Constant Bashing of Americans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Palace_Hero said:

You think so? I think it is bloddy freezing compared to Monday. That was a stinker.

But you're probably north of me I'm guessing. I'm way down in Rockingham. So it might be a touch warmer for you.. :madspit:

Hillarys. :up: But yeah Monday was bad. I nearly didnt pick up the new U2 album cause it was too hot to walk to the shops. I went anyway. The things we do in the name of fandom. :wink:

boosterjuice said:
Why would people bash Americans for being patriotic? How silly is that? I wish we had more patriotism in my country (Canada).

I've spent enough time in Canada that I think the nation's biggest problem is that it really lacks confidence in itself. Of course, viewing that in the context of its history of being wedged in between British and American politics for so long is probably why.

Canada, though, is still carving out its identity. I'm sure it will come out in due time.

Melon

boosterjuice said:

Ask yourself this:

Why would people bash Americans for being patriotic? How silly is that? I wish we had more patriotism in my country (Canada).

Bit of patriotism = good.
Blind patriotism = bad

Some people in the USA give the impression of being patriotic beyond reason. Thats the impression from here. Its a shame people cant cheaply and easily pop out of their own country and see how their country is perceived outside their own country (including me)

(Not that Im implying Reggie is that way. I dont know him/her. )

Melon,
Hey don't get me wrong, I'm not saying somewhere else is great....I just lost a lot of faith in the people who live in this country a few weeks ago, thats all.

It's as simple as this: Abu Gahraib. How can anyone support a president who this happened under and he did not punish Rumpsfeld? And then Rumpsfeld re-defines torture to not be torture if the vitim has information that you want..Really, he said that!

melon said:

I've spent enough time in Canada that I think the nation's biggest problem is that it really lacks confidence in itself. Of course, viewing that in the context of its history of being wedged in between British and American politics for so long is probably why.

Canada, though, is still carving out its identity. I'm sure it will come out in due time.

Melon

Indeed. We are a young country filled with people that have nothing in common. Our identity is "that we have none".
I look jealously at American holidays. Everyone there puts so much care into Thanksgiving and Independence Day. It is as chance to unite the communities, to put aside political differences, and to revel in everything that makes you different from the rest of the world. Canada doesn't have this because Canada is the world. We are the world on a micro-level.

Boosterjuice,
If you re-read my post I think I levelled some harsher criticism than their taste in music...

Also, I'm American and you're not, so it is a little ify you're criticising me for how I choose to criticise the people screwing up my own country....

Anyway, I don't want to offend any U2 fans. We have so much to be happy about right now! I'll assume you're all foreigners or part of the blessed 49%!!! :)

melon,

where in Canada are you looking to settle down?

And welcome! :)

Niceman said:
Melon,
Hey don't get me wrong, I'm not saying somewhere else is great....I just lost a lot of faith in the people who live in this country a few weeks ago, thats all.

It's as simple as this: Abu Gahraib. How can anyone support a president who this happened under and he did not punish Rumpsfeld? And then Rumpsfeld re-defines torture to not be torture if the vitim has information that you want..Really, he said that!

We probably have a lot more in common than we'd like to think politically. My faith is running on "empty" as well these days.

But let's face it: the Democratic Party and the left, in general, is in shambles. I guess my point about vacillating between defending America and criticizing it at the same time in this thread is about reorganizing the Left and creating better, more constructive arguments. Our existing ones come off as "cliché" these days, and running around like a bunch of Ché Guevara loving, WTO rioting hippies is certainly not helping our cause.

I've been interested these days in creating an organization to do just that: reorganize and reconstruct a new and better platform, along with more solid and new arguments. Of course, I've never done such a thing. All I've done is ramble about politics for the past four years here at Interference.com and elsewhere on the internet. Now I just need to figure out how to organize something effective in the real world, if possible. I was always more of an activist at heart...

Melon

beli said:
Bush and Rumpsfeld being dickheads isnt a reason to slander the entire nation though.

Unfortunately, the fact that they are still in power might be....

But I tried my damnest to stop them, so aim at the next guy, OK? Thanks!

melon said:

I've been interested these days in creating an organization to do just that: reorganize and reconstruct a new and better platform, along with more solid and new arguments. Of course, I've never done such a thing. All I've done is ramble about politics for the past four years here at Interference.com and elsewhere on the internet. Now I just need to figure out how to organize something effective in the real world, if possible. I was always more of an activist at heart...

Melon

I wish you well in this endeavour. Seriously I do. I respect, admire and honour people who actually get up off their backsides and do the things they believe in :up:

anitram said:
melon,

where in Canada are you looking to settle down?

And welcome! :)

Toronto, eventually. I fell in love with a Canadian well over a year ago, and even if he wanted to emigrate to the U.S., it is impossible under current American immigration policy. Oh what people do for love...:sexywink:

But Canada is certainly nothing to sneeze at. Toronto is such a vibrant city, and it is only five hours away from where I'm living right now anyway. So, it is kind of the best of both worlds: living in a great city, while not being too far away from the family. But I've also been interested in Vancouver someday, and BC has enough beautiful landscapes all its own!

Melon

indra said:

Unfortunately, the fact that they are still in power might be....

But doesnt the USA have some pathetically low voter turnout?

Its illegal to not vote here. People who dont vote are fined and/or imprisioned. Voting is a RIGHT and you will have your right whether you want it or not. lol

Niceman,

I did read your post. And I'm not criticising you. All that I'm asking is for you to fulfill your namesake and be "nice" rather than saying Americans suck.

beli said:

But doesnt the USA have some pathetically low voter turnout?

Its illegal to not vote here. People who dont vote are fined and/or imprisioned. Voting is a RIGHT and you will have your right whether you want it or not. lol

It was the highest turnout in decades this year, so sadly, I guess we got what the majority wanted. I'm just not in the majority.

indra said:

It was the highest turnout in decades this year, so sadly, I guess we got what the majority wanted. I'm just not in the majority.

But its still really low isnt it? Its not 100% like here. I thought even with the recent boost the voter turnout is still lower than some despot nations?

PS Please dont let this thread be moved to FYM. Some of my comments have been flippant and I will be crucified. :scaryfymers:

boosterjuice said:
Niceman,

I did read your post. And I'm not criticising you. All that I'm asking is for you to fulfill your namesake and be "nice" rather than saying Americans suck.

Would it do if he said that 51% of Americans suck (well, depending on what they suck, the percentage could be higher :wink: )

beli said:

But its still really low isnt it? Its not 100% like here. I thought even with the recent boost the voter turnout is still lower than some despot nations?

PS Please dont let this thread be moved to FYM. Some of my comments have been flippant and I will be crucified. :scaryfymers:

True, it isn't as high as many nations, but we don't get fined if we don't vote, we just get screwed (well...we get that either way :ohmy: ).

Oh, come on now, we aren't that bad (in fym). And we don't crucify people either :mad: ...an occasional burning at the stake or drawing and quartering, but really, don't worry. :D

* edited to add: Oh beli, did you note my new sig.? They don't look quite so "deer in the headlights" as they normally do in photos!

Last edited:
Look what I found when cleaning up the garage the other day.

church.jpg

Sandii.jpg

and one for Melon thats vaguely on topic.

Shame I dont have a clean stylus

/old persons talk.

Ha! Wow do they look so young! and that's a lot of paisley.... I do believe there is such a thing as too much paisley, and they were dangerously close there. But I love that album. I think they just re-did a couple of songs off Heyday for an acoustic release. Should be interesting. They are playing Unguarded Moment live again too (they haven't played it live in years and have made no bones about disliking it), just proves... never say never.

Ive never seen them live. I adore Unguarded Moment. Its one of my most favourite songs ever.

There, I think we have toned down the tension in this thread Indra........

by killing it! :D

While were on it. I found this too:

churchvideo.jpg

I would love to have it on DVD. I dont own a video player anymore.

Yeah, voter turnout isn't as impressive if it's mandatory. The whole point of a democracy is freedom of choice. Our turnout might not be stellar, but then again I don't think I'd want everyone voting. It's like that idiotic 'Vote or Die' campaign P Diddy was doing. Stupidest shit ever. I don't want some uniformed person feeling like they need to go to the polls. If someone doesn't feel politically salient enough to vote, I say God bless 'em. Vote if you want to, I say. But if you don't vote, you can't bitch, IMO.

-Miggster

Melon,

Yeah the Democratic party is in shambles. Its worse even than it looks.

If they run Hilary in 4 years she'll lose. The party is associated with so many ideas that America opposes. The Right has just run propoganda circles around the Left.... I don't know what CAN be done...

We need some release release release...

Love and Peace!!!

beli said:
Ive never seen them live. I adore Unguarded Moment. Its one of my most favourite songs ever.

There, I think we have toned down the tension in this thread Indra........

by killing it! :D

While were on it. I found this too:

churchvideo.jpg

I would love to have it on DVD. I dont own a video player anymore.

Well, a quick way to clear a room is to bring up The Church :( Quick way to kill cd sales too (of their stuff anyway) :(

Oh! I have the US version of that too! Of course we didn't get it until they had more US sucess, so it went through the next couple of albums. Not the most sucessful video makers. I think one of them even said in a little clip on the US version "The best videos in recorded history...except the ones that aren't." And of course, you just knew that most are on the "aren't" list. :rolleyes: But they are a lot of fun!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom