City of whining songs ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

onyourkneesboy

The Fly
From another thread (Zootlesque):

..."Moving on to HTDAAB... The weak chorus of COBL!
Okay, I won't go on because I don't wanna come off as an ATYCLB/HTDAAB hater, because I'm not. I do like other things about these albums and they still sound better than 90% of what's out there!"...

I said it before, but again:

As Eno would put it: “this song has quite a few problems”. Well, to my opinion the whole song is a problem! I know I’m offending a lot of people now and that’s not my intention, but as a longtime fan, it’s just how I hear the song.
First of: The piano intro. I understand U2 decided they wanted a simple piano riff. But this riff is so slow, predictable that a toddler would come up with something more original. But one of the biggest problems is about to come: The “slaaiiiide-guitaaahhr!!!” Yugh!!
This is the most WHINING, ANNOYING, MOANING guitar slide-riff Edge ever produced!! He must have had a very uninspired, bad day otherwise he would never come up with such a boring, whining slide-riff. He seeks a certain emotion, I hear that, but instead he takes a wrong turn and it gets enormously cheesy, I’m sorry.. I can’t believe, he himself, and the other members of the band let him get away with it!
Then you get the high ooooh, ooooh’s together with Adam’s pumping bass which sounded pretty good to me on first listen. I remember getting a little pumped up the first time I heard this part. This sounded very promising for the BIG chorus to come…
So I held on tight and then…: “oh…you…look…so…..biejooedifohohol…tonaaaiit………..” What??????? That’s it? Just a stupid yell over the same chord-sequence as the “ooooh, oooooh’s?? I couldn’t believe my ears!! And like it still wasn’t enough, that annoying “slaaaaiide-guitar” again. And although I heard the song for the first time I knew Bono was about to sing:…”in the city of blinding lahaits..” And he did!! How predictable…
Man, I could not believe how much of a caricature U2 themselves were making of this song. The chorus should have gone in a whole new direction so that one really could go: WOW!!! What a great surprising chorus!!! That would have saved the song (from mainly the intro!)
O.K. back to the song: Then you get a bridge and Bono start whining like he wants ice-cream: ..”tssaaahm, tssaaahm, tssaaahm, won’t leave me as I am” to wreck again my nerves with: “oh…you…look…so…biejooedifohohol…tonaaaiit………..” on repeat. And this supposed to be the climax!! Truly this is the worst chorus I have heard from this band in 20 years. Then it fades with the same dull piano…
I can’t believe they want to display so much recklessness and laziness regarding the chorus of this song and the cheesiness of Edge’s guitar. I can’t believe they skipped a song like “Mercy” for this track. Already in demo-form this song grabs your hand and flies off with you. Much more passion and drive!

Conclusion: They should have left City Of…on the shelves and rework it later to a really good song with more inspiration. And give more effort to get the cheesiness out. In this form it’s U2 unworthy. U2 are know for their superb intro’s but this one is so thin, vague, whiney.
Like I said: The song is a U2-caricature. Live it sounds a little better though. (I’m sorry if I hurt somebody’s feelings about this song.)

Of course a lot comments I will be getting now will again be:
- "I like everything on HTDAAB, if you don't like it: don't listen to it"
- "you say your a fan? F... off!
- "Yawn:yawn:"
- all kinds of oneliners
etc...

Hardly anyone comes up with a structural comments when it comes to being critical in this forum!

Let me tell you this:
I don't care about some of those intollerant "U2-fundamentalist-fans" around here and their fanatic comments!
I'm a huge fan since the UF-era, and I have very warm feelings for UF and POP as well. And everything in between. That's for the originality. But when I find some things aren't as good as they could be now with HTDAAB, I think I'm entitled to make my point here too!
With HTDAAB I think their reverse-gear backlashes at them, musically, not when it comes to succes, I know... Their so big now whatever they would record, the tour would sell out!
Of course there's difference of taste, I know that... But a true fan stays critical at his favourite band at all time. Not bowing and yelling: "hallelujah, amen" to everything U2 may record, like some "fans" do around here. Most of the time some critical comments can turn things for the better, especially from someone who cares...

I just think U2 took some wrong turns when it comes to electing the songs for example. "Levitate" and "Mercy" have this highness to their music that I miss so much nowadays. Although it's there in "A Man And A Woman" and "Yahweh". Which are my favourites of HTDAAB!!

hmm:hmm: can anyone say spin off thread..

would you like some cheese with that whine?

you call yourself a fan...I think not...your just annoying...knock it off.

For Christ's sake, stop whining. You should know that people won't change their opinions on songs, regardless of your opinion.

For example, I myself find One an extremely boring song. I've mentioned this a few times on this board, mainly getting reactions like "You're wrong. One is the best song ever."

See? No-one's going to change his or her mind just because you have a different opinion. OK, so you don't like City of Blinding Lights? Fine! Everybody has their own songs they like or don't like. But don't go writing down long stories about it, 'cause it won't help anything or anyone.

Oh and BTW: Levitate is NOT from the HTDAAB sessions. So it wouldn't have been included on the album anyway.

WalkOn21 said:
For Christ's sake, stop whining. You should know that people won't change their opinions on songs, regardless of your opinion.

For example, I myself find One an extremely boring song. I've mentioned this a few times on this board, mainly getting reactions like "You're wrong. One is the best song ever."

:shocked: blashphemy!

:wink:

yeah..to each his own ^what WalkON said:up:........ I think they're fantastic, they totally blow my mind...not every song is going to be "the greatest song ever" and I happen to love COBL....it brings tears to my eyes live........so..there:madspit:

That's what I mean by intolerance!:
When my post would be full of compliments and cheers for this song, the post is never too long, right...?

But when you spill some critique, a lot of people here are very eager to tell you to shut up actually..!

Man, some of you U2-religious fanatics are really scary!!!:huh:

"Oh and BTW: Levitate is NOT from the HTDAAB sessions. So it wouldn't have been included on the album anyway."

I don't care! Your missing the point I'm trying to make! It's the sound!

Levitate sounds more fresh than COBL or ABOY!!

onyourkneesboy said:
That's what I mean by intolerance!:
When my post would be full of compliments and cheers for this song, the post is never too long, right...?

But when you spill some critique, a lot of people here are very eager to tell you to shut up actually..!

Man, some of you U2-religious fanatics are really scary!!!:huh:

It's not the words/arguments. It the tone of the post (and all the others in the past few days). People can and do write insightful critiques of U2's music(al direction) here. However, by bluntly making some statements without a clear structure, you do invite single-line replies, dismissals and such. And by reacting to it in such a manner, it makes it easier for people to dismiss the whole thread. "Oh, it's another one of those If-you're-not-with-me-you're-blind threads."

:shrug:

onyourkneesboy said:
I don't care! Your missing the point I'm trying to make! It's the sound!

Levitate sounds more fresh than COBL or ABOY!!

Then maybe! Your point! Is obscured! By factual inaccuracies! And overuse! Of exclamation marks, question marks, periods and such.

It was like you wrote it because you WANTED to get negative comments so you could point the finger and say "YOU SEE, this is exactly what I am talking about"
I respect your opinion but don't go around accusing people of being crazy fanatics who hate all who criticize U2.
Like Popmartijn said it is all about the tone in the post.

I'm going to congratulate this post and the poster. Whilst i don't agree with many of the points made in it, it is obvious our friend has got strong views on the song and in airing them with us can only help to broaden our U2 understandin. I too think that 'One' is a poor song but will never post an extensive post on why, because i no it will just get anialated. sad really

While people may not agree with onyourkneesboy's opinion, that's no excuse to be rude. Everybody is entitled to his or her opinion and may share it in a civil manner.

See, now, I completely disagree with a lot of this post. City Of Blinding Lights is a solid U2 song. Not a solid challenging U2 song, but a solid song nonetheless.

What, really, is wrong with the intro? It's one of the best U2 intros that I've heard in a long time. That low drone leading into the delayed guitar is wonderful stuff. The piano piece could have been better, yes, but it works with the song.

You mention The Edge's "cheesy" slide guitar riff. If you want to hear cheesy slide riffs, listen to Electrical Storm. That slide is enough to make me want to shove a metal rod through my eye. The Edge's work on COBL is probably his most interesting work on the whole album (which isn't saying much, I know, but bear with me).

The only point I can somewhat agree with you on is the chorus. It's a sort of "anti-chorus" in a way, because it just doesn't sound like one. Bono could have come up with something better, if he wanted to. In its defence, though, it not sounding like a traditional chorus gives the song a little bit of originality. COBL is a little lacking in the originality department, so maybe this is a plus.

All in all, I really don't think it's the terrible song you're trying to make it out to be. Levitate and Mercy are better songs? Don't make me laugh! Levitate only picks up when Adam's cool bass line kicks in near the end, and Mercy is a pile of over-rated lyrical nonsense.

EDIT: Oh, and for the love of God, people:

your - possesive, as in "your grammar makes me cry"
you're - contraction for "you are"

Last edited:
GibsonGirl said:
Now tell me:

Why can't onyourkneesboy proclaim that CoBL is a bad song, but can you say in a matter-of-fact way that Electrical Storm and Mercy are bad? :|

OK, people, here's the deal.

Your opinion is that the songs are bad, but that doesn't mean they are bad. Correct use of words please.

WalkOn21 said:

Why can't onyourkneesboy proclaim that CoBL is a bad song, but can you say in a matter-of-fact way that Electrical Storm and Mercy are bad? :|

OK, people, here's the deal.

Your opinion is that the songs are bad, but that doesn't mean they are bad. Correct use of words please.

Is it really necessary to include "IN MY OPINION" before every single sentence? When you write something, it's implied that it's your opinion. I did not say "It is a proven scientific fact that The Edge spent one minute coming up with the Electrical Storm solo and that Mercy is a pile of crap." I said the solo was enough to make me inflict personal injury on myself. Not U2 fans in general.

When I first heard the song, I thought the piano intro was pretty cheesy, but it doesn't bother me much. I like the little (pre-recorded?) guitar intro they do at the very beginning live. Reminds me of the very beginning of "Streets" during ZooTV.

The chorus "Oh! You! Look!..." does suck, but the whoo-ooh-oohs before it make up for it. The lyrics about time gone by are some of the best on the album, and the middle eight ("tiiiiime...") is very affecting and memorable.

I think the protracted intro and the way the rhythm section comes in remind a lot of people of "Streets" (that's what I thought of the first time I heard it, at least), so people write it off as U2-by-the-numbers. And really, it is U2-by-the-numbers, but it's still very enjoyable.

(Edit: IN MY OPINION.)

typhoon said:

(Edit: IN MY OPINION.)

:lol:

And yeah, I agree with all of what you've just said. Those "woos" before the chorus are magical. Great to sing along to. And the live guitar intro with its reversed delay and shimmer sends chills down my spine. If Edge had have played it that way on the album, the song would have been perfect (IN MY OPINION), despite the lyrical flaws.

I completely agree with the original post.

I think a lot of people are getting confused about what he is saying. Not that the song is "terrible", but that it has weaknesses that did not used to pravail in U2's music. People will post to defend the song by saying that it is a "good" song and then they list a couple of things about it that they don't like. This is exactly what the original post did. The only difference I see between the ones criticizing and the ones defending is that the ones criticizing do not accept this drop in quality songwriting as acceptible. Those who defend it will still admit that it is less of a song than past works but they somehow see this as OK.

Some people feek it is ok for U2 to not be as good anymore, and some feel it is unacceptable. Thats where the arguments seem to start.

I enjoy HTDAAB just as the original post said he did. I also see a lot of lazy songwriting choices. And I also feel that Levitate and Mercy and miles more interesting than ABOY and COBL and OOTS and MD...

Oh and in case anyone thinks otherwise, the previous statements are OPINION and not fact. They happen to be an opinion shared by many.

i love threads like this.
i also love the way CoBL makes me feel. it's a fun listen for my ears. i love larry's drumming, i LOVE adam's bassline. i love the build into the chorus. and when they're rocking it out live, i LOVE singing along the the chorus.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i whipe my ass with mercy

Well, of course you do. One should always be merciful to one's ass.

And I wasn't going to say anything, but since you've put it in your sig, Headache, you should correct the spelling of "wipe." :sexywink:

Because it's spelled w-i-p-e. And that is fact, not just my opinion.

:madspit:

:wink:

GibsonGirl said:

Is it really necessary to include "IN MY OPINION" before every single sentence?
OK, maybe they didn't teach you this at your school, but there's an easier way to say 'in my opinion'.

It's called I THINK.

So instead of
"Mercy is crap"
you write
"I think Mercy is crap"

See, only 2 words more, and it means so much. :wink:

If you want you can vary the words, like writing "I believe" instead of I think. :wink:

Actually, the songwriting is better on the past few records. Those who disagree tend to cherry pick a line here, or a line there, to support their position, while ignoring the duds that exist throughout their entire catalog.

Many people here still think U2 are producing really good music, even better than previous works. Look at the Zooropa/HTDAAB poll.

Back
Top Bottom