Complete U2 - What's Missing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BonoFan78

The Fly
I think it would be useful to start a thread of songs missing from the apple's version of the complete u2. We already have a list of 446+/- songs.

This will give everyone a chance to compare their own catalog with the true "COMPLETE U2", and see what they still need to get a hold of.

You can include cover tunes, and other songs you feel fit the category.

I'll start, and will add more when i have a chance to look over the list of 446....

Mercy
Everlasting Love
Unchained Melody
Neon Lights

All these you mentioned are COVERS. I'm kinda glad that U2 and Apple didn't feature covers on the box set, as far as I know(but maybe I am wrong), with the exception of the excellent Night and Day, who has only the lyrics in common with the original version.

The majority of b-sides that are missing are covers. Not every publisher has a deal with I-Tunes and regardless of it being U2's version they dont have to allow those.

As for Mercy, it hasnt even been released yet. Until its released officially dont expect to see it anywhere except on through leaks like we have.

Wasnt American Prayer a soundtrack song? Im not familiar with the background to it but it may have been on a release and U2 gave up the rights to it and the current publisher may not have a deal with Itunes.

It really is complete, aside from some omissions and a real lack of anything to draw the longtime fan in. Sure, some will buy it but seriously when you can rip it yourself at a higher better bitrate and already own the majority of the material buying it off Itunes makes no sense. Its not illegal to rip your own MP3s if you own the albums.

There are some live collaborations w/other bands - i.e. - acoustic version of One with R.E.M., I Got You Under My Skin w/Sinatra (Bono only), also just though of "The First Time" from Million Dollar Hotel - even though it's instrumental. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me from Batman soundtrack isn't here.

Obviously they can't include Live Aid since it's being marketed separately.

A friend of mine in the industry was telling me recently about the weird rules re: licensing for like, cover songs, etc. - I think it probably has to do with that - the covers not being in the Complete box.

Also, when other labels and/or other A&R teams are involved sometimes you can't get the rights to do things that you've done for other projects. Like, "Hold Me Thrill Me" is on there as part of the Best Of, but not as being from Batman.

The Smashing Pumpkins DVD was the same way - it's the "Complete" videos, and it is, with the exception of ONE - "End is The Beginning Is The End," which was done for a different label as part of a soundtrack project. Things like that often "don't count" in things like the Complete U2, items of that nature.

One - Tibetan Freedom Concert

Until The End Of The World - Greenpeace CD (not sure if this was a live performance or a different mix)

A Room At The Heartbreak Hotel (there was a shorter 4 minute version)

Hands That Built America - movie version

Cheers,

J

Last edited:
They were performed at that one concert, which was released as a three-part album. I doubt we'll ever see studio versions of them.

They're solo projects anyway, so they don't count.

dmesq said:
YOU CAN’T GIVE AWAY YOUR HEART
FULL METAL JACKET
YESTERDAY AND TOMORROW
HOME (THIS BIRD HAS FLOWN)
CHIBA CITY BLUES
STRANDED

Full Metal Jacket became the song we've come to know and love as Vertigo I do believe.

zoopop said:
I think they should have put a Zoo TV show in there.
Exactly.

I want more live stuff.

Elevation, Boston would be fine, on MP3?
The Slane Concert 2001?
ZooTV?
Rattle And Hum DVD tracks?

Where is it?

Hoodlem said:
It would have been cool to see the Captive Soundtrack on there.

Yes, as I don't think its one of the easiest releases to get hold of these days, fortunately I got mine in the late 80's.

I'm fairly certain it was released through Virgin, at least here in the UK, probably A&M in the US, so maybe there is some kind of issue with Edge not having ownership over this particular release.

I would like to see the following (even if they are alternate versions of HTDAAB songs)

Bulldozer
Lead Me In The Way I Should Go

And of course the dozens of songs recorded for ATYCLB..only a few of those out-takes made it to this itunes release..

reggiethedawg said:

Yes, as I don't think its one of the easiest releases to get hold of these days, fortunately I got mine in the late 80's.

I'm fairly certain it was released through Virgin, at least here in the UK, probably A&M in the US, so maybe there is some kind of issue with Edge not having ownership over this particular release.

Doesnt matter if its hard to get, if one copy exists they can get it on Itunes. Besides you can still get it on Amazon today brand new for 11.99 and used for less than 7 bucks.

Captive soundtrack is owned by Caroline records anyway and is not really U2 related.

God Part III said:

Exactly.

I want more live stuff.

Elevation, Boston would be fine, on MP3?
The Slane Concert 2001?
ZooTV?
Rattle And Hum DVD tracks?

Where is it?

You can get all that stuff on P2P's. True illegally though.

However if you own the DVD its perfectly legal to rip the audio yourself and create your own CDs.

bonosleftone said:

You can get all that stuff on P2P's. True illegally though.

However if you own the DVD its perfectly legal to rip the audio yourself and create your own CDs.

Problem is, there is no ZooTV DVD...
:mad:

God Part III said:

Problem is, there is no ZooTV DVD...
:mad:

however there is a laserdisc or overseas DVD, and if you look on some of the bittorrent sites there is a divx version for download

bonosleftone said:

Doesnt matter if its hard to get, if one copy exists they can get it on Itunes. Besides you can still get it on Amazon today brand new for 11.99 and used for less than 7 bucks.

Yeah sure, I realise that. I just kind of meant maybe Edge didn't have ownership rights or something for it to go on iTunes and that perhaps whoever did have the rights doesn't approve of iTunes for whatever reason.

Captive soundtrack is owned by Caroline records anyway and is not really U2 related.

Granted, strictly speaking its not U2 related, and hence doesn't fall under the topic complete U2 - but hey it is Edge after all - it would be good to be up there anyway (not as part of the complete U2) but listed as U2 (The Edge only) for anyone who has missed this album. I don't think by any means its a classic or anything - but for me it does have its moments :D

Caroline Records? I'm not at home at the mo to check my disc but I could of sworn mine was on the Virgin label, was Virgin just the distributor?

Anyway, apologies as I'm wandering a little from the thread, which leads nicely into...

It would be nice to have the Bono vocal version of The Wanderer up there, and maybe some of the alternate takes of tracks on Achtung Baby (I'm not referring to the STS/Hansa out-takes btw) - I think there is handful of tracks that are out there on a very rare promo audio cassette somewhere, including 'One' which I have about 30 secs worth of an MP3 of buried away somewhere at home on an archived CD downloaded years and years ago - which at the very least is a different vocal take. If anyone can shed any light on this I'd be interested to hear.

Here's my best estimate of what's missing, using the conventional criteria (stuff that had been released in some form at one time):

Here's probably the biggest holes--stuff I really would have expected to see included:

Can't Help Falling in Love (Mystery Train Dub)
Lemon (Bad Yard Club Edit)
Beautiful Day (Perfecto Mix)
Stuck in a Moment (acoustic)
Walk On (Hallelujah Mix)
Electrical Storm (Band Version)

Those are the big shockers. Then there are all the covers--it's already been said that there were probably rights issues with those.

My first realization is that there are several promotional and import cuts missing, but that shouldn't bother anyone but me.

I also found a few anomolies: The version of "A Sort of Homecoming (live)" on the "Unforgettable Fire" single is only 12 seconds, and the preview shows it to be blank.
The version of Discotheque on the Pop album is given a time of 5:09. That album cut is supposed to be 5:19. To me it sounds like the 12-inch mix.

Here's a my list of Gaps for any who want it:

Two Hearts Beat as One (long version)
--There are other more rare edits missing too, but not very important
The Australia "Unforgettable Fire" single versions of "A Sort of Homecoming (live)" and "Love Comes Tumbling"

Dancing Barefoot (long and short version)
Everlasting Love
Unchained Melody
Paint It Black
Fortunate Son
Can't Help Falling in Love (Mystery Train Dub)
Numb (Emergency Broadcast Network remix)
Numb (Perfecto Reverse Mix)
Lemon (Bad Yard Club Edit)
Lemon (Lemonade Mix)
Lemon (Lemonade Mix edit) -- two absenses that are BIG disappointments
Popmuzik
Happiness Is a Warm Gun (both mixes)
Please (UK Edit - 4:26)
MOFO (Matthew Roberts Explicit Mix)
MOFO (Matthew Roberts Explicit Mix Edit)
MOFO (Phunk Phorce Edit)
Love Comes Tumbling (with false start)
Hallelujah Here She Comes (edit)
A Room at the Heartbreak Hotel (edit)
Beautiful Day (David Holmes Mix)
Beautiful Day (Perfecto Mix)
Beautiful Day (Pefecto .. . I forget the name. It's a nonvocal edit)
Beautiful Day (Quincey & Sonance edit)
Walk On (radio edit)
I Remember You (Live Irving Plaza)
Don't Take Your Guns to Town
Stuck in a Moment (radio edit)
Stuck in a Moment (acoustic)
Elevation (VanDyk remix)
Elevation (Paul Van Dyk radio remix)
Elevation (Paul Van Dyk nonVox edit)
Walk On (Video Version)
Walk On (Hallelujah Mix)
Electrical Storm (Band Version)
Discotheque (Hexidecimal Mix, Best of Edit)
Neon Lights

I would also add to this a few compilation and soundtrack songs, though there may be licensing problems for these, too:

Until the End of the World (soundtrack mix)
Until the End of the World (live from Greenpeace II album)
Stay (Faraway Mix)
The Wanderer (Faraway Mix)
I'm Not Your Baby (from End of Violence soundtrack)

MixingBliss said:
I would also add to this a few compilation and soundtrack songs, though there may be licensing problems for these, too:

Until the End of the World (soundtrack mix)
Until the End of the World (live from Greenpeace II album)
Stay (Faraway Mix)
The Wanderer (Faraway Mix)
I'm Not Your Baby (from End of Violence soundtrack)

:applaud: Good work! I was going to do something like this, since it was easy to compare what I own against the Complete U2.

Numb (perfecto mix) - available on the Numb - Promo
Night & Day (Youth Mix) - available on the Out Loud tribute album
Walk On (Remix) -- US Promo remix (cat # INTR-10360-2)
I Will Follow (Live 14-May-82) -- From the Dutch 45 of I Will Follow Single (cat # 104.525)
Desire (9:23) --- Long Hollywood Remix version
When Love Comes to Town (Live from the Kingdom Dance Mix) - from 3d dance mixes
God Part II (Hard Metal Dance Club Mix) from 3d dance mixes
Wire (dub Mix) - from NME 45 sampler
October (remix) - from they call it an accident (if just for laughs :lol:)
Night & Day - Original from Red Hot + Blue

It would have also been nice to get Excerpts from Rattle & Hum too

Mostly I was hoping that they would cover more of the vinyl era so I would have better copies of the rarities. I'm torn between this is cool! and where's the rest of it? :shifty: "You give it all and I want more..."

Back
Top Bottom