Comment on Edge's People spread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whiteflag

The Fly
Hey mods, before you move this to PLEBA please consider that this post might not exactly fit in there.

Anyways, what is up with this spread in People??? Edge spends the last twenty years of his life shielding his private life from public view and being generally shy of the spotlight in his off time. Then the next thing you know his wedding is in People complete with all the usual vapid celebrity-wedding reporting you expect from that mag.

What happened here?

Does this strike anyone else as completely out of character for The Edge to invite the gossip mags to his wedding? Does it seem a bit unreal to anyone else?

And then there is the inevitable describing the food courses etc. Ok I know that Edge is rich and so he lives like a rich man but hearing that he and his guests had champagne and canapes (!) overlooking the Cote d'Azur was a detail I coulda done without. I mean the last thing I want to be reminded of is that rock stars eat canapes and live like gentry. It kinda spoils the illusion for me, ya know? Ok maybe your concept of rock and roll includes canape eating etc and thats perfectly fine but mine doesn't.

So has anyone else seen this article? What do you think of it?

Last edited:
Well, if it was Larry then I'd be a bit surprised. Edge isn't as fond of the spotlight as Bono is, but he's definitely not the most secretive of the bunch...that award goes to Larry!

jessica

I never said he didn't have the right to splurge on his wedding. My problem is with the wedding being reported in People (blech) and all the problems that come with that fact.

it does seem a bit strange
maybe he/they was/were afraid the tabloids would hound the happy couple on their wedding day anyway

I don't think of People as a "gossip" magazine.

If you want to see gossip, check out US Weekly or the tabloids.

That being said, I was SO excited to see that spread in this week, since I just started subscribing.

It doesnt bother me @ all because the Edge is going to do what he wants to do. He prolly let the magizne there because he knew some one was going to show his wedding pics, so he might as well decide who it is.

adamswildhoney said:
It doesnt bother me @ all because the Edge is going to do what he wants to do. He prolly let the magizne there because he knew some one was going to show his wedding pics, so he might as well decide who it is.

:yes: And in my opinion, People is one of the more respectable choices he could've picked.

I think the main reason there is publicity like this is because there is an audience for it....like the people who come to Interference to find out about what's going on with U2. What would the reaction have been if there had been no reports and no photos of the event?

And as far as privacy goes, Weddings, Births, Funerals are all sort of public events anyway. Even if you're not some sort of celebrity, people want to know what the bride wore, who was there, what did they have to eat and drink. That's why the newspapers publish pictures of happy couples every week.

They announce births and deaths in the paper. People read obituaries. It's just that the more important you are, the more detail goes into the story. If you know somebody, you want to know what happened and what it was like. We all sort of "know" Edge. It's was going to be reported, and they chose to allow People to be the ones to cover it.

Besides, Rock N' Roll or not, champagne and canapes are not that unusual at most weddings I've been to. The general rule is the richer you are, the more expensive the champagne is. And I'm sure a lot of backstage spreads at concerts are just as elaborate. Decadence was a big part of Rock N' Roll last time I checked. Now Punk, that might be another story.......

First: Edge and Morleigh can have any type of wedding they want. From everything I've read, it sounds like it was a fairly low-key, very classy event. So they had canapes and champagne....big deal! IT'S A WEDDING. Face it: they ARE rich, they can do whatever they want. Frankly, I'd rather have them live their lives this way than the typical "sex, drugs & rock-n-roll" that so many other rock stars are into. I for one, am thrilled! :heart::edge:

Second: about the spread in People. It may not be that Edge had the tabloids/gossip rags invited to the wedding, but they obviously had professional photos taken, and many times the tabloids or People-esque magazine buy photos from other sources to put in their magazines (and then add their *own* vapid dribble as they see it). It may be that Edge and Morleigh knew there would be papparazzi trying to sneak a peek, so they released their own publicity photos to keep the rabble at bay, so to speak.

It doesn't mean they're any less private people. I've only seen about half a dozen pics from half a dozen sources, and they were all pretty much alike. If they're happy - I'm happy. :)

What's the big deal?

I bought a copy, and the wedding looked absolutely gorgeous. Hey, it could have been "worse" (think Madonna's Scottish castle wedding and all of that hoopla). At least we didn't hear every little detail of the ceremony for weeks on end like other rock stars.

I don't see what the big fuss is about.

I mean the last thing I want to be reminded of is that rock stars eat canapes and live like gentry.
A lot of people spend money they don't have by throwing a big wedding, it really doesn't bother me to know those details.

In Europe the press is very agressive and no matter how much celebrities try to keep things private, the press will get all the details and more.
Maybe The Edge and Morleigh figure they wouldn't make a big deal about it, let the press get their pics and move on.

I agree with Wetsie that People is really not a tabloid in the same sense as the Star or National Enquirer and I don't see any problem with Edge's wedding being covered. It was also covered by all the major newspapers in Europe and several other magazines in the US. I don't think he invited the gossip mags to his wedding but I'm sure he expected the photos to turn up somewhere.

As far as the canapes and champagne, what's so wrong about that? Yes, the Edge is a "rock star" but he's also a 40 year old man who probably wanted to give his bride a beautiful, classy wedding and has the means to provide it so why not? He's not your typical sex/drugs/rock and roll type guy anyway so it really didn't surprise me that he had the type of wedding he did.

I hate to be lame, but what is on the cover? I looked at the one with the wedding pics on the cover, but Edge's wedding wasn't in it anywhere! Is that the wrong one or did I miss it??

U2Kitten said:
I hate to be lame, but what is on the cover? I looked at the one with the wedding pics on the cover, but Edge's wedding wasn't in it anywhere! Is that the wrong one or did I miss it??

It's the one with Tatum O'Neil on the cover. :happy:

You're not lame!

they had it in a public park. sooo....not like they could really un-invite people...or People for that matter...i'm sure it was just protecting their interests. that one pic is better than a thousand shot from the air. meh.

obviously he needed the money(!!)

Edge is allowed to have any kind of wedding he likes, it IS his wedding,theres no problem with having champagne and canapes, hes hardly going to say to Morleigh "oh sorry honey, i have to keep people happy be keeping up with the rock n'roll stereotype, even though ive never conformed to it before.its fish and chips for us, darlin'!" yeah, right.

BUT, if someone had of told me "I think Edge is going to sell pictures to People" i would have said "Thats rubbish, he would never be so tacky, he would never compromise his integrity like that, and plus, hes not big on the publicity thing"

i dunno, i was very surprised.

ccolhandlaura said:
obviously he needed the money(!!)

Edge is allowed to have any kind of wedding he likes, it IS his wedding,theres no problem with having champagne and canapes, hes hardly going to say to Morleigh "oh sorry honey, i have to keep people happy be keeping up with the rock n'roll stereotype, even though ive never conformed to it before.its fish and chips for us, darlin'!" yeah, right.

BUT, if someone had of told me "I think Edge is going to sell pictures to People" i would have said "Thats rubbish, he would never be so tacky, he would never compromise his integrity like that, and plus, hes not big on the publicity thing"

i dunno, i was very surprised.

I don't think we should assume that the Edge himself sold these photos to People. Like Lilly said, this was held in a PUBLIC garden. The residents in the area were asked for the courtesy of staying away during the ceremony but couldn't be stopped if they wanted to watch from a distance. The photographer obviously made some money in the deal but I really doubt that Edge had any direct negotiations with People.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom