Clayton Hints of New Direction on Next Record

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dismantle

Babyface
Note the highlighted section...hint of a new direction on the next record???

How U2 Masters Music and Activism
Adam Clayton credits Bono and band's fans Rock legends in T.O. for four sold-out shows

BEN RAYNER
POP MUSIC CRITIC

It often seems these days that U2, the band, is in danger of becoming completely overshadowed by Bono, the crusader.

One will, however, find no resentment within the durable Irish quartet's ranks over its singer's headline-grabbing habit of hobnobbing with world leaders on behalf of numerous noble causes.

"It's amazing to see somebody who you basically grew up with at school and who you've been in a band with for 25 years going to the White House," says bassist Adam Clayton, nibbling on mixed nuts somewhere in the catacombs beneath the Air Canada Centre, where the band will kick off a sold-out string of four shows tonight. "That's what we all signed up for. What excited us at 16 or 17 was punk, and the reason that turned us on was because (we were) angry about wanting things to change, that frustration. And that's still a part of what we are ...

"Bono gets around. But I think it's the U2 audience that he ultimately carries to those sorts of things, and our fans are very intelligent, they're very proactive, they're very committed."

Thus far, U2 has managed to sidestep the fate that has befallen some other artists similarly juggling pop and politics, such as Bob Geldof or Peter Gabriel, whose musical careers have been notably waylaid over the years by their commitment to activism.

Yet, despite Bono's ubiquitous advocacy, the band still managed this year to produce another hit album, How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, and to sell hundreds of thousands of concert tickets on the first leg of its current Vertigo tour.

"It's a trade and, I think, what's unique about Bono is that he's been very successful at speaking the language of politicians and knowing the numbers and knowing the arguments and making great records, as well," says Clayton, 45. For a band that has held sway at the top of the rock 'n' roll heap more or less consistently since The Joshua Tree broke large in 1987, U2 maintains a commendably rigorous work ethic summed in Clayton's statement: "If we're not in the studio, we're on tour. That's the way it's always been in this band."

The only extensive break the band has taken, he says, was a six-month layoff prior to recording 1997's Pop disc — a critically and commercially maligned album that, sadly, heralded the end of the triumphantly experimental Achtung Baby/Zooropa era and marked a return to the somewhat less interesting anthemics of classic U2 on 2000's All That You Can't Leave Behind and Atomic Bomb.

"It made for an interesting record but it wasn't really a complete record," Clayton now says of Pop. "It's always nice to do those experiments, but sometimes you have to make sure you have a song there. And I think what happened with Pop was it became so abstracted that the shows didn't really shine. That was our fault — we abstracted everything out and didn't really finish the songs. I think we're a better band now and I think we would finish the songs, but I think we're also less interested now in being that abstract."

Clayton will confess a personal desire to "expand the sound of U2 a little bit" in its next recording endeavour, as the band has now issued two consecutive records with "a certain kind of sound and theme." U2, he says, is very conscious of not wanting to turn into a listless caricature of itself in old age.

"In a way, though, you can't criticize a band like the Stones for still going because there's still thousands of people out there buying tickets. That's the justification right there. As long as there people out there who will jump up and down in adulation and who are passionate about you, you're not going to turn that down. It's an amazing thing."

What I want to know is if they're going to continue down their

'somewhat less interesting anthemics of classic U2 on 2000's All That You Can't Leave Behind and Atomic Bomb.' route

or start being experimental again.

The latter I hope.

"In a way, though, you can't criticize a band like the Stones for still going because there's still thousands of people out there buying tickets. That's the justification right there. As long as there people out there who will jump up and down in adulation and who are passionate about you, you're not going to turn that down. It's an amazing thing."

:yes:

"our fans are very intelligent, they're very proactive, they're very committed."

translated to, 'they bitch like a mother f*****r'

Hmm that is both encouraging and dissappointing to hear from Clatyton..that they don't want to be too abstract anymore probably means the songs won't be as intriguing as the '90s work, but I'm pleased to hear at least that they want to move away from the sound and themes of the last two albums and to prevent artistic stagnation. I think from his remark on wanting to expand the U2 sound, that we will see some more colour in the production next time out, at least.

So when's the new album coming out? :sexywink:

I hope they do continue to mix it up! This tank should have no "repeat" gears, not just no reverse gears! ;)

U2 have always expressed their desire to be diferent everytime time they do a new record. They have been saying it since they recorded October, then War, then Fire, then Joshua...(etc.) so I do hope they take their music into a new direction once again.
Hopefully the next step is to go beyond what they experimented in Achtung or Zooropa, but then again they could get way too experimental and completely turn around and go "ALL out disco- fever" and do a Pop-Discoteque themed circus-album.
That is what is most interesting in this band, it doesn´t repeat itself. It is always morphing into new sounds and ideas.
Whatever the next record wil be, it ought to be impressive. (once again!)

Clayton wants to expand their sound but does not wanna be abstract anymore? Are they trying to get to a middle ground between Pop & ATYCLB?

:scratch:

Zootlesque said:
Clayton wants to expand their sound but does not wanna be abstract anymore? Are they trying to get to a middle ground between Pop & ATYCLB?

:scratch:

You could argue Staring At The Sun, IGWSHA represent a sort of halfway point between those two album's sounds.

"It made for an interesting record but it wasn't really a complete record," Clayton now says of Pop. "It's always nice to do those experiments, but sometimes you have to make sure you have a song there."

:applaud:

coemgen said:
I can't wait to see what they do next. I'm glad to hear they're possibly going to do something a bit different.

This shoud be interesting:yes:

U2girl said:
"It made for an interesting record but it wasn't really a complete record," Clayton now says of Pop. "It's always nice to do those experiments, but sometimes you have to make sure you have a song there."

Clueless Pop hater! :down:

the article and clayton's comments with it, totally underline the fact that u2 post 2000 have produced safe, tame radio-rock.

U2girl said:

the funny thing about u2girl, is her knee-7erk reactions.

unable to defend one of her favourite albums from numerous people who despise it for it's lack of ambition, she resorts to gloating whenever someone says something to the effect of pop not being quite as good as it should be.

it's a schoolyard tactic, really.

students in fifth grade are playing football, and one says to the other "beckham sucks!!! he got a red-card!!! fucker!!!"

and the other replies by saying "yeah, well i guess that's why he's one of the most recognizable athletes in the entire world, right?"

similiarly, a kid with a gretzky 7ersey on the ice gets mocked by other kids who hate the rangers and retort "gretzky sucks ass...he can't even skate!!"

in response, he says "he might not have the nicest skating style, but doesn't he have hundreds of points more than anyone else in the history of the nhl?"

look through the threads here at interference, and look for all her responses. they're always the same. plus, it irritates her to no end when people contradict her divine opinion. 7ust ask me...she blocked me so she can't read any of my posts. that's the reaction of someone with absolutely no interest in hearing anyone's opinions but her own.

-p. wned

Zoomerang96 said:
the article and clayton's comments with it, totally underline the fact that u2 post 2000 have produced safe, tame radio-rock.

What's safe about risking one's reputation and legacy as alternative rock legends by using pop ideas to make themes for difficult and tragic times easier to digest?

"alternative rock legends"?

ALTERNATIVE???

no.

so the question isn't even ligit.

I wonder if u2 would ever do a "no multitracking" album.

Similar to what The Beatles attempted with Let It Be.

This would make sense with the idea that the last 2 albums were their White Album.

u2fp

How about if they just piss everyone off and put out an album of the buzzing of bees and rivers running and Bono doing William-Shatner-esque spoken word haikus?

Layton said:
LOL------Just use Rock legends, then. We'll debate alternative, later.

and i will try and give you a good answer later too...gotta run now.

remind me i forget. :up:

The "U2 are doing radio music now" argument is not getting any stronger despite its repetition, it's certainly ludacris coming from someone who knows U2 and their music.
Don't worrry about it Layton.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom