COBL = Where the streets have no name?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dabiggestu2fan

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Right at the begining of the song, the guitars are very semilar to where the streets have no name. Does anybody else see this? Its just amazing now with the new clips which are closer to CD quility then we've ever gotten! I am in love with this song. This song would fi nicely in jashua tree. if thsi song came out when JT came out then we'de be remembering this song as one of the classics allong with where the streets have no name, with or without you, in gods country and so on.

what are your opinions? do you guys think this song has jashua tree written all over it?

Boys we are in for perhaps one of U2's best album if not THE best. Thats if the reviewers are correct and City of blinding lights is one of the weaker songs i cant imagine how MD is ganna be like!

Nico

It reminds me the most of The Unforgettable Fire, although the verses remind me a lot of Walk On. That changes when the chorus comes. A big 80's sound.

Streets gave birth to COBL.

This album will blow our minds right out of the solar system and back.

frankly all of the reviews i read said COBL was a strong track, and that crumbs from your table was the weak link...

Bono's stated that one of his inspirations for the song was when he was playing Madison Square Garden for the first time after 9/11, just a little over a month after the events, and all the emotion that was running through the bilding when Where The Streets Have No Name kicked in... so as axver said, streets gave birth to COBL...

... which is why I think they'll transition City of Blinding Lights into Streets on tour

COBL would make a nice closing song on tour. I'm sure all the fans would like to be left with "All you look so beautiful tonight"

I sure hope not....I'd like to see it live one day. :|

In any case, this song brings back flashes of UF more than Joshua Tree.

edit: this song is going to be pretty emotional when it's played in New York City for the first time.....wish I could be there. :scream:

Last edited:
i think it would be a perfect companion with 'Kite', its just got that feel, especially with the intro guitar/strings. I love it!

I don't find the beginning of Streets very similar with the beginning of COBL. It's classic 80's U2 with those high notes sounds from Edge's guitar.

I think this song has a mix of sounds from the atmospheric sounds and feel from The Unforgettable Fire and the guitars from Achtung Baby but at the same time with the maturity that we got from All That You Can't Leave Behind. :up:

Yeah it kind of gives me the same feeling as Kite. It's beautiful in the same way. Man I love love love love this song!! I'll probaly end up liking Kite better in the long run (it's my favorite song) but you never know! Right now Blinding lights is my favorite song by light years.

I personally think it has more an 'All I Want Is You' feel to it than 'Streets', especially the way Bono passionately delivers the chorus, "Oh-You-Look-So-Beau-tiful! Tonight..." He's singing it full out, tapping into that realm of the highest order.

City Of Blinding Lights is nothing but a morph of a non-single from ATYCLB (When I Look At The World) and a B-side (Always) - with some Joshua Tree signature Edge guitars thrown in - and with a few lyrics picked up from the boyband/popstar songwriting manual.

To compare it with Streets would be blasphemous, sacrilegious, and whatever else have you.

Cheers,

J

jick said:
City Of Blinding Lights is nothing but a morph of a non-single from ATYCLB (When I Look At The World) and a B-side (Always) - with some Joshua Tree signature Edge guitars thrown in - and with a few lyrics picked up from the boyband/popstar songwriting manual.

To compare it with Streets would be blasphemous, sacrilegious, and whatever else have you.

Cheers,

J
you're right, the only album that was original was Boy, and every album since then has been a hack... :eyebrow:

Last edited:
jick said:

Cheers,

J
I find it amusing how you didn't even attempt to argue my points...but not at all surprising.

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
actually from the blender article:

[q]4 “City of Blinding Lights”
Vintage U2: rich imagery, driving guitars
Clayton: “This began as an outtake from Pop. To us, it was an homage to Scott Walker. The working title was ‘Scott Walker’.”[/q]

I understand why they didn't worked this song more during the POP sessions, it sound like nothing else on Pop, so it would be weird on that record.

TheBrazilianFly said:

I understand why they didn't worked this song more during the POP sessions, it sound like nothing else on Pop, so it would be weird on that record.

sounds like If God Will Send His Angels a little bit or Please, I wouldn't be surprised if COBL shared the same source as one of those songs

bcrt2000 said:

sounds like If God Will Send His Angels a little bit or Please, I wouldn't be surprised if COBL shared the same source as one of those songs

I don't hear it. :shrug: I'll listen to it again later and pay more attention to see if I find that.

COBL does not = Streets, but.... it sounds like it's going to be amazing anyway. i feel like streets has a more urgent tempo, while COBL is more laid back. hey, different is good, right?

While the piano backing gives the song a kinda ethereal feel to it, I have a thing against a major sound that is an integral part of the song not being played live. It takes away from U2's greatness as a live band. Sadly, I don't think either Bono or Edge are playing the piano bit of COBL live.

Cheers,

J

jick said:
While the piano backing gives the song a kinda ethereal feel to it, I have a thing against a major sound that is an integral part of the song not being played live. It takes away from U2's greatness as a live band. Sadly, I don't think either Bono or Edge are playing the piano bit of COBL live.

Cheers,

J

I get this feeling that at full tour concerts, Edge will most likely be playing the piano. I very much doubt that U2 would feature that piano part if none of them can play it - look at songs such as New Year's Day and The Unforgettable Fire. Remember, this is a "hello, we're back, we have a new album" promo gig, not a full-blown concert on the Hut Dab Tour.

That said ... I doubt anyone here has a problem with Bad or Streets, do they?

jick said:

Cheers,

J

The organ to Streets is more integral. Do you have a problem with that not being live?

Bono mentioned a couple years back for the new album he was toying with the piano (due to influences from coldplay), i'll place my bet on bono playing the keyboard live this time around

TC2290 said:

The organ to Streets is more integral. Do you have a problem with that not being live?

thats true, thats the most classic U2 song and the backing isnt even live.. stuck in a moment also wasn't all live, the intro to gone or last night on earth weren't live, could probably go on and on with this one

Back
Top Bottom