Chances of Electrical Storm being nominated for a Grammy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2sangel

War Child
21 Duke Street Dublin eating a gorgonzola sandwich
What chance do you think it has to be nominated for record or song of the year(or both). The Grammy deadline is the end of September so they would qualify.I was thinking this morning wouldn't it be cool if they were nominated and won record of the year again.(that would be three years in a row)anybody else?:heart:

Is 'E-Storm', on its own, good enough to be nominated? I'm not convinced, but it might be. Is it as good a song as, say, 'Walk On' or 'Beautiful Day'? Given that the Academy has already given U2 record of the year twice in a row, I'd say that in order for them to win it a third time, the song in question would actually have to be better than 'Beautiful Day' and 'Walk On'. Is 'E-Storm' a better song? I don't think so.

I would say that Electrical Storm has an outside chance to be nominated for record/song of the year. I think the song will get a lot of radio play, much like The Sweetest Thing got back in 1998-99. While I wouldn't count on Electrical Storm winning, because U2 has won the last 2 years, it all depends on what else gets nominated. I'm sure some song from J-Lo, N'Sync, and whoever will get nominated, a song from someone like DMB or Coldplay, and probably something along the lines of an experimental song, and then a rap/hip-hop song, probably Eminiem. Of course I feel that Electrical Storm is a solid song, I doubt even if it is one of the strongest nominated, that the Grammy's will vote U2 for a 3rd record/song of the year in a row. I'm keeping my fingers crossed though. ;)

You make a good point - Michael. Another way of looking at it is if ES did get nominated for record of the year and/or even song of the year it may win because its competition is weak. Will ES be eligible ? At this point ? what are some of the songs that have a good chance of being nominated ? How about the scenario of ES (Single Version) winning Best Rock Song or Performance ? That could be 3 years in a row ? BD / Elevation / ES ! And the icing on the cake ? winning the Academy Award for Best Song with The Hands That Built America from Gangs Of New York !

You all make good points!I can see them winning best rock song.I think Bruces "The Rising"will be nominated for sure as song/record of the year. The others I don't have a clue!I would love to see u2 win record of the year three times running though,just because!!:)

I hope they don't get a nomination. :reject:

I think a lot of people feel that U2 have dominated the Grammys the past two years. If they get a lot of recognition for a third year, I think non-U2 fans will begin to question U2's legitimacy. The Grammys favor safe artists, I don't want U2's music to be branded as safe. I'd sooner seem them go unrecognized for Electrical Storm and then pick up nominations with the new (hopefully fabulous) album next year.

I'd much rather see them win the Oscar for "Hands" rather than win the Grammy for ES.

I'd like some variety in the trophy case!

:D

Honestly I think the "The Rising" is gonna sweep.....Truely the best album of 2002.

If ES is nominated, it will have a tough time against Bruce.

But I think it would be cool to see them win an Oscar. The only thing that might prevent that would be if Celine Dion sings some sappy whinny song for another lame movie this winter ;)

daisybean said:
Honestly I think the "The Rising" is gonna sweep.....Truely the best album of 2002.

That's what I thought...until I got the new Coldplay album. Bruce will win because he's old and he's been around the block more times than an ice-cream truck, but in pure music sense, Coldplay's album A Rush of Blood to the Head is superior and melodically beautiful. I love this thing.
:heart:

I think ES could have a shot for a Grammy if more than one of the songs from The Rising gets nominated for Record of the Year/Song of the Year. That would split the vote and give it to U2 (or someone else, for that matter).

In a way I think it would be cool to see U2 win again, but it won't be a big deal to me if they don't. What would really be great is if they win the Oscar for "The Hands That Built America" - it's just about the only hardware they don't have yet!

In a way I think it would be cool to see U2 win again, but it won't be a big deal to me if they don't. What would really be great is if they win the Oscar for "The Hands That Built America" - it's just about the only hardware they don't have yet!

They've never won a Billboard award....oh, you probably meant awards that MATTERED. Never mind.

Back
Top Bottom