Come to think of it...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
... I find ATYCLB to be a lot like The Unforgettable Fire!

Before any of you start flaming me, lemme make my point clear! :wink:

Even though UF's lyrics are, in my opinion, much much better overall than ATYCLB.. both albums are very mood based. If I'm in the right mood, I find myself absolutely in love with both these albums! But other times, I find both boring!

Anybody else feel the same way or see the similarity in the music?

I kinda see your point...first song is very atmospheric/triumpant opener kind of thing, second is possibly a little cheesy, 3rd is more of a rock song, fourth song on both albums contains the word "walk" several times....

And the second of half of each album is definitely pretty weak.

Anyway I do get the same feeling, sometimes I love the albums and other times they kind of bore me (yes the UF bores me sometimes, blasphemy isn't it). It's funny because in one sense they are polar opposites, ATYCLB is supposed to be a "collection of songs" that could all be singles (although I can't see Grace climbing the charts :wink: ) whereas the UF has to be taken as more of an album album.

VertigoGal said:
I kinda see your point...first song is very atmospheric/triumpant opener kind of thing, second is possibly a little cheesy, 3rd is more of a rock song, fourth song on both albums contains the word "walk" several times....

Wow! :ohmy: I didn't even analyze it that much.. but you're right! :lol:

VertigoGal said:

:hmm: I might have to disagree with you on that one. I think Peace On Earth / When I Look At The World / New York is quite possibly among the strongest.. if not THE strongest part of that album!

I stopped once I realized I was gonna have a tough time explaining how In a Little While and 4th of July are similar. :wink:

I like New York live, Peace on Earth is alright lyrically but the music isn't great (I do listen to the song sometimes though), and When I Look At the World is kind of boring for me. On the unforgettable fire, Bad is possibly my favorite song of all time, and MLK is nice in it's own special way, but let's say I haven't yet come to "appreciate" the other 3. :no:

VertigoGal said:
I stopped once I realized I was gonna have a tough time explaining how In a Little While and 4th of July are similar. :wink:

:lol:

I love everything about When I Look At The World! :love: Great intro! Beautiful use of the guitar in the chorus! Lyrics that don't suck.. unlike other parts of the album! And finally... that guitar solo! :combust:

Also.. it's been 5 years and I have to say that In A Little While has really grown on me! Lyrically I still think it's a bit poor but musically, it's just gorgeous... very un-U2 too!

Last edited:
Maybe I'll listen to it again...I installed iTunes last summer and the song has a play count of zero (and I'm pretty sure I haven't listened to it on CD lately either)

:tsk:

but I can't listen now, I am listening to my 5 Radiohead songs and actually enjoying them a lot, I know you of all people would not want to spoil this moment. :wink:

ps- no matter what axver says, I :heart: IALW

Last edited:
isn't BAD on the 2nd half of UF?

so that completely saves anything that's considered weak because of the awesomness of Bad

VertigoGal said:

:tsk:

the 2nd half of the UF that has Bad & Indian Summer Sky in it is not week

the UF > atyclb in most ways

i don't find myself needing to be in the right "mood" to enjoy the fire, i do have to be in certain moods to enjoy lots of atyclb

VertigoGal said:
I am listening to my 5 Radiohead songs and actually enjoying them a lot, I know you of all people would not want to spoil this moment. :wink:

:lmao:

As much as I hate to derail this thread, I want to know what 5 songs you're listening to! :ohmy:

yeah Bad is on the second half and frankly the whole CD could be shit and still be worth it for the one song. But I do think that the rest of the songs are kinda weak.

zootles: idioteque, creep, karma police, fake plastic trees, and nice dream. and i lied, i still think idiotheque kind of sucks, but nice dream in particular has grown on me. :yes:

anyway back on topic...in beautiful day, bono mentions the colors green and blue which are both significant in irishy things, and is an obvious reference to the fact that UF was recorded in that irish castle (even if half the songs were dedicated to MLK)....so yeah very intriguing to say the least

:shifty:

Last edited:
In a Little While is interesting though

U2 doing R&B

you don't see that everyday, too bad Bono's voice couldn't handle it as well back then IMO

I like in a little while :shrug:

VertigoGal said:
yeah Bad is on the second half and frankly the whole CD could be shit and still be worth it for the one song. But I do think that the rest of the songs are kinda weak.

you don't like Indian Summer Sky? :sad: I love that song

but yes, overall the 1st half is better on the fire

atyclb i'm not so sure about

VertigoGal said:
zootles: idioteque, creep, karma police, fake plastic trees, and nice dream. and i lied, i still think idiotheque kind of sucks, but nice dream in particular has grown on me. :yes:

:tsk: Idioteque kicks so much ass!!! :rockon: Anyway, I'm glad you like Nice Dream... absolutely gorgeous! :heart: those violins! :drool: :drool: :drool:

VertigoGal said:

anyway back on topic...in beautiful day, bono mentions the colors green and blue which are both significant in irishy things, and is an obvious reference to the fact that UF was recorded in that irish castle (even if half the songs were dedicated to MLK)....so yeah very intriguing to say the least

:shifty:

:hmm: Interesting. I've never heard that theory!

Zootlesque said:
So do any of you guys.. LMP, tre.. see the similarity in mood?

Oh I definitely agree with what you're saying

UF se the mood it way better and I won't go into it since it's been said atleast 3598406984064 times since I've even seen this site.

ATYCLB is a mood album as well like you said: New York, Grace, In a Little While, When I Look at the World, Peace on Earth, Kite, Beautiful Day, and Walk On all set the distinct tone of the album and I feel you sort of get that feeling when you listen to it

It falls into my "Whole is greater than the sum of its parts" category. I have to listen to all of ATYCLB to appreciate most of its body of work (except the 4 singles and Kite :shrug: )

The record ATYCLB could've been would've been even more UF-ish. Yes, I'm talking about the MDH songs. The Ground Beneath Her Feet, Stateless, Falling At Your Feet....combine those three with Beautiful Day, the ending trio of New York/When I Look At The World/Grace, and perhaps the ATYCLB B-Side Summer Rain, and you have the makings of a good record.

namkcuR said:
The Ground Beneath Her Feet, Stateless, Falling At Your Feet....combine those three with Beautiful Day, the ending trio of New York/When I Look At The World/Grace, and perhaps the ATYCLB B-Side Summer Rain, and you have the makings of a good record.

:up:

I still haven't listened to Falling At Your Feet, though!

Would this be kind of what you mean namckuR?

1. Beautiful Day
2. Elevation
3. Walk On
4. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
5. Kite
6. Stuck in a Moment That You Can't Get Out Of
7. Summer Rain
8. In a Little While
9. Stateless
10. New York
11. When I Look at the World
12. Grace

Last edited:
Glad you like it :), Acoustic Stuck is the only way to go :up:

it cuts to the core to a beautiful song hidden beneath the original cheesy production

LemonMacPhisto said:

it cuts to the core to a beautiful song hidden beneath the original cheesy production

Amen!

And they should never have changed that original order of Elevation following Beautiful Day! Stuck in 2nd place is like a WTF moment! :huh:

Also, I'm glad you removed Wild Honey. It's only good enough for a B-side, in my opinion!

Summer Rain is a "fun" song just like Wild Honey, just with better execution IMO. Wild Honey should've been a b-side like you said, maybe a 21st Century "Party Girl"-type song? :shrug:

but Peace on Earth was a song that really never caught my attention on the album. When it was snippeted before Walk On I really enjoyed it lyrically, just not in its entirety.

U2 has a weird history of doing things better the 2nd time (for the most part), but they're only human and hindsight is 20/20

Ah! I didn't notice that you removed Peace On Earth! :wink:

Your list is not exactly perfect, then! Peace On Earth is too good to be taken off the album! ;)

i dont think summer rain is in the same vein as wild honey. flower child is more a relative of wild honey than summer rain is.

i like wild honey and thought it was cool to see it live when i saw it elevation tour. i dont get why it gets so much crap here.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Would this be kind of what you mean namckuR?

1. Beautiful Day
2. Elevation
3. Walk On
4. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
5. Kite
6. Stuck in a Moment That You Can't Get Out Of
7. Summer Rain
8. In a Little While
9. Stateless
10. New York
11. When I Look at the World
12. Grace

Kind of...but I'd put Falling At Your Feet in there and I'd make some slight modifications to the running order...something like this...

1.Beautiful Day
2.Elevation
3.Walk On
4.The Ground Beneath Fer Feet
5.Kite
6.Stuck In A Moment(Acoustic)
7.Summer Rain
8.In A Little While
9.Falling At Your Feet
10.When I Look At The World
11.New York
12.Stateless
13.Grace

The only problem I have with that is that I'm not really happy with the Walk On-GBHF transition...everything else has a great flow imo, but Walk On is uplifting and then GBHF is more downbeat, less poppy, less guitar-y song.

And Zoot, you could put POE between Elevation and Walk On and it would be fine.

ATYCLB would suffer greatly if Peace On Earth wasn't on there, how can people dislike this song so much, I think it is criminally underrated

Zootlesque said:

:lol:

I love everything about When I Look At The World! :love: Great intro! Beautiful use of the guitar in the chorus! Lyrics that don't suck.. unlike other parts of the album! And finally... that guitar solo! :combust:

I completely agree with you !!!!!! Great sound! Great song! Great singing!

The song never got the credit it deserves!

Back
Top Bottom