City Of Blinding Lights: Any Love Left?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2girl said:
When I listened to the album for the first time, I expected COBL to blow me away because so many here raved about it. My initial reaction was that it was copying Streets.

BUT, it has grown on me, and it is one of HTDAAB's strongest songs - I don't know that it would make it into my top 10. The only thing I could miss is the "ooooh oooooh" before the chorus.

I'm beginning to think HTDAAB has three potential classic songs: Sometimes, Original of the species and City of blinding lights.

I have yet to see where they fit in my top 10 U2 songs...

U2girl said:

I'm beginning to think HTDAAB has three potential classic songs: Sometimes, Original of the species and City of blinding lights.

I have yet to see where they fit in my top 10 U2 songs...

If you add to the definition of classic as "popularly loved and well recognized songs" I think Vertigo will go down as a classic, as well.

rjhbonovox said:

Yeah I hated that line from the first time I heard it, and it really winds me up when he sings it 3 times in a row near the end.

I highly recommend you stop listening to HTDAAB or bother replying to these threads. Because of listening to what I consider the best song on the album "winds you up", clearly you need to stop torturing yourself.

God bless!

doctorwho said:

I highly recommend you stop listening to HTDAAB or bother replying to these threads. Because of listening to what I consider the best song on the album "winds you up", clearly you need to stop torturing yourself.

God bless!

I have stopped listening to HTDAAB, and have been playing the quality stuff. Hope your happy with that!:wink:

LOTS & LOTS OF LOVE

Well, I didn't even start to get to reading the album thread until less than a week ago, but if I had been, jicky, I would have been a 'gusher' then.

And....I still am :heart: :dance: :heart:

ok....why?
It's not easy for me to get sound at the one of three places I use Net facilities. So I hadn't heard anything till the K-ROCK listening party, where I taped SYCMIOYO, ABOY, MD, COBL & OOS which is the order they played them in.
Since that day that has been the only tape [other than the one with Vertigo & Elevation dance mix on it] I've played at home or on the street. SO I've heard all those songs since 11/21 around 100x's or so...with OOS & SYCM getting less play that the other three.

Besides certain political lyriced songs of u2, my favorite type songs in sonic and, much more often than not the lyrics will match the sonics- {unlike, say, Elton John where you're bopping away and suddenly here lyrics like "love lies bleeding.."} in about 4 or so major different ways:<sending will con't>

+uplifting, anthemic, amospheric> joyous, elation, can shade into magical/mystical
+intense, firery, sonic> anguish, anger
+firey,hot> love/sexual
+more amospheric, mystical> love/sexaul

I was floored on hearing COBL...with no real drop in passion for this piece since then.

Now, I juuuussst got the album tonight :hyper: , so I still only know abit of the lyrics to the aforementioned songs i taped. I WILL be suprised [and floored again] should something there be more [in my opening catagory] joyous, uplifting & magical/ mystical on this album than COBL.

COBL will definatly end up in my top 10 U2 songs, maybe even top 5 [haven't yet figurered the HTDAAB songs into the 10 or 5 since i still haven't heard half the album], and might replace one of my other all-time fav u2 songs among my all-time fav rock & roll songs. And since I'm on the further end of this site's demographic in years --I've heard a whole lot of rock over the decades, and have a few bands that I was/am as passionate about before u2 came around. ANd I do try to keep up with rock etc music, as well.

See Streets was never one of my U2 top 5, maybe not even my top10 [maybe top 20]. I found [admitly to to music chargrin, I was kinda bored with it by 2001 tour<hides>. But I still love the street performance video. That's a Superclassic!

SO without HTDAAB figured in my 5 fave are [no order]:

Three Sunrises
Even Better Than The Real Thing
In God's Country
I Threw A Brick
Acrobat

next five 6-10 would be [no order]
Deep In The Heart
I Will Follow
Drowning Man
Gloria
Walk On {the revised Halle, halle, halleluhia version}

some song [maybe 2] be squeezed out when i factor HTDAAB in. :lol:

Last edited:
COBL sounds like an U2 cover band trying to do an "U2 kinda song" of their own to present as a demo record. The mix is atrocius.

COBL is definately a great song that will even sound better live. But I don't understand all you people rating it as one of your best songs of all time. You need to give it at least a couple years or so before you know how it rates. Just live in the moment enjoy the music for what its worth!!!
PS. At first when I heard vertigo I wasn't impressed. Same for when I heard beautiful day. But now beautiful day is one of my favourite U2 songs of all time, and surely vertigo is becoming a favourite on the album. But you know their music is spiritual for me every time I hear their songs I learn something different , feel something a little different. So after hearing their songs over and over again they begin to take on new meaning. So give it time. There is noway you can rate their new album until years down the road!. Don't overplay their music as I am sometimes guilty of doing. Play some of their older stuff too. Funnythough, their song "one" wasn't in my top 5 on Actung album but after my 18 month old daughter took a liking to it and even singing some of the words to it, it has surely become one of my favourite songs of all time. Like I said,
"You give me something I can feeeeeeeeeeeeeel......."

jick said:
A few weeks ago before the album came out and a bootlegged version of City Of Blinding Lights emerged, everyone was quick to jump over it.

"A U2 epic right up there with Streets."

"Definitely among my top three U2 songs of all time."

"So beautiful I didn't think U2 still could write a song such as this."

I like the song, and it is still one of my favorites on the album, but I honestly don't get all these comments about it being as "epic" as WTSHNN. I never agreed. But I can still like the song for what it is.

Melon

Peope, please stop rating the music with their past stuff cause it is unfair to do so, just like Bono when he said in an interview he thought this maybe their best work yet. That was unfair for him to do so because it shouldn't be compared to any of their other music. Their music is artistic and spiritual so why do all this comparing and rating. Just enjoy and soak it up. I agree this album is very good because I have heard it about 40 times and still not sick of any song. Vertigo has grown on me just like beautiful day did. Just enjoy it!

I can feel your love teaching me how
Your love is teaching me how, how to kneel.....kneeeeeeeel....

COBL is the worst thing off this wonderful album (HTDAAB is a great album to me).
Probably it's the mixing that's flat but to me lacks of power: this is supposed to be a "stadium anthem" but with drums' volume so low in the mixing definitely fall short in its attempt (and it's a a real shame cause as live rendition showed this song had a great potential)...i hope in a good official live album (official bootleg?) to make justice

streets was such a great way to start the joshua tree tour, but COBL is gaining ground fast. Does anybody know exactly which Elevation New York City show Bono was referring to on Vh1's all access special when he said COBL was inspired by that night. Was it 10/24, 10/25, or 10/27/01?

it was 10-24-01

Comments: U2's first show in NY since the Sept. 11 attacks is filled with tributes to the city. Bono brings fans on stage three different times - during 'Stuck' a male fan helps sing the song; a female fan plays and sings during 'Knockin' on Heaven's Door'; and a girl gets on stage during 'New York' and is carried by Bono. During 'One', video screens show the names of hijack victims, and a list of NYPD and FDNY personnel who died in the rescue is added. An MLK video shows during 'Pride,' a la Zoo TV.

I think it's better than anything off of All That You Can't Leave Behind for sure. And it's in my top three off of The Bomb. As for Mercy, I don't get why it gets so much attention. It's decent at best.

top for me for sure! the live version of the songs has moved it up the charts even more! true U2 classic!

the tourist said:
I think it's better than anything off of All That You Can't Leave Behind for sure. And it's in my top three off of The Bomb. As for Mercy, I don't get why it gets so much attention. It's decent at best.

agreed.

I liked it the first time around, when I heard it on CD:UK I think... but it just didn't resonate with me on the album, and now it's just kind of "blah". I always cringe when I hear "Oh! You! Look!, etc." because... it just sounds annoying to me. Maybe in a stadium, but not on an album.

Well I didn't think much of COBL the first time I listened to it - I still don't think much of it. The song is incredibly repetitive, the production concept (sounds used, mix, etc) atrocious - unbelievable for Flood. My least favourite off this album together with Miracle Drug. In sum - boring and IMO nowhere near the likes of Streets or Bad.

COBL=overcooked.

Production, chorus, harmonies during the chorus, I don't know if that's Edge singing or not, but it's terrible. Real high pitched, near-falsetto. The song seems to have a lot of potential, and it sounds much better live. I think the song just doesn't have much of an identity. It's like U2 jukebox. Has the typical elements that might make a great U2 song, it just isn't. I can only blame this on the recording process, that it just got overcooked.

Had this song been hashed out for POP, I think it would have been classic. Meaning when the song had some freshness, and potentially a much better chorus, less repetitive. Seems to be a thread throughout HTDAAB, that they might have just spent too much time recording the damn thing.

I like HTDAAB, I think it's good, but I think it could have been soooo much better. I can even hear it in the songs that didn't make the cut. It was there, whatever magic it is, it just wasn't realized.

I think Mercy, Smile, Xanax and Wine, and Native Son are fantastic. Pretty sure I am probably in the minority, but that's more of what I wanted to make it to the album. I probably would have really really liked Chris Thomas- version, rather than just thinking HTDAAB is good. I think U2 are cpapable of being much better than good.

And if you love HTDAAB and think it's the best thing since sliced bread, that's great, I wish I did. Believe me. I just think it's an extension of ATYCLB, but legitmately much better.

COBL is my 2nd song of HTDAAB (1st is MD, I also love SYCMIOYO, CFYT and Yahweh) but I don't think it can handle with Streets/Bad. This song could have been in Joshua Tree, but I still prefer songs like One Tree Hill or Red Hill Mining Town. But it's a great song. I did not imagine a piano/guitar intro better than New Year's Day but here it is. :drool:

even more love than I had for it before, and it was already my favourite song off the Bomb

and that's after hearing it performed live 8 times over 3 three days

it just kept getting better and better

amazing song

I made a U2 Top 10 playlist on my Ipod and City of Blinding Lights made the cut. The 1st time I heard the song I fell in love with it. I love Adam and Larry on it, Bono sounds perfect, lyrics are solid, and Edge's slide is to die for. I want to shed a tear everytime I hear the Edge play. I hope its a big hit for U2.

Back
Top Bottom