Chicago-ins are so lost when it comes to U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kiki

New Yorker
mainly in my fantasy land.....ooooo how I wish it
Alright, let me clear this up first. I've been born and raised in Chicago and lived here all my life with the exception of 4 months, living in Dublin.
And I know that Chicago does have ALOT of loyal U2 fans out there, so please understand I am NOT talking about you!

A few weeks ago though we were driving somewhere and we had the radio on Q101. Fook--the DJ was hosting the March Music Madness at the time. It was U2 against NIN, the day before it had been the Sex Pistols vs. Green Day.

The day before these people called in bashing the Sex Pistols and all votes went to Green Day.

This particular day all the votes were going to NIN and people were calling in bashing U2. One guy in particular, and I'm QUOTING HIM, said "Bono's a whiney little bitch". I was pissed. I started yelling at the....well the radio in the car, and exactly what I said, the DJ said in return to the guy.

Anyway, it went on. Someone called in and bashed Trent Reznor then, another guy called in and said that U2's one and only and best album ever is Rattle and Hum, and a third person called in and said that there is absolutely NOTHING rock or alternative about U2.

The DJ was nearly dying. He was trying to get the point across that 1. the face off or whatever was about the MUSIC, not the individual members and what they do or don't do with their FREE time or time away from music.
2. You don't call in bashing someone just because someone else did.
3. Listen to something other than Rattle and Hum and you'll find they are in fact pretty alternative.

So...I was pissed. (doesnt take a lot these days....) I emailed the DJ and he emailed me back.
I told him my response to the people:

Stop critizing the individual artists and what they do outside of the music, it doesnt matter when the music is going against each other. There are better albums than Rattle and Hum, or at the very least, just as good---listen to the Joshua Tree. And for those who don't think U2 is alternative----pick up a copy of the DVD of the Zoo Tv tour, and THEN make your decision.

The DJ emailed me back and thanked me for emailing him, he said at least one person got the point the day before. He said the people that were calling in were really ticking him off. A week later he had to take a vacation!

I was wondering where U2 fit in with that March Madness thing. I can only stand Q101 for so long so I didn't bother to listen.

XRT is the better U2-friendly radio station anyway. :wink:

That's why I listen to the Mix, they love U2...hell they've got a billboard up of U2 to promote their station

Back
Top Bottom