Clapton can't tell the difference between U2 and Coldplay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whackjester

Acrobat
Here's an excerpt from an MSN article:

On the music he listens to today, musical roots and the "American Idol" factor:
My taste has always been very narrow in that if I go into a record store, I will always try and single out one thing to listen to because of the overwhelming amount of choice. Of all the things that have come out in the last five years, the only one that has really interested me to any great extent has been David Gray. It's quite easy to home in on. It fits my criteria. I am not particularly a fan of groups. I don't particularly understand the group ethic. I was never really mad on the Beatles or the Stones anyway when I was a kid.

My only experience of being in a group was Cream and the Yardbirds. But then, when I really wanted to play, it had to be me. If you went through my record collection, you would find records by individuals more than anything else.

I can't tell, from just listening, the difference between Coldplay and U2. They sound the same. What worries about what's going on right now is that people don't really know where it's all come from, and I don't suppose they're that interested. I heard that guy from Coldplay saying that Richard Ashcroft was the greatest singer that had ever lived singing the greatest song that had ever been written, and I think, well ... I think he probably meant it. But I think what it shows is how incredibly detached all the current stuff is from its roots. It's all become very disconnected. Then again, you've got the marketplace of it, which is, you know, Simon Cowell [judge on TV's "American Idol"]. That's the face of popular music today. That's where the power of music is right now. It sits with Simon Cowell and Coldplay and U2, who are really people who attend awards shows. That's what they do. I don't have anything against them; I just wouldn't want to listen to them.

http://music.msn.com/crossroads/interview

I love it :heart:

First he steals George Harrison's wife and now he's stealing his "I hate all popular music today" shtick...

The whole Coldplay = U2 argument is nothing new and the "just showing up to award shows" line is pretty hypocritical if you ask me...

He has been at the Grammies many times and will probably continue to be there as his music continues to become less and less relevant...

For every person that likes u2, there will be thousands that dont. At least this article isnt inflamatory. He does say he has nothing against em, just wouldnt listen to them.

I shall predict the next five posts:

"Clapton is just jealous because more people say 'Bono is God' these days."

"Clapton is just jealous because U2 are currently selling more albums than he is."

"Clapton sucks anyway. When last did he have a hit?"

"Clapton's too old to understand the current musical sphere. Boo on Clapton!"

"Clapton is just a bitter old man."

Etcetera. :yawn:

Well he is just jumping on the 'diss U2 bandwagon', and what he's saying doesn't really make alot of sense, so that does open him up for cheap shots.

Especially given that not all U2 songs sound the same and are exciting as...oh...sex or chocolate, whereas all Coldplay songs do sound the same and are as boring as the wait at your doctor's office or filing taxes. Therefore it's physically impossible for both bands to sound the same.

:wink:

Clapton and I are like exact opposites...while I like some solo artists almost everything I listen to is a group.

Also it's not U2's fault if Coldplay sound just like them...:wink:

Basically I think he is detached from the current music scene. It's easy to say "Oh American Idol is the face of music today," but that's such a small piece. What about iTunes and myspace and the subsequent availability of much more music than ever before? I just think it's funny that Clapton is excited by almost nothing in the last 5 years, while many people on Interference alone would aruge that 2007 is one of the greatest years in music ever (it's certainly one of the better ones of my lifetime).

Also, I don't quite understand his detached from the roots argument. That's very vague. Is he saying people don't know the influences of music, or that the music from today is so different than what it was 50 years ago or whatever that you can hardly even trace it back to its roots? If it's the latter, then I'd say that's a good thing, because why would you want all music to stay the same? It just shows how much music has expanded and evolved. If it's the former, I'm sure that's true of some people, but not everyone.

Ah, the classic way of UK acts to get attention. Pick a target, and fire away. Even if it doesn't make much sense.

Oh, that's right:

Clapton's too old to understand the current musical sphere. Boo on Clapton!"

"Clapton is just a bitter old man."

Etcetera.

Well to be serious for a second, Clapton never really has had great taste in music. He can play like no other(well at least he used to be able to) and he knows his blues and classic guitarist but the man has always had shit taste outside of that knowledge.

To be fair to Clapton, he was on the cutting edge of music with Cream and Blind Faith. When you are part of anything as exciting as that time you are going to look at this bland period of music as going away from the "roots." I'm not saying he is right but from his viewpoint I can understand why he would say these things.

elevated_u2_fan said:
First he steals George Harrison's wife and now he's stealing his "I hate all popular music today" shtick...

Imagine the start of the next tour:

"People of Boston! You've made a terrible mistake! Eric Clapton says you shouldn't be here! It's all just award shows and American Idol! Well, this one's for you Eric! [middle finger]"

thats because eric clapton is jealous of U2.
:lol: hes a loser...although i do like a few of his songs.

phillyfan26 said:

Imagine the start of the next tour:

"People of Boston! You've made a terrible mistake! Eric Clapton says you shouldn't be here! It's all just award shows and American Idol! Well, this one's for you Eric! [middle finger]"

LMFAO! Classic.

On a side note, that's my favorite Popmart Show!

Fuck Clapton – regardless of whether or not he likes U2.

His English whiteboy version of the blues is watered-down crap for the masses. Take a straight swig of Son House, Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters or Mississippi Fred McDowell (and dozens more Clapton and his ilk ripped off) and taste the real thing for yourself.

Guaranteed to move your soul

javascript:smilie(':up:')

So can anybody remember a time when U2 slammed another artist? I really can't.

How can he say anything about award shows??? He won more grammy awards than anyone in 1992 for his Unplugged album. lol

The_acrobat said:
So can anybody remember a time when U2 slammed another artist? I really can't.

Wallpaper music

White folk rock.

Generally suggesting that artists have to take your best rock band crown and later suggesting no one had while throwing around names would probably qualify as a slam against another artist.

Oh but I'm sorry this is one of those 'U2 can not be criticized or mentioned negatively' threads. :happy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom