Compromise...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marr

The Fly
Ok, since this forum has turned into a battle field between 80s and 90s followers, I'd like to ask you to turn it back into a u2 fan forum, so here are some thoughts:

1.In my opinion, ATYCLB and HTDAAB are both very good records.If any other band would realease them I'd say it's great, however we're talking about U2 here!!!
It's not just any other band! It's supposed to be the best band in the world! So perfect albums are barely enough for U2 fans.
2.Pop is not a bunch of synth-pop unfinsihed tunes, everybody who claims so, has no idea of what this album is.
I became a U2 fan thanks to POP.
3.We are all U2 fans, so were one, but for God's sake, not the same, and people around here should respect each other differences.

Hope you'll understand that it's not just sensless and pointless critisizing, but a view of a u2 fan.

Marr said:
a battle field between 80s and 90s followers

What most people don't realize, or ignore for some reason, is that 80s have 2 album trylogies and the 90s just one.

I (for example) like Boy-October-War and AB-Zooropa-Pop much, much better than U2's "american" albums trylogy (UF-JT-R&H) wich I like the least of all U2 albums...

So it's obvious that an album like ATYCLB, wich is a return to UF-JT-R&H wannabe and also just another american record is very low on my list (not because I'm "90s follower"), while HTDAAB is a mix of first trylogy and the 90's trylogy (for me) so it's much better IMO and also higher on my favorites list.
This all has nothing to do with being 80's or 90's follower, it's about liking or disliking certain music styles.

Marr said:

2.Pop is not a bunch of synth-pop unfinsihed tunes, everybody who claims so, has no idea of what this album is.

3.We are all U2 fans, so were one, but for God's sake, not the same, and people around here should respect each other differences.

Just want to point out the disparity between these two statements.

There are no groups of U2 fans. Every individual has only his opinion. I for one, love Zooropa and Pop. Achtung Baby is my favorite album ever. Pop is a hidden work of art which is one of the best U2 albums for me. I dislike ATYCLB. I think the band can do much more. It was full of mediocre and plain bad songs, with a gem here and there, sometimes killed by production, only to be resurrected live.
I LOVE The Bomb. One of the best U2 albums along with Pop. Also a work of art.
So, all of you who claim that only die hard and blind followers love the last two albums, you're very wrong.

Well said djerdap..far too many people here try to polarise and generalise, which hinders decent discussion.

Well said too, SOJ...
What irritates me the most is that a lot of people here are trying to prove their point. Several hundred times. PROVE it. In terms of music, which is the polar opposite of objectivity.
You dislike the new album? Fine.
You adore the new album? Even better.
Just get used to the fact that there will be always be people who will disagree. And there is no right or wrong in terms of music.
Except maybe for Love Rescue Me. That song is REALLY bad. :wink:

Except maybe for Love Rescue me-GREAT SONG
GREAT
GREAT

If it was made by Jacqoues Houdek or Ivana Knedl or Jasmin Starvors
Or in world known artists, JOJO, Britney, Backstreet, Justin...

Pop-just great
Zooropa-not as good as Pop but great
Achtung-BEST
Joshua-2nd

If you disagree, ok
If you don't disagree, even better than the real thing

Oh, i'm saying djerdap's words, shit, but then again he's my rolemodel.

djerdap said:
There are no groups of U2 fans. Every individual has only his opinion. I for one, love Zooropa and Pop. Achtung Baby is my favorite album ever. Pop is a hidden work of art which is one of the best U2 albums for me. I dislike ATYCLB. I think the band can do much more. It was full of mediocre and plain bad songs, with a gem here and there, sometimes killed by production, only to be resurrected live.
I LOVE The Bomb. One of the best U2 albums along with Pop. Also a work of art.
So, all of you who claim that only die hard and blind followers love the last two albums, you're very wrong.

This is my opinion EXACTLY. Cool to see someone who feels the same!

I'd just like to say that U2 songs can appeal or repel on many different levels. One fan is going to appreciate the band more for their music where another is more into the lyrics. For myself it is more important that I appreciate the meaning or emotion embedded in the song than the musical qualities. There are exceptions to this though - e.g. Vertigo. I liked Vertigo on first listen as a fun rock piece - and still do. After a few listens I realised I had been to this club Vertigo where you wonder what the f*&^ you are meant to be doing pretending to have fun. But now something like Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own or One Step Closer or Miracle Drug do a lot more for me on an emotional level.

Some fans were turned off by Pop because of the industrial beeps and noises and dance vibe to the album. Others loved those sounds. Still others could see that the lyrics in the songs were arguably some of the band's best ever - be it Please, Gone, Last Night On Earth, Wake Up Dead Man.

Then of course songs evolve over time. By the end of the Popmart tour Last Night On Earth was a fantastically rocking number. I hope it is resurrected for Vertigo '05.

Cheers

P

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom