed because I have little use for much of the garbage that passes for 'freedom of speech' over there. I have ZERO interest in ever returning there, and believe that much of what goes on over there doesn't even belong on Interference. To each his own. I've had absolutely no problems over here or in the other U2-related forums, and for you to accuse me of the things you do in your post clearly shows that you know very little, if anything, about me.

It does reveal quite a bit about the resentment, anger and spite you apparently still feel towards me, over what I'm not even sure I recall. In fact, I must say I think I had forgotten all about you.

It is interesting though that when I saw Melon over here I said a very sincere hello and extended a welcome to him should he move to Canada. We disagreed a few times in FYM but I can honestly say that I bear no ill feelings.

Seriously, that kind of stuff isn't good for the soul dude.

But now, in a general sense, I will maintain that this section is:

Everything You Know Is Wrong
This area is to be used primarily for thoughts and reactions about U2

Given that there is an entire section dedicated to thoughts and reactions about things NOT related to U2, like for instance, American bashing, my point is that maybe it could be moved there.

Now, for something completely U2-related, I couldn't help but chuckle at The Edge's quote in the new book included with the Deluxe box set:

"All warfare is based on deception"

Interesting! :)

Cheers

:wave:

gabrielvox said:
Make sure you look me up when you get here Melon...I think I owe you a handshake and warm welcome to the best country in the world!

Nothing is for certain yet! I still have yet to amass the money for the permanent residency application. Patience is a virtue, I guess.

In the meantime, I'm keeping my options open. I might end up getting a job here in Michigan. I might head out to NYC. If all else fails, maybe even Japan (those TESL programs), although I think of this as a last resort.

But if I end up in Toronto, I'll have to throw a pretty large party...lol.

Melon

melon said:

Nothing is for certain yet! I still have yet to amass the money for the permanent residency application. Patience is a virtue, I guess.

In the meantime, I'm keeping my options open. I might end up getting a job here in Michigan. I might head out to NYC. If all else fails, maybe even Japan (those TESL programs), although I think of this as a last resort.

But if I end up in Toronto, I'll have to throw a pretty large party...lol.

Melon

Well at least come and visit...and make sure you do make some arrangements to meet up with me and the rest of the GTA gang. Toronto's a very beautiful place to be...very accepting and little intolerance! :)

gabrielvox said:
It is interesting though that when I saw Melon over here I said a very sincere hello and extended a welcome to him should he move to Canada. We disagreed a few times in FYM but I can honestly say that I bear no ill feelings.

It's water under the bridge. I will say that FYM brings out the worst in people, and even I haven't posted there since July (although I did get a forced sabbatical from that place :sexywink: ). At this rate, I don't even know if I even want to ask to be reinstated there. My mood has been so much better since I left, and it isn't as if I can change a blasted thing from there anyway. I made my fairly domineering rhetorical contributions there over 3.5 years and now let's see if others can do it themselves.

Melon

Back
Top Bottom