City Of Blinding Lights - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2004, 07:50 AM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 10:12 PM
City Of Blinding Lights

Please your opinion about that song! (No requests for mp3's or something else!

City Of Blinding Lights is a fantastic song! It reminds me Of JT and UF which is a very good sign! The chorus is beautiful and Bono's voice sounds amazing!

What do you think of it?

Old 10-18-2004, 07:55 AM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 04:12 PM
Awesome, just Awesome!

Great song, reminicent of JT or UF, but very unique sounding aswell, I love the middel part, hard to describe though, sounds like the guitar part in reverse, twice....? Bono's singing tonight..something something, lol!!!!

Old 10-18-2004, 08:27 AM   #3
Refugee

It reminds me of Ultraviolet, which is a favorite- so I think its great. the more i listen to the more i like it.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:30 AM   #4
The Fly

Local Time: 09:12 PM
I like it, but don't love it. I think it's getting a little overrated. I think (hope) it will end up being rated about a middle of the road song on an excellent album - akin maybe to Wild Horses on Achtung Baby.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:49 AM   #5
War Child

i think it's beautiful. bono sounds amazing on it, and when i think about the context of the song i actually get shivers. it's that powerful.
Old 10-18-2004, 09:04 AM   #6
Refugee

I love ABOY much more than COBL.

COBL is getting really overrated. It reminds me of Morning Child and of course Who's Gonna Ride but i miss the dynamics and changes of WGRYWH. And the chorus sounds too simple...

It's all perfect in terms of voice, instruments, but it misses something in my opinion...
Old 10-18-2004, 09:07 AM   #7
The Fly

I think we have to hear the entire song since the version we heard it shorter than the album version. However, I really like the song but don't love it. The lyrics are very good but the chorus really doesn't stand out.
Old 10-18-2004, 09:12 AM   #8
Refugee

Local Time: 06:12 PM
Hola amigos

So far, this is my favourite HTDAAB song ( between Vertigo, All Because Of You and this one ). Is well produced, and you clearly notice Steve Lillywhite is there, since the overal balance remains me "Boy" times. The intro, with that I Will Follow guitar style and piano is amazing. Also the drums are great. The rest of the song remains me Who´s Gonna Ride...
I think during the lines Bono found the right way to sing with his new dimished range. He doesn´t have to straigh his voice, reaching horrible higher notes I think singing in this style is better than he did on Electrical Storm, for example.

Great song

My rating ?

9/10

Old 10-18-2004, 09:13 AM   #9
War Child

This song is a U2 instant classic LOVE IT
Old 10-18-2004, 10:04 AM   #10
The Fly

I'm fallen in love with this song. I think it's about two lovers, the man is an ugly guy whose girlfriend is good looking and he thanks her because she has seen his real beauty inside of him. At least that's what the song says.

"You've seen the beauty inside of me
What happened to the beauty I had inside of me..."

Apart of the lyrics I love the piano stuff and the bass lines and the "ohhhh" they remind me of "Bad" and I don't know why.

I think it'll become a classic U2 song
Old 10-18-2004, 10:25 AM   #11
Refugee

Local Time: 05:12 AM
We've had so many threads on this overrated song already. Perhaps the mods can merge this with other threads or close this thread. Just a suggestion.

Cheers,

J
Old 10-18-2004, 10:27 AM   #12
Refugee

Local Time: 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by jick
We've had so many threads on this overrated song already. Perhaps the mods can merge this with other threads or close this thread. Just a suggestion.

Cheers,

J
we've had enough of your bashing, please just give it up.. we liked Vertigo, we like ABOY, we like COBL, much to your chagrin
Old 10-18-2004, 10:31 AM   #13
roy
Refugee

I think it's one of the best pop songs they've ever done.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:51 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:12 PM
i fell in love the first time i heard it. it's a beautiful song. can't wait to hear the studio version.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:56 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

I REALLY love it. I liked it WAY more after the first listen than I liked Vertigo after the first listen.

Does anyone have the lyrics?
Old 10-18-2004, 11:44 AM   #16
War Child

For me, there hasn't been anything that has an urgency to since Please, maybe Acrobat. It aches.

Urgent is the only adjective that keeps coming to my head. Does this make any sense to anyone else?
Old 10-18-2004, 11:59 AM   #17
Babyface

I love it. Edge's guitar reminds me of some of his best moments, the whole song has a great atmosphere and Bono's voice sound more intense than ever. I think it will soon become a classic
Old 10-18-2004, 12:00 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I really don't know how anyone can get excited over these clips or claim that these songs are the grestest thing.

I downloaded this song, but it was so poor in quality that after one listen I said "ENOUGH". I am now going to hold out until the album, or until real quality mp3's are available on the internet.

This song has great potential, but I just couldn't hear enough to give a honest opinion. The only part I really liked the was the ending. There were just too many cut outs and the low bass kept muffling every other sound.

I'm very excited for this album, and a few of these clips have helped add fuel to the fire, but I can't get as excited or make any claims....yet.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:04 PM   #19
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by BEAL
I really don't know how anyone can get excited over these clips or claim that these songs are the grestest thing.

I downloaded this song, but it was so poor in quality that after one listen I said "ENOUGH". I am now going to hold out until the album, or until real quality mp3's are available on the internet.

This song has great potential, but I just couldn't hear enough to give a honest opinion. The only part I really liked the was the ending. There were just too many cut outs and the low bass kept muffling every other sound.

I'm very excited for this album, and a few of these clips have helped add fuel to the fire, but I can't get as excited or make any claims....yet.
umm, have you heard the new bootlegs which are 39 minutes long? (2 mp3s, one is the rehearsals, 16 minutes, and the real performance which is 23 minutes)
Old 10-18-2004, 12:35 PM   #20
War Child

I liked all the three clips (V, COBL, ABOY) but I don't think it will the best tracks of the album.
I put all my money on: SYCMIOYO and Miracle Drug and maybe One Step Closer or Original Of The Species.