Comparissons between HTDAAB and ATYCLB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2_Guy said:

"U2 sounding like U2" is the less intelligent U2 remark ever. And the most used by "80's fans".

So U2 wasn't U2 during the 90's... Cause they are very less in the 90's about "chime guitar", screaming vocals, "honesty", "integrity", bla bla bla. And because they were actually more inventive and unafraid to be inventive and creative...

creating songs is inventive and creative...full stop, i couldn't write and put together songs like those on HTDAAB...and i doubt anybody on these boards could either...

Lancemc said:

Well, here we go again. Oh well, I'll humor you.

1. The Joshua Tree

2. Achtung Baby

3. POP

Those are three album which nearly every song from them could have been a single. Christ, POP almost DID release every song as a single! Add in ATYCLB and your "HTDAAB is an album of singles, blah blah blah...." response is rubbish. Enough said.

Heheheh have you even listened to POP. Well I doubt very much U2 would ever release Miami, If you wear That Velvet, Wake Up Dead man, Mofo (original), Do you feel Loved as singles. And if you listen to the original of Please this was hardly a radio friendly single either. Oh and Achtung Baby with songs like Zoo Station, Until The End Of the World(no obvious chorus in this one), Acrobat, Love is Blindness and Ultra Violet are hardly standout singles, not to mention tryin to throw your arms, and The Fly was hardly a singlalonga chorus hit for the radio friendly single, now was it.

Now if your talking current U2 its anyones guess what they will release from the 10 singles on the album. Miracle (beautiful Day) Drug, SYCMIOYO, COBL, ABOY, CFYT, OOTS.....all these tracks have standout single status with their out their singalonga choruses, and not to mention the bland A Man And A Woman. So point made.

Actually, I've heard UTEOTW on a few radio stations despite the fact that it was never released as an official single. I suppose I should give those stations a call and see if they would ever play Grace or Peace On Earth. Something tells me that there are some people in this forum that haven't really listened closely to radio anytime recently (not that I would blame y'all)...but seriously, there are a ton of U2 songs we all love and think are catchy, 'single-worthy' tunes that commercial radio would never put into serious rotation unless it was for a special reason (like playing all of HTDAAB before it's released).

Still a HTDAAB virgin here -- hoping that those who enjoy it more than ATYCLB are on a similar wavelength as myself.

rjhbonovox said:

Now if your talking current U2 its anyones guess what they will release from the 10 singles on the album. Miracle (beautiful Day) Drug, SYCMIOYO, COBL, ABOY, CFYT, OOTS.....all these tracks have standout single status with their out their singalonga choruses, and not to mention the bland A Man And A Woman. So point made.

AMAAW - Bland...:mad: :madspit:

rjhbonovox said:
The Fly was hardly a singlalonga chorus hit for the radio friendly single, now was it.

And yet it went #1 in the UK. Shows what you know about releasing singles to appeal to the radio market.

By the way, DYFL and UV would have made perfect singles for the shallow pop masses to gobble up.

Aardvark747 said:
Haha Axver...your love for Ultra Violet!:wink:

I actually wasn't meaning to insult Ultra Violet there ... or wasn't really. I just think that it would have done very well with the shallow pop masses who will latch on to any lustful song.

(By the way, I really do like Do You Feel Loved. The fact I included it with Ultra Violet in my comment has to say something in my favour, doesn't it? Though my interpretation of DYFL is probably significantly different to that of most people ...)

I liked all of ATYCLB on first listen and I like all of HTDAAB on first listen too, for me the new album is just an extension an addition to my wonderful u2 album collection,

I am not going to compare and say one song sounds better than the other, all of their music gets to me in an emotional way, I never bought the pop album but I have all the singles from it which turned out better with all the extra tracks including their cover of Pop Musik..which really did almost cover all the album anyway *lol*
and atchung baby, my husband bought that because he loved the song one, and I fell in love with everything else after listening to it.... I can't compare them I love them all for their own special sound ..

though I have to say HTDAAB is the first U2 album I have listen to straight after its release and went out and bought straight away... but thats only because I realised how good all their other albums were.. this time around I wasn't going to leave it for weeks months or years and I am not disappointed with it:wink:

Axver said:

And yet it went #1 in the UK. Shows what you know about releasing singles to appeal to the radio market.

By the way, DYFL and UV would have made perfect singles for the shallow pop masses to gobble up.

The Fly was released for one sole reason. Not because it was a commercial sounding record cos if you think thats a commercial sounding record then I am amazed. It was released to show that the band were not stuck in the 80's anymore. As Bono said way back then "the fly to me sounds like 4 guys chopping down the Joshua Tree". Of course it went to number 1 on the strength of their then massive following in the uk, also they had a cute marketing trick of releasing the single for a limited time to make sure it got to number 1. Can you remeber this marketing trick or not?

Also I read a quote from Adam Clayton recently that went something like this " Bass playing has been a lot easier on the past 2 albums, than it was in the 90's". Whats this say to you about the music their making now? To me it says that their no longer pushing themselves, if bass playing is easier now then the music is obviously more simple.

rjhbonovox said:

The Fly was released for one sole reason. Not because it was a commercial sounding record cos if you think thats a commercial sounding record then I am amazed. It was released to show that the band were not stuck in the 80's anymore. As Bono said way back then "the fly to me sounds like 4 guys chopping down the Joshua Tree". Of course it went to number 1 on the strength of their then massive following in the uk, also they had a cute marketing trick of releasing the single for a limited time to make sure it got to number 1. Can you remeber this marketing trick or not?

Also I read a quote from Adam Clayton recently that went something like this " Bass playing has been a lot easier on the past 2 albums, than it was in the 90's". Whats this say to you about the music their making now? To me it says that their no longer pushing themselves, if bass playing is easier now then the music is obviously more simple.

That's how i see it too.

rjhbonovox said:

But don´t you get that´s pure quality! Keeping it simple (you said it by the way --> don´t really agree on that one) and still producing the best album of 2004!

Glad by the way that Paul McCartney and Stu Sutcliffe kept it simple...;o)

Yep they have the best album of the year but thats not saying much these days cos there is no decent bands challenging them. You name the opposition, REM have gone tits up with the crap their releasing these days and Radiohead havent released anything this year. The only other album of note this year has been Keane's but they are a bit all the same as they don't use any guitar in their music at all.

rjhbonovox said:

I would love to see a link to that quote. Adam's baselines on this album are his best since AB.

Far better than the ones on Zooropa and Pop (ATYLB doesn't even get a mention - did he play on that album)

That was a quote from the mans mouth. Can't remember where I see it but he said it, and it was just before this album release. Im gonna try find out where I see it, it may have been in the Q magazine.

Keane are a UK band that have had big success here this year with their debut album "Hopes and Fears", big fans of U2 as well.

rjhbonovox said:
I thought U2 had moved on from Sunday Bloody Sunday and carrying white flags but it seems not. It was cool in 1983 but not so cool now. Next thing you will see is Bono with a mullet.

God forbid. Now that would be going waaayyyy to far.

Dalton said:

I would love to see a link to that quote. Adam's baselines on this album are his best since AB.

Far better than the ones on Zooropa and Pop (ATYLB doesn't even get a mention - did he play on that album)

Ahhh found it. Q magazine November 2004....."Playing Bass has become much simpler on the last 2 records, before it used to be so complicated." Adam Clayton.

I think maybe Achtung Baby, Zooropa & Pop were maybe far more innovative records than you may think, well it seems Adam Clayton thinks that way.:wink:

rjhbonovox said:

Ahhh found it. Q magazine November 2004....."Playing Bass has become much simpler on the last 2 records, before it used to be so complicated." Adam Clayton.

I think maybe Achtung Baby, Zooropa & Pop were maybe far more innovative records than you may think, well it seems Adam Clayton thinks that way.:wink:

LOL

You better post a link to that or at least post the quote in context. I play the bass - Zooropa and POP are FAR FAR from being difficult albums.

Again look up the word "innovative" FFS you have the internet, just google it.

I got the magazine but I aint scanning it cos I can't be bothered. Its there in print believe it if you want or don't, I for one couldn't give a fu#k what you believe. I play the bass, oh do you really, wowfu#kinwe!!! See ya.

rjhbonovox said:
I got the magazine but I aint scanning it cos I can't be bothered. Its there in print believe it if you want or don't, I for one couldn't give a fu#k what you believe. I play the bass, oh do you really, wowfu#kinwe!!! See ya.

lol yet your numbskull rants keep breaking against my logic. don't get mad... figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom