Chicago vertigo dvd - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2005, 08:14 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 11:40 AM
Chicago vertigo dvd

Haven't brought it yet and just wondering everyones thoughts on it. I know it's been out for a while but I haven't seen much discussion around this forum on it.

So how does it compare to elevation boston or slane? Is it as good?

Old 12-20-2005, 08:18 PM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 12:40 PM
I think it is inferior to both Boston & Slane in terms of the actual show and directing, but in terms of songs it is a very good show.

I guess its worth picking up...I have the deluxe version because I'm a sucker but the extra disc is a total waste of time.

If you have the connection speed and time, you may be better off getting a good fan shot DVD such as Videodrug paris, which I thought was far superior to the official DVD.

Old 12-21-2005, 06:20 AM   #3
Acrobat

Local Time: 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by thelaj
I have the deluxe version because I'm a sucker but the extra disc is a total waste of time.
same here!
great show, but get the simple version.
deluxe edition wasnt worth the money.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:07 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:40 PM
I loved the deluxe version! Seeing Bono eating his Birthday cake was a real treat!! I personally think the show was fabulous! Of course it's different from the Boston and Slane shows but has it's own high lights e.g. love Bono bangging his drum! And grawling on the ground like a cat, the imagination flys...!!
Old 12-21-2005, 11:10 AM   #5
New Yorker

Local Time: 04:40 AM
I bought the deluxe edition because the cardboard case matches my other music DVDs better. I've never even put the second disc in a player.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:20 AM   #6
Refugee

Local Time: 06:40 AM
the majority of the reaction on this board seems to be negative, with most complaints directed at hamish hamilton's direction (LOTS of editing). no complaints about the music, however. so at the very least you can listen to it and basically you have a full live album from the tour (i wish we had an official live album from EVERY tour).
for my 2 cents, i think it's a great, fun watch. it's frantic at times, other times beautiful. the colors on the screen during zoo station are magnificent. and the electric co just rocks. i haven't seen the bonus disc - from the sound of it it's not worth it. overall i'd say it's very comparable to boston - this time they managed to leave all the snippets intact, not chopping the songs apart as they did with boston. i like that. the main reason to get it would be to see the HTDAAB songs live. if you're not a huge fan of these (or the electric co), then you can live without it. if you love miracle drug, cobl, lapoe, vertigo - well these are represented really well, and it's worth it.
the electric co was worth my price of admission.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:43 AM   #7
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by dudeman
the majority of the reaction on this board seems to be negative, with most complaints directed at hamish hamilton's direction (LOTS of editing).
I actually think it tends to be a very vocal minority who are the complainers--most people who've watched my chicago DVD who aren't even fans say it looks/sounds awesome.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:45 AM   #8
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by ImOuttaControl

I actually think it tends to be a very vocal minority who are the complainers--most people who've watched my chicago DVD who aren't even fans say it looks/sounds awesome.
i think you're absolutely right.
maybe those of us that like it need to be a bit louder. i rather like the video.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:48 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by typhoon
I bought the deluxe edition because the cardboard case matches my other music DVDs better. I've never even put the second disc in a player.
Me too!

I bought it because I didn't like the little whimpy plastic case the plain one came in. Plus why go half-assed on U2, better to have it than not have it.

I'd say it was a really fun DVD to watch. Streets is great, like always. Lots of Adam love for fans of him. An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart was a huge surprise for me, because I didn't expect to like that part. But it was amazing. As was The Electric Co. The ending was a little weak. I didn't really like the whole ABOY/Yahweh/40 thing at the real concert, and this wasn't much better even with Original towards the end. Zoo Station/The Fly however were awesome! (boston Fly is better though) Overall a really good DVD. Don't let the people who hate Hamish stop you from getting it. It was worth the money, in my opinion.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:56 PM   #10
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

If you check the general tour discussions forum you will see lots of discussion about this DVD.