City of Blinding Lights Live - My Write-up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SiW87

Acrobat
Wide Awake in the City Of Blinding Lights
Oh you look so beautiful tonight.

The third leg of the Vertigo Tour was the first tour and the first time I ever got to see U2 live – now with that said I hope that that does not diminish my credibility in this post. But I just wanted to mention to everyone, or at least make everyone aware, is that the shows I went to with the opening song as City of Blinding Lights are some of the greatest concert experiences of my life.

The opening of the concert with this song is a moment unlike any other. I mean when the lights come down for the first time, The Edge’s guitar going to work oh so very faintly (but just enough to make the hairs on your back stand up), with the keyboard in the background, and seeing U2 take the stage for the first time that night – its an experience that will stay with you as long as live. Then afterwards, The Edge blasts that opening note from the song as he gets into his routine – with the background lights flashing in coordination – it’s an almost surreal experience, and one that you just loose yourself in the moment and the energy.

Personally, I feel that this song is just as good as Where the Streets Have No Name or Bad are live. And a lot of people criticize this song because of the keyboard introduction/guitar rift sounding too much like Streets, but who gives a shit? The fact is it is an exceptional song and not something you want to go without.

Anyways, after the concert I took some of the advice of the people on this board to just relax and sleep in. Skipped my Financial Accounting class and work that day, and just took everything in – which I highly recommend doing. But I guess it just feels distressing because I know there will never be another tour exactly like this one: With the curtain lights falling down in the beginning of COBL, the beginning guitar with the song, Larry pounding away on his drums at the most perfect moment, with my college buddies next to me in GA outside of the ellipse nearly in tears as COBL is kicking into gear while starting the concert, and after waiting for months and months to since they announced the tour (Back in February? 2005) to finally see the guys.

Anyways, no particular point to my post, but I guess what I’m trying to say to you guys who haven’t seen this tour yet but who are going to in the future is this – enjoy it. Enjoy the opening as much as you can because it comes and goes real fast. The energy turns on real fast as soon as the lights hit Bono and you see him for the first time on the front of the ellipse.

Thanks for reading and I know that some of you enjoyed the opening of the concert after waiting for them for months and months can agree that they will probably never be another experience like the opening of a U2 concert with City of Blinding Lights. And I’m going to miss it.

I want to close by saying this:

A lot of people I know consider Streets to be the absolute peak of a U2 concert. One song is never enough. I remember a lot time ago when the first show happened in San Diego that people said City of Blinding Lights was going to be the “next Streets.”

I think it already has.

I agree... seeing this song live is worth the price of admission alone. They will b hard-pressed 2 find a better opener... it's pure magic.

On the next tour, I'd like 2 see them play "Please" and segue into "COBL".... I think it would b amazing.

City of Blinding Lights is the best U2 song since Lemon, IMHO.

The Disciple said:
I agree... seeing this song live is worth the price of admission alone. They will b hard-pressed 2 find a better opener... it's pure magic.

On the next tour, I'd like 2 see them play "Please" and segue into "COBL".... I think it would b amazing.

someone mixed the two, have a listen :

http://s64.ysi.com/d.aspx?id=3JOP7690J9ZJV2Q0VDUJ2O7Q6Q

I saw U2 perform this song at the Brooklyn Bridge concert with the backdrop of two bridges and Lower Manhattan all lit up. Nothing will ever top that...you can't design a backdrop more beautiful than that. And for this reason, COBL will always be special to me.

Back
Top Bottom