Cobl?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blueyedpoet

Refugee
Am i the only one who finds Edge's singing in this song really annoying? Usually the Edge sounds brilliant, but during the chorus - and this is only true of the live versions - he sounds like a horrible failing opera singer. Again, usually - hell, every other time - I have loved Edge's vocals..but this vocal is just terrible.

bedouin fire said:
doesn't sound good to me as well

that was for the chorus back vocals, because i must say also that in the "time won't leave me as i am" part edge does a great back vocals as usual

Wow. I thought I was the only one. Yes, I would like COBL live more if Edge let Bono do the singing

I didn't find anything wrong with Edge's vocals on City Of Blinding Lights when I saw them two nights in a row. So... Yeah.

the LA pre-tour rehersal and san diego versions didn't seem to have edge singing this way...i heard it first on some bootleg and i thought i was some fat ugly lady singing in that crowd....the edge is always so good...why this??????

It's alright, but I agree, I think the song would be better without it...I also don't like that cheesy piano intro, I'm sorry, I just don't. I have a live version (Anaheim 4/1/05) that has an extended intro but not the piano part, I like it much better that way...

AtomicBono said:
I also don't like that cheesy piano intro, I'm sorry, I just don't.

*Imagines an all-slide guitar intro just like the Even Better Than The Real Thing (remix)* :drool:

i think this is one of the things that will eventually pop up (Poor background singing) because U2 does not put back up singers on the stage like the Stones do or some other big name acts.

Plus, I'm sure Edge's guitar gizmos keep him pretty occupied.

I noticed this too, only on the live version of COBL. Edge sounds off key when he sings "Oh you look so beautiful tonight."

i'm learning to hear past this...still, edge just shouldn't sing the "oh you look so beautiful tonight" or he should just sing in that odd echoy voice (which i love!)

he sounds great on the other harmonies on the song "And I....", "time...." as he usually sounds great singing harmony with Bono.

But I have to totally agree, the harmony on "oh you look so beautiful tonight" is honestly, horrible. If he sang it lower than Bono it would work great, as it is, I have no idea what they hear, when they hear that, but it's something that could scare my cat.

that's what i don't get...they always sound so good together..and edge always (save this time) has a great sense of being able to adjust his vocal projection to stay "underneath" Bono...this is so odd

Back
Top Bottom