Coldplay and Billy Corgan on U2 in EW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
rjhbonovox said:

Also Coldplays new single is great, pisses all over anything off HTDAAB, especially COBL! Whoops.....controversial!:wink:

I actually find Coldplay's newest single very derivative. Just me, i guess.:|

personally, i LIKE coldplay, certainly don't LOVE them
but i hope they step up and bring the rock to the next generation, give the kids something to LOVE. lord knows they don't have much. u2 can't do it forever, and the 15 year olds need a solid, thoughtful, melodic and inspiring band to write the soundtrack of their lives. coldplay seems like a good bet.

oh yeah, i LOVE billy corgan's music, but lets face it, the guy's words are like farts out of my ass - plentiful, occasionally brilliant, but frequently stinky - sometimes nauseating - (although i don't take any offense whatsoever to this particular quote).

rjhbonovox said:

He didn't say "the Best Band of All Time." He said -

Martin won't bristle if you compare Coldplay's latest to U2's anthem-packed The Unforgettable Fire. "I love the idea of lots of people in a big place singing the same thing," he says. "U2 are the best band of all time at that. That's what we're striving for in 50 percent of our songs, and the other 50 percent are more introspective."

Best band at playing a certain type of song where lots of people in a big place are singing the same thing! A little different, me thinks!

Also Coldplays new single is great, pisses all over anything off HTDAAB, especially COBL! Whoops.....controversial!:wink:

So you rip new U2 endlessly for being boring and rehashed, yet you love Speed Of Sound, a dull fucking song if I ever heard one and it rips off one of their bigger hits to boot!

doctorwho said:
I'm going to challenge this a bit.

U2's last album debuted with nearly 850,000 copies sold in the U.S. and has gone to 3x Platinum. For anyone to say that this "isn't quite a blockbuster" should be flat-out smacked upside the head. In an era of illegal downloads, these types of numbers - especially for a 25 year old band - are incredible.

Now, if by "blockbuster" they mean quality - well, that's HIGHLY subjective. I'm listening to some Coldplay live now and let me tell you, it ain't U2 live - by a long shot. They sound like a really really good, really refined garage band, but nowhere near the awe-inspiring performances of U2. Their songs simply do not uplift - they are just melancholy. They are like Radiohead-lite. I have yet to be overwhelmed by anything Coldplay has done.

As for Corgan's comments - he's right. U2 were heavily inspired by Echo and the Bunnymen. But seeing as how both groups came out around the same time, the influence is minimal. In contrast, I hear a lot of Echo and U2 in the Smashing Pumpkins, so Corgan should be watchful of his words - because if U2 ripped off Echo, so did he.

Edited to add: As I listen to this live Coldplay CD I also hear TONS of U2. So if U2 ripped off Echo (highly questionable...), Coldplay is "ripping off" both U2 and Radiohead. Maybe they'll succeed, but I just don't think this new album will be this 3x Platinum album that U2's latest has become.

Perfect! :up:
Especially this : " Their songs simply do not uplift - they are just melancholy."
I was thinking the exact same thing while I was doing some ironing last night :ohmy: and had some Coldplay music on. I couldn't help but think "something's missing". I could hear U2-influences but it didn't grab me by the throat the way U2 music does.

I heard the new single again today - and suprisingly, I am really enjoying it. I think it's the chorus what does it for me. None of their songs since 'Yellow' has grabbed me that way.

:hmm: Maybe I SHOULD give the album a chance....?

I got tired of Speed of Sound after 10-ish listenings :(
Kind of makes me reluctant to get their new album.
I love Don't Panic and Warning Sign. Never get tired of those.

Come on, when I listen to Coldplays new single, it sounds like a group that is fresh and exciting, U2's latest offering (COBL) sounds like a tired attempt from a band that have run out of ideas.

City of blinding lights is superior over sound of speed. Sound of speed sounds like a standard old coldplay song, nothing special. They usually have one good song each album such as clocks and yellow. The rest of the tracks off those albums sound very predictable and plain, I haven’t heard X&Y yet but I think I know what to expect.

Coldplay sucks. The smashing pumpkins are much better :)

rjhbonovox said:
Come on, when I listen to Coldplays new single, it sounds like a group that is fresh and exciting, U2's latest offering (COBL) sounds like a tired attempt from a band that have run out of ideas.

What is fresh and exciting about it? sounds tired and pedestrian to me, not to mention it just rehashes their piano and anonymous vocals formula..

LOL "pedestrian", I've never heared that expression before in this context :laugh:
I'm gonna say that for the rest of the day, stop being so pedestrian, that's VERY pedestrian, could that song *be* more pedestrian?
:laugh:

I prefer "a rush of blood to the head" over EVERY track from ATYCLB and HTDAAB.

Yep thats right !!! :wink: And speed of sound does more for me than COBL.

Bono thanked Billy Corgan in the liner notes for ATYCLB; I'm guessing for the Stay cover at the Bridge Benefit? I don't like Echo and the Bunnymen, I've tried to get into them to no avail, I don't hear much of a similarity.

I love Coldplay and will get the new album when it comes out, but Speed of Sound just sounds like Clocks Pt 2 to me, same drum beat, atmosphere.

kakvox said:

I actually find Coldplay's newest single very derivative. Just me, i guess.:|

I have noticed on here quite a few people calling Coldplays new single derivative and then in the same breath saying COBL is fresh and original. Miracle Drug, COBL and SYCMIOYO sound a hell of a lot like songs that U2 have done in the past......I mean Miracle Drug is Beautiful Day part 2 it has virtually the same chorus, used the same coke riff, that they didn't go near for the glorious 90's. COBL is just a rehash of ideas left over from The Unforgettable Fire and SYCMIOYO is so close to being a Bon Jovi song that I can't even stand listening to it now.

Also I was a bit harsh maybe before with my original statement....Speed Of Sound is as good as the best tracks on HTDAAB (Love and Peace Or Else, OOTS, Vertigo) but it is a far better song than COBL, SYCMIOYO and Miracle Drug......them being verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry derivative!

Neenie said:
City of blinding lights is superior over sound of speed. Sound of speed sounds like a standard old coldplay song, nothing special. They usually have one good song each album such as clocks and yellow. The rest of the tracks off those albums sound very predictable and plain, I haven’t heard X&Y yet but I think I know what to expect.

Coldplay sucks. The smashing pumpkins are much better :)

Exactly. Just because a song is boring and uninspired (oh excuse me, I mean uh...new and experimental :| ) doesn't mean that it's a good song. Some music snobs forget that sometimes. :wink:

So yes, COBL > SOS.

Oh, and Smashing Pumpkins are better. :yes:

XHendrix24 said:

Exactly. Just because a song is boring and uninspired (oh excuse me, I mean uh...new and experimental :| ) doesn't mean that it's a good song. Some music snobs forget that sometimes. :wink:

Just because a song is written by U2, then it dosn´t mean that its a good song. Some fans forget that sometimes :wink:

And i am not saying that COBL is a bad song, because that would be lying.

SOS > COBL

yimou said:

Just because a song is written by U2, then it dosn´t mean that its a good song. Some fans forget that sometimes :wink:

Hey, if Coldplay had written City of Blinding Lights I'd like it just the same. I mean, I liked Clocks. However, a Clocks Pt. 2 doesn't really interest me as much. :wink:

However, I can probably agree that SOS is better than most of ATYCLB.

But COBL is still > SOS. :wink:

XHendrix24 said:

Hey, if Coldplay had written City of Blinding Lights I'd like it just the same. I mean, I liked Clocks. However, a Clocks Pt. 2 doesn't really interest me as much. :wink:

However, I can probably agree that SOS is better than most of ATYCLB.

But COBL is still > SOS. :wink:

I know what you mean :wink: COBL is a great song.

But still SOS > COBL :wink:

Wait we need not argue over such things

Achtung>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Everything:wink:

Come on Speed Of Sound is a beautiful song, COBL is just a grasp at re-working Where the streets have no name.....

You know people always say that chris martin does'nt try to be like u2 but he's always talking about bono and u2 so it makes me
think he wants coldplay to be labled the next u2. The bottom line
is if you want your band to be remebered you've got to create something new.

Bono's shades said:
I know this is sort of off-topic, but Echo and the Bunnymen's "The Killing Moon" is one of my favorite songs ever.

I like that song, too :).

Personally, I love U2, but I do also like what I've heard by Coldplay, Smashing Pumpkins, and Echo and the Bunnymen. "Speed Of Sound" is a good song and so is "City Of Blinding Lights". And I don't really care who the "next big thing" will be. If I like a band/song, that's all that matters to me. I'm a pretty simple person to please :).

Angela

edgeboy said:
You know people always say that chris martin does'nt try to be like u2 but he's always talking about bono and u2 so it makes me
think he wants coldplay to be labled the next u2. The bottom line
is if you want your band to be remebered you've got to create something new.

I think Coldplay, with the storm there kicking up in the states, are well on there way to being remembered for their own type of music. I heard that The Speed of Sound is the first song from a UK act to debut in the US Top Ten since The Beatles Hey Jude....not a bad achievement. Also hasn't anyone noticed how many bands are trying to copy their style.........Athlete, Embrace to name just 2 sound just like Coldplay on certain songs. Although I will say that the Coldplay sound has come from a mix of U2 and Radiohead but then again every group borrows from the past no matter who you are....apart from Jimi Hendrix that is....and he came from another planet!

I like Speed of Sound and love Coldplay, but, let's face it, Speed of Sound is Clocks II, which actually makes it The Unforgettable Fire III.

Also, All Music Guide wrote a review of the new album which was dead on about Coldplay, but they have now removed it. :scratch: But it basically said that the album was very good but that they have reached somewhat of a dead end, primarily due to repetition and Martin's lyrics. They said that Coldplay will never overtake U2 as the biggest band because U2 makes sweeping songs about sweeping things, while Coldplay makes sweeping songs about essentially nothing.

Back
Top Bottom