Clash of the Eno-produced experimental albums: Passengers vs. Low

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
The other day, I was reading the Passengers section of U2 By U2 while listening to, of all things, David Bowie's Low. The combination was fascinating, and I could hear the influence the album had on Passengers. Which one is better? Ask any critic and they'll say Low. However, none of you are critics, and this is a U2 fan forum, so it should be interesting. Remember, no shots below the belt. :wink:

198838.jpg
vs.
1025354.jpg

My take:

Of the two, the stronger album song-wise would have to be Low. One thing that Passengers does that Low does not is coalesce. Low is a scattershot album filled with fascinating ideas that could have been focused and made into a masterpiece, and Passengers is a more tossed-off affair that sounded even more awkward for U2 than it did for Bowie, but the atmosphere of the record is more consistent and appealing. Though Eno was definitely trying something different with Passengers than he did with Low, there are similarities between the albums:

1. A song-based first half and an instrumental-heavy second.

2. Heavy use of electronic instruments, to a level that neither artist had previously tried.

3. Jarring, cold production.

Or maybe those are just Eno trademarks. Regardless, I think I will give the edge here to Low. Both records are strong, but I'd rather have Low fused into my CD player permanently over Passengers.

PS: Eno didn't actually "produce" Low, but had almost as much to do with the album's creation as Bowie did; writing some of the music himself and playing on the album...which is very similar to what he did with Passengers.

Last edited:
Passengers! :drool: I haven't really been able to get into Low or Bowie in general all that much. :reject: I do like a handful of songs but it hasn't made me return to his material. But this thread is making me want to give Low another chance.

Zootlesque said:
Passengers! :drool: I haven't really been able to get into Low or Bowie in general all that much. :reject: I do like a handful of songs but it hasn't made me return to his material. But this thread is making me want to give Low another chance.

Low is just as challenging as Passengers, with more rewards. :drool: There's no tossed-off feel to it (though some of the later instrumentals may cause you to think that way), and the songs themselves are among Bowie's strongest. I wouldn't say it's his best album or anything, but definitely the album most similar to Passengers. :wink:

The first half of Passengers is far superior to anything Low but the second half really falls off. So I have to give it to Low based on how well it holds together. I really like Low but Passengers is a great concept achieves cinematic music. Even so Low is better because Passengers is a great EP but an incomplete LP. If that makes any sense. :wink:

I can't wait for Axver to come in here and stand up for Passengers. :up:

We all know it's inevitable. :wink:

LemonMelon said:
I can't wait for Axver to come in here and stand up for Passengers. :up:

We all know it's inevitable. :wink:

:lol: Actually, I've never heard Low, so I can't really say much on this thread.

My least favourite albums by all artists involved.

I'd rather listen to Boomerang II fifteen times than Passengers OST1. And I prefer Bowie/Eno on Heroes rather than Low.

But for experimental Eno I'd prefer Wah Wah by James or either of the Talking Heads' albums Remain in Light or Fear of Music.

I haven't heard anything at all by the Talking Heads. :|

I'll just go to the woodshed now and save you all some time. :uhoh:

Axver said:

:lol: Actually, I've never heard Low, so I can't really say much on this thread.

You've got to try it make, it is my favourite non U2 album!
I worship Passengers but it is in no way better than Low. A fairer comparison would be Low Vs Achtung Baby.At the time of release in 91, Achtung Baby was endlessly compared to Low in the press. A tie that I would see Achtung Baby would win. Actually thinking about the Achtung Baby comparison, Axver will probably hate Low :))

chocky said:
My least favourite albums by all artists involved.

I'd rather listen to Boomerang II fifteen times than Passengers OST1. And I prefer Bowie/Eno on Heroes rather than Low.

But for experimental Eno I'd prefer Wah Wah by James or either of the Talking Heads' albums Remain in Light or Fear of Music.

Wah Wah and remain in Light are great too!!

Passengers.
Low is overrated. Sure is a good album but Heroes is much much stronger.
I only listen to Always crashing in the same car and Be my wife (but none can compare to Your blue room and Miss Sarajevo). I think the other songs are almost mediocre. And the instrumental side is almost weak. Bowie emulating Kraftwerk...

Are you kidding me?

Low is probably Bowie's best album after The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust, and Passengers is a footnote in U2 history.

The same people who say Passengers is better are the same people who think Adam is better technical bassist than Flea.

Low by a motherfucking mile.

Absolutely brilliant album. I love the way it's split into traditional form songs and instrumentals. Saying the second half of Low emulates Kraftwork is basically saying, "I don't know much about the evolution of ambient and electronic music post-Music for Airports."

Besides the stand-out traditional U2 songs, Passengers is largely a crappy Brian Eno solo record. Hell most of the fluffy safe stuff on his recent Another Day On Earth is better than Passengers' 'experimental' stuff. If you come at Original Soundtracks from the viewpoint of a Brian Eno fan, the material that should be subtle and musically challenging is just bland and restrained by the members of U2 having to fit into the equation.

U2_Guy said:
Passengers.
Low is overrated. Sure is a good album but Heroes is much much stronger.
I only listen to Always crashing in the same car and Be my wife (but none can compare to Your blue room and Miss Sarajevo). I think the other songs are almost mediocre. And the instrumental side is almost weak. Bowie emulating Kraftwerk...
Have you really ever listened to a Kraftwerk album entirely?

LemonMacPhisto said:

Low is probably Bowie's best album after The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust, and Passengers is a footnote in U2 history.

Bowie's career is a footnote in any musical encyclopedia if compared to U2's carrer.

Aygo said:

You mean today? Yep, just listened to Computer World. Now i'm listening to Radioactivity.

Have you?

Last edited:
Aygo said:

Agora vi que vc é portuga. Tenho todos os cds do Kraftwerk, ouço constantemente. E os vi ao vivo em 1998 com o Massive Attack, em um festival de musica eletrônica.

Low - como eu disse - é bom, mas perde feio para Heroes em todos sentidos. Prefiro até 1.Outside pra vc ter idéia...

Canadiens1160 said:
Low by a motherfucking mile.

Saying the second half of Low emulates Kraftwork is basically saying, "I don't know much about the evolution of ambient and electronic music post-Music for Airports."

Funny thing is... i do know. Do you?

LemonMacPhisto said:

The same people who say Passengers is better are the same people who think Adam is better technical bassist than Flea.

I'm puzzled. What does it have to do with the discussion?

And no, Flea is technically better.

But Adam is just better. Like The Edge is better than the Satriani's and Steve Vai's of this world...

Even better than five consecutive replies is the fact that this is the first thread in a long time where I agree completely with Aygo:up:

Canadiens1160 said:
Even better than five consecutive replies is the fact that this is the first thread in a long time where I agree completely with Aygo:up:

I'm a peacemaker, brother.

U2_Guy said:

Agora vi que vc é portuga. Tenho todos os cds do Kraftwerk, ouço constantemente. E os vi ao vivo em 1998 com o Massive Attack, em um festival de musica eletrônica.

Low - como eu disse - é bom, mas perde feio para Heroes em todos sentidos. Prefiro até 1.Outside pra vc ter idéia...

I'll translate it for you not to say we're crossing the rules:

Only now I saw that you're portuguese. I have all Kraftwerk cd's, I listen to it all the time. I saw them live in 1998 with Massive Attack in an electronic music festival.
Low - as I said - is good, but it looses in comarison to Heroes in all senses and ways. I even prefer 1.Outside, for you to see...

Now... my reply:

Well, that's opinions. From the Berlin trilogy, Low is my favourite one. It's more raw, less "round-in-circles" and it's more daring than the other two. It is amongst my favourite.
I still think that it has nothing to do with Kraftwerk music. I've been listening to Kraftwerk since I was a child because my father is a fan of electronic music, and I know many of their albums. It is much different in terms of composition, general sound and themes. There are no similarities.

BTW, it's good to find portuguese-speakers around there. There not much. From Brasil, like you there are 2 or 3 more that are already known, but from Portugal I just know myself and Macphisto_PT.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom