City Of Blinding Lights vs. Where The Streets Have No Name

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
Probably the biggest debate yet. Two great songs, that have a feel to them, they put an image in your head of another place, and they make you both feel special inside. So which one takes the cake? Which song has more power to it?

I'll leave my opinion out of this, for I am the creator.

But I will leave you with a question... where will City Of Blinding Lights fight in after the Vertigo tour, does it replace Where The Streets Have No Name?

streets beats it by a good margin......they are both top ten songs imo but streets is a solidified top 3 song while city barely cracks my top ten........they both have that extra "something" live but streets has the classic factor which city hasnt reached yet so streets gets the nod live.....both really awesome songs but i have to give it to streets

I agree that both are special, but Streets also has the advantage of being around longer and thus more classic. Although I don't doubt that a few years down the line, COBL will still be remembered. to me, Streets will always be THE definitive U2 song. that opening is all they need to melt my heart.

STREETS

A LIVE Streets still makes my hairs on the back of my neck stand up. CoBL is okay but my enjoyment of it has waned - even live.

I love COBL for special reasons, but I have to go with Streets, the first time I saw it live I thought I would need to be carried off on a stretcher. :drool:

Both great, I can't decide between one or another...
The oldest one brings you the desert feeling, the experience of a 25 year old man in a strange land and reality and sonically mixing with the folk music roots.
The most recent one has an opposite feeling. Despite having an opening-concert atmosphere and being uplifting too, the impression is different, it gives the impression of overflying an urban landscape and the lyrics reflects the coming back to youth of a 45 yr old man.

Have you people lost your minds??? How can you even pose such a ridiculous question??? I'm a huge fan of COBL, but c'mon, better than Streets??? Laughable. Downright laughable.

City of Blinding Lights. I've posted why a million times. It should follow a full-band version of "Please" on the next tour as well.

CITY OF BLINDING LIGHTS

if only to vote against the utter predictability and droning of the U2 fan community.

For me right now my vote is COBL. I'm just plain sick of WTSHNN right now. Its a great, great song but I can go without hearing it for a while.

City of Blinding Lights is Streets' somewhat ugly, troubled, poppy brother.

I love COBL live, but the album version just doesn't do it for me. While Streets is superb on the album and of course live.

not even close. Streets, even the watered down crappy version we were 'treated' to on the Vertigo tour.

WalkOnTheEdge said:
I'm a huge fan of COBL, but c'mon, better than Streets??? Laughable. Downright laughable.

LOL, I agree. There are just so many mind-blowing live performances of "Streets" (during JT, Lovetown, Zoo TV, etc) that it's just hard for me to compare the two. The Running to Stand Still transition into Streets (ala Zoo TV) just seals the deal for me. Absolute perfection.

You've got to be kidding me. There's no debate here. It's Streets every time.

CoBL suffers from a mediocre bridge, but even aside from that, Streets brings such an amazing energy live. CoBL is so beautiful it makes you want to cry, but Streets is so uplifting and exciting it makes you want to jump in the air and run around and shout at the top of your lungs. Streets all the way

LemonMacPhisto said:
City of Blinding Lights is Streets' somewhat ugly, troubled, poppy brother.

100% true :up:

LyricalDrug said:
Streets, hands down. Better live and on album. Not even close.

C'mon, don't over-think this one.

Finally, a string of posts that are bringing sensibility to this thread.

Shouldn't we just merge all these threads into one?

Miami vs New York
Unforgetable Fire vs Fire
40 vs Hawkmoon 269
Indian Summer Sky vs Bullet the Blue Sky
Elvis Presley and America vs Elvis Ate America

Efficiency folks, efficiency...:wink:

Thats probably the two hardest to choose from ... I have heard where the streets have no name too many times and I'm a bit bored of it, but everytime I hear it live I'm just blown away. So streets. Marginally!

Back
Top Bottom