COBL percussion defense

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
rjhbonovox said:

No, you said that they badmouthed ATYCLB., not me. I don't know if they did or not. But all I have heard is them making these comments about Pop was unfinished, over and over again. Thats what pisses me off, it's one of their best albums and yet cos it doesn't sell, it was not finished. It's bullshit talk.

You know very well if they hadnt been rushed by there label, they wouldnt say any of that crap that they say about not a finished album. U2 didnt have time to finish the album the way they wanted to, so thats why they say it was unfinished, becasue they were rushed to making decisions instead of experimenting in there own time, and finishing the album the way they wanted to. Its not that it didnt sell, its the fact that they didnt have enough time to finish it.

MrBrau1 said:

And using LNOE to put down newer U2 records is ludicrous. It's the most "paint by numbers" U2 song on the whole record. You hate U2 for sounding like U2 on ATYCLB and HTDAAB, but you think it's brilliant on Pop?

Just going back to this point, Last night on earth is no way a U2 by numbers song. Name a song that U2 have done in the past that sounds like LNOE? A U2 by numbers song is City Of Blinding Lights, Miracle Drug, Crumbs From Your Table......they are all U2 by numbers songs with the chimming coke riff guitar sound that they have done a million times before. When somebody can say to you, which they have to me about this new album and the last album, "Oh yeah you can tell thats U2, it sounds like them, they sound all the same" then that is U2 by numbers.

macphisto23 said:
but Pop is a great album, and so is ATYCLB

It's hard for me to see somebody REALLY enjoying Pop and ATYCLB on the same level. It's like saying I am a dog and cat person.

unnamed_streets said:

It's hard for me to see somebody REALLY enjoying Pop and ATYCLB on the same level. It's like saying I am a dog and cat person.

I have always wondered why I like both albums. Now I know why, it is because I like both dogs and cats.

rjhbonovox said:

Just going back to this point, Last night on earth is no way a U2 by numbers song. Name a song that U2 have done in the past that sounds like LNOE? A U2 by numbers song is City Of Blinding Lights, Miracle Drug, Crumbs From Your Table......they are all U2 by numbers songs with the chimming coke riff guitar sound that they have done a million times before. When somebody can say to you, which they have to me about this new album and the last album, "Oh yeah you can tell thats U2, it sounds like them, they sound all the same" then that is U2 by numbers.

It's one of the most U2 by numbers song ever. When Pop came out and everyone was down on it, the one song I could play for people, that I knew they'd like was LNOE. Guitar intro, brooding verse GIGANTIC CHORUS, quiet middle 8, outro with "Yeah, Yeah"

"Now this sounds like U2!"

That's what I'd hear. I'd play'em Gone-pass, DYFL-pass, WUDM-pass, but they all loved LNOE, cause it sounded like good ole U2.

Last edited:
unnamed_streets said:

The honest truth is I like every single U2 album, every single album creates a diffrent mood, and theres something diffrent about every single U2 album that I like for diffrent reasons. Maybe Im one of those blind fans that they say, but I seriously like every U2 album, every single album, even Passengers. I also Like Radiohead's Kid A and Pablo Honey at the same level, to completly diffrent records but there great.

macphisto23 said:

The honest truth is I like every single U2 album, every single album creates a diffrent mood, and theres something diffrent about every single U2 album that I like for diffrent reasons. Maybe Im one of those blind fans that they say, but I seriously like every U2 album, every single album, even Passengers. I also Like Radiohead's Kid A and Pablo Honey at the same level, to completly diffrent records but there great.

Yeah, I see what you're saying. I'm kinda like that except that there are varying degrees. I like ATYCLB and HTDAAB but DEFINITELY not as much as the 90s albums. Okay, I admit I use the acronyms only when they're instantly recognizable. :mad:

MrBrau1 said:

It's one of the most U2 by numbers song ever. When Pop came out and everyone was down on it, the one song I could play for people, that I knew they'd like was LNOE. Guitar intro, brooding verse GIGANTIC CHORUS, quiet middle 8, outro with "Yeah, Yeah"

"Now this sounds like U2!"

That's what I'd hear. I'd play'em Gone-pass, DYFL-pass, WUDM-pass, but they all loved LNOE, cause it sounded like good ole U2.

Maybe Last Night sounds like a U2 by numbers song to you in the context of that album. Because almost everything else on there is experimental as hell. But compared to songs from ATYCLB or HTDAAB that are painfully obvious stereotypical U2, Last Night is way different.

unnamed_streets said:

Maybe Last Night sounds like a U2 by numbers song to you in the context of that album. Because almost everything else on there is experimental as hell. But compared to songs from ATYCLB or HTDAAB that are painfully obvious stereotypical U2, Last Night is way different.

Abso-fuc#ing-lutely correct! People thinking that LNOE is U2 by numbers must have cotton wool in their ears, the only reason for saying something like that is that the song is the most straight forward Rock song on Pop compared to the two following albums LNOE is experimental as hell!

Pop isn't nearly as "experimental" as song people claim it to be. It's really just a dance rock album. And even the second half of the album is really just rock songs and ballads save for Miami. The thing is, the album IS unfinished. When I first heard it I thought it sounded unfinished in a way. I'm not saying the album's bad, I love POP. But, it's unfinished. The "Please" single version is so much better than the album version, and really lets the song reach its full potential. The fact that U2 says the album is unfinished it because it is. Just compare the sound to other album like The Joshua Tree, or Achtung Baby, or even Zooropa. Most of the songs on POP lack a certain fullness or "glow" if you will. That's all.

Lancemc said:
The "Please" single version is so much better than the album version, and really lets the song reach its full potential.

No No No....I just can not believe your statement here. The Please single was just like U2 have become on the past two albums taking a raw album song and then buggering it up by overproducing it. The album version was raw, had a different edge to it, FAR better, a band that was experimenting in a studio not leaving it too some guy to come in and add keyboards and synths and lose the whole fuc#ing vibe of the original song. The Live version was great also, but the original album version had a great rawness to it that is totally lacking from U2's last two albums.

rjhbonovox said:

No No No....I just can not believe your statement here. The Please single was just like U2 have become on the past two albums taking a raw album song and then buggering it up by overproducing it. The album version was raw, had a different edge to it, FAR better, a band that was experimenting in a studio not leaving it too some guy to come in and add keyboards and synths and lose the whole fuc#ing vibe of the original song. The Live version was great also, but the original album version had a great rawness to it that is totally lacking from U2's last two albums.

I actually agree with you here. Scary

THEY NEVER FINISHED POP, GET FUCKING OVER IT!!!

The great songs on POP only reached their full potential on POPmart which I have to say was waaaaaay better than Elevation. U2 on POPmart will never be beaten in terms of artistry.

Ask Willie!

I dunno, one reviewer at another U2 fan site, claimed "City" was "a big f-you from Adam and Larry" to Henry Rollins for saying U2 has one of the worst rhythm sections.

To the original poster, you may have a point.

Anyone, correct me if I'm wrong, but is Larry using brushes at the beginning of City? That definitely would change the sound, as brushes hitting a drum sound softer than a normal drum stick.

Interesting side note, Adam says "City" began as an outtake from Pop.

Lancemc said:
Pop isn't nearly as "experimental" as song people claim it to be.

Of course, much less experimental than Achtung Baby or Zooropa.
Half of it (If God will send..., Staring at the sun, Last night on earth, Gone, Wake up..., Please) is straightforward rock, with some VERY U2 sounds. I'm counting Discotheque here too, the added beats don't deny the fact it's built around that riff.

I like how no one said anything when they changed Who's gonna ride your wild horses, or Please/Last night/If God on single versions (the album was SO finished they changed 3 songs right with the single releases), or Walk on for single versions. Some of those were a lot like live versions.

Yet now, when U2 made new mixes (hey if they can't do new mixes, you should critisize them for making single versions too. but I forgot, U2 was allowed everything in the 90's and nothing in the 00's) - again some of them borrowing off live versions - they supposably "apologise" for the songs.
Long live double standards.

i might be alone here but COBL puts me to sleep from the guitars to the vocals!!!!!!

and who ever compares streets with cobl need to be bitched slapped :wink:

most over rated song off the album(or maby ever)

Last edited:
shaun vox said:
i might be alone here but COBL puts me to sleep from the guitars to the vocals!!!!!!

you really are an idiot, can i ask something, why the hell are you going to see them on this tour? as it will mostly be new songs?

oh and your a guns n roses fan i gather, what aload of s**t they are

haha i love this guy:wink:

yes im going to go see u2 im also going to wait after the show so i can meet them again!

why am i going to see u2 live if i think their album is crap.

lets see they will play NYD, SBS,BULLET,ONE,maby plese ,UTEOTW,pride i mean i could go one but you get the point !!!

they are all original members and they are the same people that created AB,WAR and JT!

shaun vox said:

they are all original members and they are the same people that created AB,WAR and JT!

Exactly! What's wrong with seeing them live just to hear classics like One and Streets?

But shaun, I gotta say that if you explain better why you dislike the present u2 instead of statements like "they suck" and "bano can't sing", you'll be taken more seriously on this board.

shaun vox said:

Really?! Not even the bass does it for you? I haven't seen anything but praise for Adam's work on it.

It's okay for the bassist get a little attention every now and again, it doesn't always have to be the guitarist and singer. The bass on "Sweet child o mine" is great. See, I don't know the guy's name, cos Slash gets most of the attention.

I'd pay $30 to go see U2 if they played at a small club and only played "New Year's Day" "Streets" "City" "Hold me...kill me" and "Gloria."

U2, I think they have quite a few fans, who are wanting to see them for the new material, which isn't often the case with new material right?

There shouldn't be any problems with COBL for the live gigs, Larry will be heard loud and clear.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom