Chills...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ouizy

Rock n' Roll Doggie
There are few moments when I get chills from either hearing a live U2 song in concert, or of a boot/mp3 from the Elevation Tour. Here are some of mine, I would love to hear some of yours:

1. The moment when Sgt. Peppers begins - as the crowd knows it is the last pre-song

2. The moment as Sgt. Peppers is in its last bars (knowing the band is waiting in the tunnel about to come out in broad daylight)

3. Hearing the Edge play the first couple of chords of In God's Country acoustically the first night they played it, and when the audience realizes what he is playing...

4. The first notes of the intro music to Bad.

5. The first notes of the intro to Streets

6. The first 8 notes the Edge plays in Pride.

7. The first 4 bars Larry plays of Sunday

8. In a Little While - the verse "A man dreams one day to fly, a man takes a rocketship into the sky" - my girlfriend started to cry at each show we went to at that exact moment.

9. At the beginning of the encore anticipating the first riff of Bullet

10. The Halleulah's at the end of Walk On

I know this is a pretty banal post, but I just cannot get over the fact the tour is over and am thinking back to how amazing the band sounded last year. thanks to MP3's I do not have to forget these moments...

great post!

All the ones you mentioned...

plus....the opening chords to One. Sends me into tears at every live show I've been at.

Ditto, to all of those! I just got chills reading your list and thinking about them live again....

smile.gif

------------------
I've been walking Central Park
Singing after dark
People think I'm crazy

[This message has been edited by ~LadyLemon~ (edited 01-18-2002).]

Originally posted by ouizy:

The first notes of the Influx mix even now send me up!

And the Halleujahs at the end of Walk On are sublime. There are really no words to describe them and their effect on me.

------------------
They say that magic and the science world collide
Oh, but Einstein saw me lookin' at her and he joined my side

Jonathan Richman
"A Higher Power"

I was at the 10/27 NYC show and a friend got me a copy of the bootleg from that night. There is a point in Walk On when the band brought a bunch of NYPD and FDNY guys up and you can hear the crowd starting cheering really loud when those guys came on stage. Pushed me to tears it was so moving.

Ditto for me on:

- as Sgt Pepper's is ending and Elevation begins.

- the second the bandmembers begin their entrances.

- the millisecond I see Bono (my absolute hero)

- the moment Bono starts singing

- the opening chords of Bad

- all of One (gets me everytime)

- Hallelujahs at end of Walk On

*sigh*

I am having Elevation Anxiety.

all of the ones you mentioned are on my list- especially Sgt. Peppers and the Elevation influx mix... just gets me going! (it's great work out music, let me tell you!)

here are a some more of my favorite "chill-inducing" moments:

- In the middle of Beautiful Day, when Bono screams "Do you... believe in ME?!?" and then edge's guitar rips in and the houselights go out. truly awesome!

- the opening to UTEOTW, with Bono saying "Jesus, this is Judas" (or something along those lines), and then the guitar/bass/drums right after that. (sometimes bono raps during this part.)

- During "Kite": "I'm a MAAAAAAAAAANNNNN!"

- the middle of SBS, when Bono yells "We're so sick of it!"

- and one of my favorites, right after the 'slow' part of Out of Control, when Bono sings "it was out of controoooooooollllllll" and then just fires into the last verse. when listening to that part on bootlegs i can almost *feel* the crowd in the heart going nuts!

ah, this tour was so amazing... i'm thankful that we can relive it through the boots!

i agree with all of you - plus one more:
sharky i was at that concert and the NJ concert, and please blew me away:

"september...streets capsizing"

*gets chills thinking about it and the sound that bruce made on that piano

Ahhh Ally, I forgot those, especially "Do you ...Believe in ME" but I think that is from Elevation - wait yes I am listening to it right now - yes it is Elevation.

And zoomerang - Please from NJ almost made me fall out of my nosebleed seats...

on the 10/30 providence boot in bad when bono asks the little girl what her name is.......brings me right back to that show
~l

I agree that it's so great to have the MP3's (and the DVD too) to re-live the Elevation experience. I totally agree with your chill factors above. The one that always gets me also is during I Will Follow when Bono goes nuts. I'm talking about the part towards the end of the song, right after Bono sings "your eyes" . . . On the DVD the sweat is flying, the music is really rocking and the crowd is really getting pumped up. Oh I just love it!

On the Boston 4 bootleg...when they're doing Out of Control. At the bridge, Bono says...

"I think this tune was written on this guitar. This guitar has gone...a long way! This guitar has been carried...a long way! And you people have carried us...a long way! And this CITY has carried us...a long way!"

Then the "out of controllllll" and back into the song...the crowd going bananas.

eek.gif
brings back memories of pogo-ing with joy in the heart right in front of Edge.
biggrin.gif

-sula

just thought of another moment:

at the london 8/21 show (the day that bono's father died), during the opening chords of "Gone", bono screams out "BOB HEWSOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNN!"

*chills*

yes, and that reminds me of the New Jersey show...during BD when he starting singing about his new son.

"another souuuul, another souuuul in the world....John Abraham...beautiful boy"

Originally posted by *Ally*:

- In the middle of Beautiful Day, when Bono screams "Do you... believe in ME?!?" and then edge's guitar rips in and the houselights go out. truly awesome!

-

I think you mean Elevation!
smile.gif
And yeah, that kicks ass!

------------------
I've been walking Central Park
Singing after dark
People think I'm crazy

[This message has been edited by ~LadyLemon~ (edited 01-18-2002).]

OK, OK, you're all right- it IS from "Elevation"!! you'd think that after 13 shows i would have gotten that one right...
wink.gif

great lists from everyone. but for me i have to add the extra verse bono puts on kite when it is just him and his guitar. wow!

and anytime edge played guitar or sang or breathed or smiled or farted or played keyboards or walked or waved or messed up or etc., etc.

------------------
teach me love;
i know i'm not a hopeless case

speaking of Edge messing up, I just listened to my 10-24-01 MSG boot and at the end of Sunday Bloody Sunday when the band restarts the song I noticed the Edge's guitar had already been triggered to be tuned for the next song Stuck. He stops playing and the remainder of the song is just ass drums and vocals.

Even though it was a screw up - it sounds pretty cool.

Yay - this was my longest topic to date.

All I have to say is if the rumours are true and the band tours this summer after they lay down some more tracks, I cannot wait to see what they pull out of the closet to play (plus new songs of course...)

Lastly I am hooked on a certain MP3 of the band playing Zooropa live.

It is one of my favorite songs and it sounds incredible...

a great mess up by edge is during stay in buffalo 5/31/01. he hits a total wrong note and (if you have the video it's even funnier) bono turns around and gives him a smile and edge just shrugs his shoulders and keeps playing. classic moment. i will have to check out that sbs.

congrats on the long post ouizy
do i get something for breaking 200 posts?

Originally post by *Ally*

don't you mean elevation?

[This message has been edited by Lemonator (edited 01-18-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Lemonator (edited 01-18-2002).]

There are few moments when I get chills from either hearing a live U2 song in concert, or of a boot/mp3 from the Elevation Tour. Here are some of mine, I would love to hear some of yours:

1. The moment when Sgt. Peppers begins - as the crowd knows it is the last pre-song

2. The moment as Sgt. Peppers is in its last bars (knowing the band is waiting in the tunnel about to come out in broad daylight)

3. Hearing the Edge play the first couple of chords of In God's Country acoustically the first night they played it, and when the audience realizes what he is playing...

6. The first 8 notes the Edge plays in Pride.

8. In a Little While - the verse "A man dreams one day to fly, a man takes a rocketship into the sky" - my girlfriend started to cry at each show we went to at that exact moment.

9. At the beginning of the encore anticipating the first riff of Bullet

I know this is a pretty banal post, but I just cannot get over the fact the tour is over and am thinking back to how amazing the band sounded last year. thanks to MP3's I do not have to forget these moments...

All of those. And also Edge's solo during New Year's Day. The opening chords to I Will Follow always get me going too
biggrin.gif
It was also really special to hear Please live, especially after Sept. 11th.

But probably the most chill-inducing moment was when Bono and Edge started to play ISHFWILF acoustically at Chicago 4, after introducing it as "an obsure B-side". That was a pretty amazing moment.

And I don't think this is a banal post at all. I love reliving concert memories
smile.gif

My chilling moments include all the ones posted thus far, and one other I want to mention.

The beginning of "the Fly", when Bono sings in the lower key, "Love, we shine like a burning star, we're falling from the sky, toooniiiight.." , and right before Edge would drop those thunderous riffs, I would shout "Boom!" and the Edge would just rock out hard.

Oh, and also the Edge's Fly solo...my jaw dropped to the floor when I heard that first Miami version. It still gives me the chills.

AJ

man, there are so many!

* the first note to the Influx Mix. That first sitar note. Its like lighting a fuse and your just waiting......and your adrenaline is flying off the charts!

* i like Ally's "do you believe in...ME"

* When Edge is nailing his riff on UTEOTW and the strobes are going bezerk

* The first notes of Out of Control. It just builds and builds and you know its about to go off.

* How beautifully Edge sings on Stuck and In A Little While....ahhhhhhhhhhhh.

* when you first see the band on stage during the Influx Mix. Its heaven. After waiting all day in the sun or rain or cold, none of that mattered anymore!

* Streets - need i say more?

* Bono's rant with the falshlight during BTBS, epsecially on an emotionally charged night

* In Baltimore Edge was right in front of me and during UTEOTW he was rippin away and he just had his eyes closed and was biting hi sbottom lip and he was just lost......

* when Bono keeps repeating "goodbyeee, goodbye, goodbyeee" on Kite at the end in his hoarse voice. It sounds so emotional. It makes my heart sink almost!

* Taking moment and looking at the entire arena from the heart during Streets and realizing we are not the all same, but we are all ONE!

.....i could go on, but i think i'll end with that!

ps - of course Dallas Schoo soundchecking is right up on my list as well. The man can just play some great fucking guitar. Ok i wont get started on Dallas....*lol*

[This message has been edited by MikeSt (edited 01-23-2002).]

Originally posted by MikeSt:
man, there are so many!

* the first note to the Influx Mix. That first sitar note. Its like lighting a fuse and your just waiting......and your adrenaline is flying off the charts!

Aaaah! TOTALLY!

What else.. Uh, The Edge closing his eyes during "Bullet the Blue Sky". Oh. My. God.

Towards the end of "Beautiful Day", where Bono rants diff. stuff and says, "Goal, goal...the goal is soul..."

Another would be the first notes of "Mysterious Ways". So freakishly haunting...
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by dizzy (edited 01-24-2002).]

Originally posted by ~LadyLemon~:
Ditto, to all of those! I just got chills reading your list and thinking about them live again....

smile.gif

Hahaha.. Disgustingly so did I.. That's a weird power U2 has over us fans i guess.. ah memories

L.Unplugged

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom