Constant Bashing of Americans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Slightly off topic but.................

History tells us that every empire one day eventually implodes and is replaced......................

Egyptian
Greek
Roman
Mongol
Holy Roman
Axis germany
Imperial Japan
British Empire
USSR and eastern europe
US "new world order"

whats next

Martian?

Last edited:
Hatred of Bush or the US will get you nowhere. Hating and disagreeing are two different things. I find people who "hate" Bush and who "hate" the US very disturbing. If you want to disagree, then fine, disagree. The world would a be a better place without all of the hate.

As a Canadian, I am very supportive of the USA . If it wasn't for the US, Europe would most likely be under Nazi control. I admire the balls the US government has. They have the balls to stand up against the evils that exist in the world. They did it in WW2 against the Nazi's and they are doing it right now in Iraq & Afgahnistan. The world is a safer place because of the US.

To those of you who "hate": Stop it NOW! It's unhealthy for society.

To those of you who curse and hate Pres Bush/USA: Stop it! The reality is that although you may disagree from an ideological standpoint, Bush/USA would probably be the first nation to come to aid if your homeland was under attack.

boosterjuice said:
Hatred of Bush or the US will get you nowhere. Hating and disagreeing are two different things. I find people who "hate" Bush and who "hate" the US very disturbing. If you want to disagree, then fine, disagree. The world would a be a better place without all of the hate.

As a Canadian, I am very supportive of the USA . If it wasn't for the US, Europe would most likely be under Nazi control. I admire the balls the US government has. They have the balls to stand up against the evils that exist in the world. They did it in WW2 against the Nazi's and they are doing it right now in Iraq & Afgahnistan. The world is a safer place because of the US.

To those of you who "hate": Stop it NOW! It's unhealthy for society.

To those of you who curse and hate Pres Bush/USA: Stop it! The reality is that although you may disagree from an ideological standpoint, Bush/USA would probably be the first nation to come to aid if your homeland was under attack.

The "you'd all be under Nazi control" line is wearing a bit thin now. It could be argued America as it isn't today wouldn't exist without Europe, so you owed us a favour.

amniar said:

The "you'd all be under Nazi control" line is wearing a bit thin now. It could be argued America as it isn't today wouldn't exist without Europe, so you owed us a favour.

Europe should never let that "line" run thin! The day you dismiss the countries that assist in your time of need, is a sad day.

France helped us out during the revolutionary war, and every day I light a single French candle in rememberance of their great sacrifice. We need to remember the good things other countries have done for us, just as other countries need to remember the good things America has done for them.

boosterjuice said:

Europe should never let that "line" run thin! The day you dismiss the countries that assist in your time of need, is a sad day.

I wasn't dismissing them. I was just pointing out that to use that line in this particular argument is lazy.

Jesus Christ...close this thread or move it to FYM where I can't see it. :|

Melon

I think you might find that there was quite a few countries that assisted "Europe" in its time of need, mate :D

Not least other European countries themselves.

Before this whole thread goes FYM :scary:

Can I suggest that sterotypes, from all sides of this argument, are best avoided.

peace

Well, I live in America and I can tell you first hand that most Americans do in fact suck! It wasn't a mistake when the results said that most Americans support the president who gave us Abu Gahraib, the patriot act, our refusal to sign the kyoto treaty and a war based on mythical weapons of mass destruction. Tha majority of Americans, apparently think that all of that is jim dandy!

As far as musical tastes here; take a look at the bands on the top ten while real bands like the Libertines, Killers, and Ladytron get ignored....

No, not all Americans do suck, but there is a mindless, tasteless, bloodsport-loving majority who would laugh at the idea of ever reading a novel, studying philosophy or understanding art!

Miggy D said:
I'm not a fan of the Yankees either. But then again I don't really follow baseball.

Ah, lets have sub arguments going :hyper:

The reason I say "Yanks" (dunno about Palace) is to specifically refer to people from the USA. Cause "USAians" doesnt sound right and "Americans" is offensive to the rest of the Amerikas as that term excludes them when said by "Yanks". Yanks is not intended as an offensive term. Seppos is, but Yanks isnt. :wink:

Hope that made sense :huh:

Niceman said:
As far as musical tastes here; take a look at the bands on the top ten while real bands like the Libertines, Killers, and Ladytron get ignored....

Ladytron rules. I also get a good kick out of Peaches.

But to be fair, European popular music tastes are no better. Japan is the same way (although Ayumi Hamasaki is more entertaining than Britney Spears methinks).

No, not all Americans do suck, but there is a mindless, tasteless, bloodsport-loving majority who would laugh at the idea of ever reading a novel, studying philosophy or understanding art!

This is probably due to education levels, rather than nationality, although it is far more complex than that. I don't have the energy to go further (the days of my super long FYM-like threads are over).

Melon

Niceman said:
Well, I live in America and I can tell you first hand that most Americans do in fact suck! It wasn't a mistake when the results said that most Americans support the president who gave us Abu Gahraib, the patriot act, our refusal to sign the kyoto treaty and a war based on mythical weapons of mass destruction. Tha majority of Americans, apparently think that all of that is jim dandy!

Are Americans really that bad? Come on! I think it's very immature to bash Americans simply because they have alternative entertainment values.
Try this; Rather than say that "Americans' Suck", say "in my opinion, most Americans have limited appreciation for art & philosophy."

Now, you're not offending anyone. Also, you're not sounding childish.

What brought this thread up? :huh:

I think someone got his shorts in a bunch...but that's just my two cents! :wink: :D

beli said:
The reason I say "Yanks" (dunno about Palace) is to specifically refer to people from the USA. Cause "USAians" doesnt sound right and "Americans" is offensive to the rest of the Amerikas as that term excludes them when said by "Yanks". Yanks is not intended as an offensive term. Seppos is, but Yanks isnt. :wink:

Hope that made sense :huh:

The Red States would probably take offense to being called "Yanks," although, with me being from a Blue State, I don't care what they think anyway. :wink:

But I digress. We're Americans because our name is "The United States of America." We have no fancy easy term to use from our national name, unlike Canadians, Mexicans, Guatemalans, Panamanians, Bolivians, Brazilians, et al. Any deviation from "Americans" is PC nonsense.

But I guess it is okay to offend Americans as long as we don't offend anyone else, eh?

(I don't mean to sound hard on you...;))

Melon

Reggie Thee Dog said:
I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America
And to the republic for which it stands
One nation, under God,
Indivisible with Liberty and Justice for All.:yes:

Pretty soon, the GOP will append an exception for that last line to exclude gay people. "Defense of Marriage" my ass.

This is, ultimately, why I'm en route to Canada when my funds and paperwork go through.

Melon

Reggie Thee Dog said:
I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America
And to the republic for which it stands
One nation, under God,
Indivisible with Liberty and Justice for All.:yes:

Remove the "under God" section (which wasn't there originally), and it wouldn't be a half bad goal (although it is hardly reality).

beli said:
Reggie, you do know that kinda overly patriotic talk is the single biggest cause of "American bashing"?

Ask yourself this:

Why would people bash Americans for being patriotic? How silly is that? I wish we had more patriotism in my country (Canada).

boosterjuice said:

Ask yourself this:

Why would people bash Americans for being patriotic? How silly is that? I wish we had more patriotism in my country (Canada).

Until you do that is. Trust me.

Besides, this way people from the US can say they are Canadians when we travel abroad...what the hell would we do if you became known for being as obnoxious are we are? :D

Last edited:
melon said:
Any deviation from "Americans" is PC nonsense.

But I guess it is okay to offend Americans as long as we don't offend anyone else, eh?

(I don't mean to sound hard on you...;))

Melon

lol. Im not offended by your post. Nor this thread but them Im from a country that is so insignificant noone even cares to insult it. woe.

I dont mean to offend people from the USA and you will see that is how I usually refer to people from the USA. That was probably my first ever quip about "Yanks".

Might be PC nonsense. Im like that. Worked for Oxfam for years. Try talking to people from El Salvador about "Americans/in America" and see what happens.

(not that Im picking on you either)

Bout damn time somebody stands up and says it! The Anti-American movement in the world is disturbing, and I don't care if U don't agree with our policies, or our Prez, the level it's been taken 2 is disgusting.

Back
Top Bottom