Coldplay iTunes commercial Vs. U2 iTunes Commercial

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zooropa man

Refugee
So, I'm sure by now we've all seen the new colorful Coldplay commercial on TV. Now I like Coldplay, I think that they are good band. Some good songs and all that jazz. What bothers me watching that every time is the U2 comparison. U2 got a lot of flack from their commercials... Coldplay so far... none. Maybe it's too early to say but something bugs me about it. I have the latest copy of their new album and............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................. i don't know, I guess I gotta listen to it a bit more. Anyhow, feel free to either flame me or add your two cents. Peace!

I kind of like the look of the commercial, but they show it waaaaay too much! Then the song gets stuck in my head lol. I liked the U2 commercial better (for the video iPod), but of course I'm biased :D

U2 should be flattered that ColdPlay wants to be them this much...but it kind of makes me a little angry in the same way that Brian Eno is kind of hoaring himself out and lending his sound to ColdPlay...Viva La Vida = Achtung Baby/Unforgettable....i mean come on guys are they not simply copying U2?!!!!!

Viva La Vida = Achtung Baby/Unforgettable....i mean come on guys are they not simply copying U2?!!!!!
Martin compares Coldplay to U2

Monday, June 9 2008, 12:40 BST
By Simon Reynolds, Entertainment Reporter
Coldplay frontman Chris Martin has compared his group's new album to U2's The Unforgettable Fire.

Martin told The Telegraph that their album Viva La Vida, which is released this Thursday (June 12), is comparable to U2's fourth record.

"I always view our albums in terms of U2 albums," he said. Viva La Vida is our Unforgettable Fire in that it's less straightforward, more oblique. It's about sex and death and love and fear and travel and illness. There's light and there's dark."

dooooots

I'm just gonna say it. Chris Martin postures like Bono.

Shocker.

EXACTLY!!!!

this band frustrates the hell out of me sometimes...I've been listening to the album for awhile now on repeat...I like it! But there is just too much damn similarity. Chris Martin was doing a good job disguising it, but it's too much now, and its shining through. His respect for U2 has gone overboard to the point where now he is blatantly copying them. The first time I saw the coldplay commercial I just closed my eyes after it ended cursing coldplay and Martin....I realize they respect U2, but this is too much...between copying lyrics, poses, and going for Eno on 4th studio album...and Chris saying that Coldplay isn't the greatest band in the world..they aren't the greatest band in the world, they are number 7 on the list....oh just shut up Chris...it's all a bunch of phony bs :rolleyes:

Coldplay are so desperate to reach U2's status that they are willing to do even the most obvious things to get there...there are other things besides lyrics,poses, etc. that just subtle things that Coldplay does that I can't even put my finger on it sometimes... and Chris really should've kept his mouth shut about U2, because eventually people are going to realize this....

ok my rant is officially over, go ahead and flame :banghead:

Coldplay's iPod commercial is way better than the U2 one IMO. Just better use of colors and way less cheesy posturing! Of course, like somebody said to me the other day I suppose they learnt from their mistakes and the iPod commercials have improved of late.

way cheesier posturing? Are you kidding me Zoots? I'm sorry, that commercial is way cheesier than U2s

I WANT TO BE BAAAANNNNNOOOOOOO, BAAAAANNNNNNNNOOOOOOO

God what an agonizingly irritating twat that guy is. :down:

Okay maybe I was wrong about the posturing. Chris Martin does try to pose a little too much like Bono. I just like the colors used in the Coldplay commercial way better!

I think they're cool, but they scream Beatles to me, and wasn't that what we trashed U2 about? I dunno, I thought the colors in the U2 one were effective, they were trying to stick within the Apple marketing direction and it worked, imo..

Maybe the Apple marketing colors changed? I dunno. But I doubt Coldplay would stretch beyond what colors the Apple guys want to use.

Hey guys, let's compare an ad made 4 years ago with one made probably a couple of months ago with no regard to technological advances, and instead turn this thread into a bitching rant about how Coldplay try to be U2! :happy:

Seriously, why do we even have thread topics?

In terms of the video, I think they're equally effective with regards to marketing and reaching an audience considering how long ago the Vertigo ad came out. The Vertigo iTunes ad got me into U2. The Viva La Vida ad is just as good for the times, and it has a distinct possibility of getting me into Coldplay. Thus, it has served its purpose.

In terms of the video, I think they're equally effective with regards to marketing and reaching an audience considering how long ago the Vertigo ad came out. The Vertigo iTunes ad got me into U2. The Viva La Vida ad is just as good for the times, and it has a distinct possibility of getting me into Coldplay. Thus, it has served its purpose.

:up:

I was only stating personal preference as to which one I preferred visually.

like the u2 commercial better simply for the song...that coldplay tune is annoying as hell to me, sounds like "speed of sound" which i didn't like either.

violet hill is a lot better

Martin compares Coldplay to U2

Monday, June 9 2008, 12:40 BST
By Simon Reynolds, Entertainment Reporter
Coldplay frontman Chris Martin has compared his group's new album to U2's The Unforgettable Fire.

Martin told The Telegraph that their album Viva La Vida, which is released this Thursday (June 12), is comparable to U2's fourth record.

"I always view our albums in terms of U2 albums," he said. Viva La Vida is our Unforgettable Fire in that it's less straightforward, more oblique. It's about sex and death and love and fear and travel and illness. There's light and there's dark."

Didn't he say that X&Y was supposed to be like UF too?

Viva La Vida = Achtung Baby/Unforgettable....i mean come on guys are they not simply copying U2?!!!!!

I'm sorry, but this is hilarious for so many reasons.

1. Viva isn't even close to being the next Achtung Baby.

2. By comparing Viva to those two records, you are merely glorifying the accusations of plagiarism.

And (on a rather unrelated note) 3. There are more Coldplay threads on the first page of EYKIW than there is on the first page of B&C.

way cheesier posturing? Are you kidding me Zoots? I'm sorry, that commercial is way cheesier than U2s

I WANT TO BE BAAAANNNNNOOOOOOO, BAAAAANNNNNNNNOOOOOOO

God what an agonizingly irritating twat that guy is. :down:

Pot, meet the kettle.

Back
Top Bottom