Clash of the Eno-produced experimental albums: Passengers vs. Low

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2_Guy said:

I disagree.

It's not about being talked and visible. It's about making quality music. Bowie's last great album was in the... the... early 80's... :huh:

U2 was/is relevant for 30 years now.

Bowie was relevant for 15 years...

1. U2 has not made much quality music since Pop.
2. Heathen came out in 2002.
3. If it is about quality and not simply being visible than U2 stopped being relevant years ago.

Screwtape2 said:

1. U2 has not made much quality music since Pop.
2. Heathen came out in 2002 and the Labyrinth soundtrack came out in 1989. :wink:
3. If it is about quality and not simply being visible than U2 stopped being relevant years ago.

ATYCLB is a great record. It's from 2000. It will go down in history as one of the best records ever.

Heathen is not great. It's not even one of the best from 2002.

Scary Monsters is from 1980 if i remember well. 27 years ago...

U2_Guy said:

ATYCLB is a great record. It's from 2000. It will go down in history as one of the best records ever.

Heathen is not great. It's not even one of the best from 2002.

Scary Monsters is from 1980 if i remember well. 27 years ago...

ATYCLB will be forgotten over time. It is an unimpressive record.

Heathen IS great. Sunday, Slip Away, Slow Burn, 5:15 and Heathen are among his best tracks.

Screwtape2 said:

ATYCLB will be forgotten over time. It is an unimpressive record.

:down:
ATYCLB will always be remembered as one of U2's finest albums

HTDAAB on the other hand will not :p

Screwtape2 said:

They seem to at least write one classic song every 3-4 years. I'd call that relevant.

Beautiful Day in 2000.

COBL in 2004.

And Stop (The Poverty) in 2007-2008.

U2_Guy said:

I could ask you the same.

It's common sense that Bowie doesn't make a great record since God knows when... maybe Scary Monsters... or Let's Dance (for some)...

Earthling?? Black Tie White Noise?? Hours?? Heathen?? Reality?? You must be kidding...

1.Outside was the only good (not great) Bowie record after Scary Monsters.

So, you're not being reasonable and only personal.

Of course i'm from the opinion that ATYCLB and HTDAAB are great and classic U2 albums, but remember that many people doesn't think that way. If so, U2 stopped making (real) great albums after 1992 and they're on the same pedestal of David Bowie.

You don't like post-80's Bowie's albums? Great! I like some, and I'm not the only one. "...Hours" is very painful to listen to, but "Black Tie White Noise", "Reality" and "Eathling" are very good albums. I bet that some artists wish they could have done something so good like this in the 90's and 00's.

Plus, it is not "common sense" as you claim, it's called opinions.

LemonMelon said:
I haven't heard anything at all by the Talking Heads. :|

I'll just go to the woodshed now and save you all some time. :uhoh:

:eek:

Really, man. Get Fear of Music and Remain in Light right now.

Right now.

Go.

Oh, and as far as the conversation in the thread goes...

Coldplay's first 2 albums >/= U2's last two albums (though U2 slaughters Coldplay as far as overall catalogue goes)

Low > Passengers

Passengers is good and all, and it has some really great points, but as a whole it's nothing compared to the monster of an album that is Low. Plus, about a quarter of Passengers is more or less filler, while Low has no filler to speak of at all.

"Slug," "Miss Sarajevo," and "Your Blue Room" (among a couple others on the album) are really great, though.

WAITING FOORR THE GIFT OF SOUND AND VISIOOONNN :drool:

XHendrix24 said:
Oh, and as far as the conversation in the thread goes...

Coldplay's first 2 albums >/= U2's last two albums (though U2 slaughters Coldplay as far as overall catalogue goes)

Low > Passengers

Passengers is good and all, and it has some really great points, but as a whole it's nothing compared to the monster of an album that is Low. Plus, about a quarter of Passengers is more or less filler, while Low has no filler to speak of at all.

"Slug," "Miss Sarajevo," and "Your Blue Room" (among a couple others on the album) are really great, though.

WAITING FOORR THE GIFT OF SOUND AND VISIOOONNN :drool:
:drool: :drool: :bow:

XHendrix24 said:

Really, man. Get Fear of Music and Remain in Light right now.

Yes, and buy the Remastered version of Remain in Light (with the bonus tracks). There is an unfinished demo called Unison that sounds eerily like Boomerang II (which came 4 years later). They have similar chanting-style vocals, same pulsating bassline and Eno all over them both.

chocky said:

Yes, and buy the Remastered version of Remain in Light (with the bonus tracks). There is an unfinished demo called Unison that sounds eerily like Boomerang II (which came 4 years later). They have similar chanting-style vocals, same pulsating bassline and Eno all over them both.

Also, get David byrnes collaboration with Eno, My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts. recently reissues. It is perfect.
With regard to Low
Warszara :drool:
Art Decade :drool:

Now that I think of it, yeah, I hated X&Y but Coldplay's first two are strong efforts - moreso than HTDAAB anyway.

U2_Guy said:
Sometimes he just jumps on the bandwagon and he has done many bad albums during his career. U2 never made a truly bad album.

And i still think Heroes is miles better than Low.

A) The fact that you said he jumps the bandwagon seems rather silly when you're doing it in a thread that's going on about how great 'Low' is. It's possibly one of if not THE greatest example of Bowie going completely against the trends (i don't recall hearing Bowie trying his hand at some 4-on-the-floor disco pop hit or going punk for the Berlin Trilogy :wink:)

and B) Lies. The instrumentals stand up to those from Low but one or two of the other tracks just bring it down a peg or two. :wink:

Bowie has more critically acclaimed albums that U2 does I believe, I think most critics would agree that Hunky Dory, Rise and Fall..., Low, Heroes and even Station to Station are all classic or must own albums where U2 only have 2 Achtung Baby and The Joshua Tree.

LJT said:
Bowie has more critically acclaimed albums that U2 does I believe, I think most critics would agree that Hunky Dory, Rise and Fall..., Low, Heroes and even Station to Station are all classic or must own albums where U2 only have 2 Achtung Baby and The Joshua Tree.

I think you're right that Bowie has more albums that critics universally like than u2, but I wouldn't say that Heroes or Station To Station are rated any higher than War or The Unforgettable Fire for example.

The thing is:

U2's career is much much much more consistent than Bowie's.

U2 great records are much much superior to Bowie's great records.

U2 great classic songs are much much superior to Bowie's classic songs.

Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby are always among the top 10 list of best records ever. In high positions.

Achtung Baby, in fact, IS the best record ever.

That pretty much sums it all up.

U2_Guy said:
The thing is:
st of best records ever. In high positions.

Achtung Baby, in fact, IS the best record ever.

That pretty much sums it all up.

in your opinion of course :eyebrow:

It's just a shame that you use substandard music magazines to form your own opinion with.

LJT said:
It's just a shame that you use substandard music magazines to form your own opinion with.

You're right. I should take yours over NME...

Are you ppl comedians?

Last edited:
Occasionally at weekends.

Not saying you should take our opinion as the be all and end all, but those magazines are far from what they used to be.

LJT said:
Occasionally at weekends.

Not saying you should take our opinion as the be all and end all, but those magazines are far from what they used to be.

2 things:

1- I said those mags agree with me and not the other way around. I'm not a slave of music mags. Low is Bowie's most acclaimed record and i'm here kind of fighting against that idea.

2- They can be far from what they used to be but the lists i talked about are old...

U2_Guy said:

2 things:

1- I said those mags agree with me and not the other way around. LOL
I'm not a slave of music mags. Low is Bowie's most acclaimed record and i'm here kind of fighting against that idea.

2- They can be far from what they used to be but the lists i talked about are old...
:::wink:

I also don't think it's Bowie's best record, that's Station to Station for me....

But Bowie was very consistent....Hunky Dory to Scary Monsters...they are all pretty good to excellent albums...U2 have been consistent from about War to ATYCLB minus Rattle Hum...it works out about even:shrug:

And to me classic songs are classic songs....I can't really say whether one is more 'classic' than the other...that is personal preference.

XHendrix24 said:
while Low has no filler to speak of at all.

Art Decade is the same few notes repeated over and over with sound effects in the background. :| Speed Of Life, for all of its glories, is basically the same thing repeated 2-3 times. These ideas could have been fleshed out and used elsewhere to greater effect.

U2_Guy said:

2 things:

1- I said those mags agree with me and not the other way around. I'm not a slave of music mags. Low is Bowie's most acclaimed record and i'm here kind of fighting against that idea.

I'm pretty sure The Rise & Fall of Ziggy Stardust is Bowie's most "acclaimed" album.

But really, Q, NME, Spin...

What does Pitchfork have to say about Achtung Baby?

Back
Top Bottom