City of Blinding Lights appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love the COBL. Song is in my top 10 of U2 songs easily. As the opener is was just :drool: and I hope they play it again on the next tour. It was the athem for me during the Vertigo tour that took me to Chicago and Monterrey to see U2.

And to top it off, COBL came from the Pop sessions. Too cool :wink:

Saw several shows on this past tour, and COBL was the best opening song. As soon as you hear the Edge start, see Bono do his statue thing and reach for the falling confetti, you know its party time.:drool:

The 1st time i heard that song, i burst into tears 'cos it was so beautiful :love:

No doubt, I must concur.

I liked it when I first started listening to the album and I simply grew to love it after seeing it live. They played Love and Peace on the first night I saw them and City was like fifth or sixth. The next night (when I was in the elipse) they opened with City and it was FANTASTIC!

Ranks right up there with the Zoostation opener from ZooTV!

:bow:

They will have to work very hard 2 find a better opener.... this was absolutely magical.... I'll never 4get being right outside of the ellipse in the Tampa show...

On the next tour, I'd like them to play "Please", kind of like where it was played on the PopMart tour, and segue into "COBL".... that would b freakin' amazing!

Yeah, a better opener is almost impossible, totally agree!!!!... thsoe first chords.. AHHHHH. Chills running through my spine every thime I listen to it!! The heart beating too fast, the everyone!! :lol: I remember when U2 got onstage I yelled, at the top of my lungs "fuck!!!" (and in English, yea ;) ) :p... Luckily the noise was too loud for anyone around to listen :shifty: :laugh:

It's just... it's perfection, the keyboards... Just starting a gig with the lines "Oh you look so beautiful tonight in the city of blinding lights" is itself perfect, plus the music... WONDERFUL :)

The first time I heard the Top of the Pops version in October 2004 I thought "Yes...this is the U2 I missed for a very long time". And still, it's a new classic to me, even though it has a cheesy piano intro that I'm used to now and maybe even love.

Besides the complains about the production, I just wanna hear some GOOD reasons why people don't enjoy this song the way I do!

I actually love the piano intro, I don't think it's cheezy at all. I really can't think of anything negative about this song. I can only think of one tiny complaint and that it right before the second "oooo" part, I always wished they would add a few beats in there so Bono could stop singing and he isn't saying "ground" and "ooo" at the same time. Other than that, it's perfect :drool:

One of my favorite songs and the best opening to any show I've ever been to :drool: As cheesy as it sounds, I agree with everyone's description of it as "magical" :love:

was I supposed to be at the concert to understand this song? Cuz I seriously don't get the hysteria surrounding it.

Not supposed to, but IMO, I mean when you are there in the show and it is opening, it is magical... it made the song very special to me, but there are no requirements for its enjoyment!! :)

don't like this song at all awful production, awful chorus, but thats just me:wink:
I'm glad other people like it

ozeeko said:
was I supposed to be at the concert to understand this song? Cuz I seriously don't get the hysteria surrounding it.

I saw my 1st U2 concert on this tour and the moment was truly ethereal. The slow piano, the courtains coming down, the confetti. It was like the beginning of a beautiful event. It made it that much more specil for me.

Amazing.

COBL will always be special for me because I was fortunate enough to be at the video shoot in Vancouver. When I hear it live it instantly takes me back to that day at GM Place where the band played COBL 5 or 6 times(can't remember) and then treated us to a mini concert(Vertigo, ABOY, SYCMIOYO) with full light show. It was an amazing experience. I understand the comparison to Streets but haveing said that I feel compareing it to Streets is impossible. COBL is not in the same league as Streets but like I said I do understand the comparison. I think it's a great song that got shafted as far as being a single goes. It never got the airplay it desereved. This song can't fully be appreciated untill you see/hear it live. In fact the whole Atomic Bomb album is that way, it's much better live.

Back
Top Bottom