Chris Martin's Rolling Stone Article

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gherman

New Yorker
Just re-visiting Chris Martin's older article about U2. The funniest part is the guys comments at the end:laugh:

The Immortals - The Greatest Artists of All Time: 22) U2
By Chris Martin
Posted Apr 15, 2004 12:00 AM

I don't buy weekend tickets to Ireland and hang out in front of their gates, but U2 are the only band whose entire catalog I know by heart. The first song on The Unforgettable Fire, "A Sort of Homecoming," I know backward and forward -- it's so rousing, brilliant and beautiful. It's one of the first songs I played to my unborn baby.
The first U2 album I ever heard was Achtung Baby. It was 1991, and I was fourteen years old. Before that, I didn't even know what albums were. From that point, I worked backward -- every six months, I'd get to buy a new U2 album. The sound they pioneered -- the driving bass and drums underneath and those ethereal, effects-laden guitar tracks floating out from above -- was nothing that had been heard before. They may be the only good anthemic rock band ever. Certainly they're the best.

What I love most about U2 is that the band is more important than any of their songs or albums. I love that they're best mates and have an integral role in one another's lives as friends. I love the way that they're not interchangeable -- if Larry Mullen Jr. wants to go scuba diving for a week, the rest of the band can't do a thing. U2 -- like Coldplay -- maintain that all songs that appear on their albums are credited to the band. And they are the only band that's been around for twenty years with no member changes and no big splits.

It's amazing that the biggest band in the world has so much integrity and passion in their music. Our society is thoroughly screwed, fame is a ridiculous waste of time, and celebrity culture is disgusting. There are only a few people around brave enough to talk out against it, who use their fame in a good way. And every time I try, I feel like an idiot, because I see Bono actually getting things achieved. While everyone else is swearing at George Bush, Bono is the one who rubs Bush's back and gets a billion dollars for Africa. People can be so cynical -- they don't like do-gooders -- but Bono's attitude is, "I don't care what anybody thinks, I'm going to speak out." He's accomplished so much with Greenpeace, in Sarajevo, at the concert to shut down the Sellafield nuclear plant, and he still runs the gantlet. When the time came for Coldplay to think about fair trade, we took his lead to speak out regardless of what anyone may think. That's what we've learned from U2: You have to be brave enough to be yourself.

[From Issue 946 — April 15, 2004]

Comments:
Coldplaysucks | May 16, 2008 12:44 PM EST
ha! U2 sucks almost as much as coldplay. Dont get me wrong, way to go Bono on being a philanthropist, but this "award" is suppossed to be for greatest artist, and all chris martin does is jog bono's n#tz for a good 500 words about darfur and farm aid...sweet...lets hear about how one of U2s songs changed the world or had an influence instead of just ending up on my mom's ipod. And he doesnt even mention The Edge...dont get me started on that beanie wearing douche...get a real f-ing name. It took everything I had not to light my computer on fire and throw up on my rolodex as I read this bullsh*t

Just good for a laugh:wave:

why does this nimrod keep popping up in this forum. He's an average songwriter at best, and at worst he sings like a eunuch. Coldplay's only as good as their next chord change, and i'm sorry to say they've hit a brick wall with interesting chord changes after "Clocks" was released. Coldplay is viewed as a great band only when compared to the rest of the mainstream shit that's been polluting the airwaves for the past 7 years. They are a lighter shade of shit. The End. Blow me, Chris Martin.

why does this nimrod keep popping up in this forum. He's an average songwriter at best, and at worst he sings like a eunuch. Coldplay's only as good as their next chord change, and i'm sorry to say they've hit a brick wall with interesting chord changes after "Clocks" was released. Coldplay is viewed as a great band only when compared to the rest of the mainstream shit that's been polluting the airwaves for the past 7 years. They are a lighter shade of shit. The End. Blow me, Chris Martin.

:lmao: :lmao:

Nicely put!

I don't know which is weirder: Chris Martin's obsession with U2 or U2 fans' obsession with Chris Martin.

Actually, I do know which is weirder.

:( I like Chris Martin. Why do we find the need to bash a fellow U2 fan? I guarantee you he has more musical talent than most on this forum.

What's an atricle? Is it like the auricles and ventricles in our heart? (Can't believe I remembered that from like 9th grade biology)

I believe Chris is a genuinely good guy with a big heart who wants to make a difference. He gets stick he just doesn't deserve. Coldplay are great musicians and the new album is terrific.

Back
Top Bottom