clearing up all the versions of POP songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marik

Refugee
once and for all (unless this was done elsewhere is an easy to read format) lets map out all the different versions of the POP songs.

alternative versions song by-song (lets not worry about remixes)

1. DISCOTHEQUE- the 'new mix' on best of (new intro and no 'boom-cha's')

2. DO YOU FEEL LOVED - none

3. MOFO - only remixes

4. IF GOD WILL SEND HIS ANGELS- 'single' version (switches lyrics up, different outro)

5. STARING AT THE SUN- the 'new mix' on best of (what's the big difference here?)

6. LAST NIGHT ON EARTH- is there a different single version? what are the differences?

7. GONE- the 'new mix' from best of (newer vocals)

8. MIAMI- none

9. PLAYBOY MANSION- none

10. IF YOU WEAR THAT VELVET DRESS- bono with Jools Holland version

11. PLEASE- 'single' version (biggest difference here?)

12. WAKE UP DEAD MAN- none

that's it to my knowlegde. any help or changes would be appricated.

marik said:
6. LAST NIGHT ON EARTH- is there a different single version? what are the differences?
yes. i've not had a chance to rip everything from the pop-era onto my computer (yeah it's only been eight years, lol) but i noticed i do have this one on there. i'll give it a listen and get back to you if no one else replies. i know it's slightly different though. for starters it's got 30 seconds shaved off it (single: 4:16 vs. album: 4:45).

you might as well put the Popmart Mexico City version on there because it cleans house completely! :wink:

marik said:

This version has a different intro, chorus, and bridge.

No guitar intro. A bass and synth intro.

Bono re-recorded his chorus vocals.

Bridge vocal adds "could you believe in someone" from the live version.

Album version is better.

Re: Re: clearing up all the versions of POP songs

MrBrau1 said:

Album version is better.

Not sure about that...the vocals are pretty ragged -- and since the only reason was because they were recorded at 7:00 in the morning after a marathon week of trying to get the album finished, as opposed to Bono trying to go for that sort of sound, I think the single version's better.

This is one of the singles I think benefited from having a little time to sit with it.

Re: Re: Re: clearing up all the versions of POP songs

nathan1977 said:
...the vocals are pretty ragged
Yeah, and they should be. I prefer the album version too.

Might be worth mentioning that "If God Will Send His Angels" and "Staring at the Sun" have also gotten the electronica remix treatment.

Re: Re: clearing up all the versions of POP songs

MrBrau1 said:

Album version is better.

Didn't they also add the solo from the live version?

Re: Re: Re: clearing up all the versions of POP songs

U2girl said:

Didn't they also add the solo from the live version?

I wish. It would be one of U2's best tunes if they did.

The single verion of Please got the live solo added.

they ruined every remix they did from pop.

every original version is better.

JOFO said:
they ruined every remix they did from pop.

every original version is better.

Do you mean the Best Of remixes? While I agree that the originals are better, I'll never turn down getting to have 2 versions of 1 song.

As for single versions, I disagree that original versions are better. I think IGWSHA and Please blow away the album versions. My jury is still out on Last Night On Earth though, it's a tossup for me.

In any case I need to listen to POP again. Its my second favorite album but I really got burnt out of it last winter and hadn't listened to it much the last 6 months or so. Then when I went to Chicago to see U2, I popped in POP after listening to HTDAAB and I was blown away with how awesome and fresh it sounded. ahhh Pop :drool:

Just finished listening to Pop for the 8974834563456th time. What a great album! By the way, I agreed with Jofo only on the best of mixes. With the single versions... it's hard to tell which ones are better.

But the popmart mexico city versions of Please and Staring blow everything away!!! :drool:

I think the remix of please for the single is an improvement but it lost something in the groove; it's not as special a groove; I can't explain it.

igwsha is better on the single but it sounds like they rushed to finish it; the end sounds forced.

don't even get me started on the best ofs....

Back
Top Bottom