Channel 4 Top 100 albums (this Sunday)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edge3

Refugee
This sunday (17th April - 10PM channel 4). Channel 4 in the UK are going to wittle down their top 125 albums to 100. Will Joshua Tree have made the cut? Bare in mind this is a critics list not the general public - It certainly merits a place in my humble opinion (at least top 50).

Jeez - yet another late nite watching a Top 100 by Channel 4! They will run out of topics soon, and it will be, 'Top 100 numbers, From 1 - 100':wink:

If it's critics choice, J.T has always been a favourite in the other top 50 or 100 polls. So let's hope!

i've already voted on the channel 4 website. the only U2 album nominated is the JT :mad:

can't believe AB isn't there as well. obv the JT got my vote but i had to choose 9 other ones as well by different artists, that's the way the voting worked

Aardvark747 said:
Jeez - yet another late nite watching a Top 100 by Channel 4! They will run out of topics soon, and it will be, 'Top 100 numbers, From 1 - 100':wink:

:lmao: Yeah they probly will as well

Also, yeah the Joshua Tree should deffo make it in there quite high. I'm surprised Achtung Baby isn't in there too though.

OK - I've just picked up the TV listings for this week and it says the top 100 albums have been voted by the public. Now I'm certain these and the initial 125 were voted by critics/industry people. But I would say that this now means that if Joshua Tree has made the top 100 then it will be in the top 30.

JT AND AB will be there, i'm sure of it. Tho I can see sth like Led Zep 1 or Beatles - 'Revolver' topping the poll...:yawn:
(Actually I dont mean that yawn in a bad way really! I love Led Zep 1...not too keen on 'Revolver' tho):shrug:

According to my tv guide, Ozzy Osbourne is one of the celebrities to give his opinions on some of the choices...."mumblemumblemumbleYeah that fuckin J-j-j-j-j-joshua album from U-u-u-u-2....fuckin amazing! Sh-sh-sh-sharon and me dont ever stop fuckin playin it! That song T-t-t-t-t-t-trip thru the fuckin wires or something - fuckin brilliant! The f-f-f-fuckin harmonica at the start - shit m-me and I thought I played it well back in the Sabbath days on 'The W-w-w-wizard'. And that B-B-B-BOBO, he's fuckin brilliant too!

JACK - T-T-T-TURN THAT FUCKIN SHITE TOOL OFF, AND W-W-WHACK ON THE J-J-J-JOSHUA TREE WILL U!!"
:wink:

Joshua Tree came 2nd to Radiohead's - Ok Computer.

It beat Thriller, Appetite For Desctruction, Sgt Pepper's-LHCB, Dark Side Of The Moon, Let It Maybe, Revolver, Nevermind,... :yes:

:rockon:

Wow 2nd is brilliant!! Some heavy competition. Beatles and Oasis overload.
I'm disappointed with the winner. If U2 could beat Nivana and Thriller, they could beat Radiohead!!
Bet it will boost the JT sales.

enajh2 said:

It beat Thriller, Appetite For Desctruction, Sgt Pepper's-LHCB, Dark Side Of The Moon, Let It Maybe, Revolver, Nevermind,... :yes:

OK Computer is amazing, but the best album?? interesting.

grbounds said:

OK Computer is amazing, but the best album?? interesting.

OK Computer is easily one of the top 5 albums of all time as is The Joshua Tree and The Bends. Achtung Baby is the finest album of all time and to omit it from the nominations just shows what assholes them at channel 4 are. The other album to make it in my top 5 is Jimi Hendrix and Are You Experienced?

enajh2 said:

:happy: Great result! And better than I expected. Shame AB wasn't shortlisted. If it was I think it would have made Top 20.

Anyway JT at #2 means that tonight I shall be dancing. :dance:

Last edited:
Another point about this is that the last time channel 4 had a 100 greatest albums they had Achtung Baby in at about 33 and The Joshua Tree was about 16 which means that U2 fans split the vote between the two. Its a load of bollox really cos what channel 4 are actually saying is choose your top albums of all times as long as you choose from a list of 125 that includes such shit as Happy Mondays, Dusty Springfield, The Libertines, Duran Duran......I mean would anybody on this forum consider The Happy Mondays as producing a top 50 album of all time and not only that the so called channel 4 critics are saying that the Happy Mondays album thrills is better than Achtung Baby. Nah the programs a load of bollox with a capital B!

Actually only 3 Beatles albums (Segeant Pepper, Revolver & White Album) were included. But I have to say this seems a bit biased 'cos I thought each artist was only given a maximum of 2 nominations. Can anyone explain?

Also Pet Sounds, London Calling, Never Mind The Bollocks, It takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back & Sign O' The Times were all horribly low.

Great for JT though.

OK Computer at #1?

FUCK YEAH! About time :yes:

And someone on the coverage was wearing a British Sea Power shirt, Andrew Morrison from 'Word' magazine or something. Woo! :dance: Give them a few years and BSP will be on the list themselves :yes:

Last edited:
Yeah...it's great JT was #2 but the question remains : why were The Beatles allowed 3 nominations?...and why weren't Marvin Gaye's 'What's Goin' On' & The Pixies 'Doolittle' higher up in the list?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom