Change Is Constant...Does That Have To Apply To U2 Songs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spanisheyes

Forum Moderator, The Goal Is Soul
Miami, New Orleans, London, Belfast, and Berlin
This question is something I've been pondering lately, especially since I've heard and watched the metamorphosis of 'Walk On' from the Elevation tour, to the Tribute to Heroes Telethon, and now the Grammy performance with the hallelujah chorus at the end. The changes have been so apparent, and moving, that it has even prompted U2's record company to release the newest version to the radio station the day after the Grammy ceremony. Never has a U2 song been re-released from changes wrought from live performances, until now.

I've thought back about other songs that U2 has transformed to another spiritual and emotional level live, including 'Bad', 'With or Without You', and 'One'...songs that Bono added snippets of other songs, or brand new lyrics from the emotional moments on stage when inspiration takes over, and moves him to add that much more to what we may see as perfection.

So, is there any songs that you've heard live that could have been re-released like 'Walk On' has, and still have kept its enduring quality, and in no way would have lessened perfection?

For me, it would have to be 'With or Without You' from Rattle and Hum, to have re-released that version with the...."Yeah, will shine like stars in the summer night, will shine like stars in the winter night...one heart, one hope, one love..." would have been mind blowing to hear on the radio, and have casual fans of U2 here the magic of that moment captured in a studio version, if that is even possible.

So, what would your choice be, and why?...plus it would be awesome to just hear each of your choices when U2 once again transcended perfection in the studio to live on stage.

Chris

I agree with you, Chris -- the "we shine like stars in the summer night, we shine like stars in the winter night" (or, I've also heard "we shine like stars in the summer night, we shine like stars in the Christmas night" on a bootleg
biggrin.gif
) is an absolute mindblowing version. For some reason, it just perfects it. It's a wonderful addition to the song, and just seems to complete it.

Edit: I just noticed.. is it "we will shine" or "we shine" OR just "will shine"?

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

[This message has been edited by elevatedmole (edited 03-01-2002).]

Definitely the Rattle & Hum version of With or Without You. I had that on tape, but wore it out and haven't been able to record it since. Carter Alan/Boston played it during a Zoo TV/WBCN 3-hour U2 marathon..."One" would also be one of my choices. I've heard several live versions of "40" which I love. I also love the live version of "Trying To Throw Your Arms".....remember the champagne toast? "You want a glass?", "WOW"! Another favorite of mine is Sunday, Bloody Sunday from Rattle and Hum. The meaning behind the words in his talking during that song, can ever so much, be applied to recent events here.......NO MORE! I believe, I could go on and on, if I continue to stoll down "U2" memory lane.....but must get back to work!

Originally posted by spanisheyes:
Never has a U2 song been re-released from changes wrought from live performances, until now.
Chris

i agree with you but didn't the re-recorded single version of last night on earth take the song a whole lot closer to the live version?

This post is too intelligent for me to respond to right now.

Back
Top Bottom