can't we all just get along? (regarding N'sync dissing)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
a) so what if you don't like boybands?

different people like different music.
i don't know about you, but i can be moved by any kind of music, be it pop/rock/R&B/movie music/classical music/yes, boybands too.
(examples in my case: Beatles/U2/Lauryn Hill/various movie themes/all those best known opera arias/Boyzone)
good things can come out of any music genre. the good thing is everyone can choose their favorites WITH respect and tolerance to others.

b) you need to understand that N'sync mean as much to their fans as U2 means to us.
how would you feel if you were at a N'sync forum and people started picking on U2?

c) i don't know about you, but i don't care if N'sync won over U2. did you really think U2 had any chance of winning?
it's MTV-it's watched by 15, 16 year olds (TRL audience)-they don't care about U2. and i couldn't care less if they copy U2 with the "Pop" album.

let it be.

------------------
"touch me, take me to that other place,
teach me, love, i know i'm not a hopeless case" - Beautiful day

"be uncool, yes be awkward" - Always

"and you can find your own way out"-Acrobat

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 09-07-2001).]

No.
tongue.gif

I can see where you're coming from and I will admit I've done some of the NSync bashing in the last 12 hours but I think we're all using the NSync bashing as a way to bash what is going on the music industry.

NSync is just one of many manufactured boy bands/blonde singers out there. U2 is a well-oiled rock 'n roll machine.

Because of that, U2 fans tend to have a deeper appreciation for the MUSICIAN. We know what its like to have a song move us to the point where we get excited about erasing third world debt. We know the power that one song can hold. We know what's its like to have a guitar solo or a bass line or a drum beat rip through our very souls.

These pop stars aren't musicians. They are marketing a product. Its fake. Its contrived. Its lip synced. Ahd its stiffling the music industry. There is amazing music out there that no one is listening to because these crap bands are plugging up the air waves.

I was an NKOTB fan when I was 13. I know how these girls feel. I don't regret being 13 years old and a teen pop band fan. But when I was 13, MTV wouldn't play an NKOTB video for a long time because the station thought the band was too much of a marketing phenomenom and not a musical one. Now, they've sold their Martha Quinn soul to marketing and reaching important demographics.

To me, NSync is a representative of the fact that the music industry is not about music anymore. And when I think of the music that teenagers are not hearing, that's when I get scared. There is so much great music from great musicians that are busting their asses and yet some band that P Diddy put together in a hotel in Beverly Hills was at the MTV Awards.

Music has power. But that power can not move crowds, can not inspire, can not stir souls, when its suffocated by lyrics that any schmuck of the street can write.

------------------
"Things will not be the same in this city for us." -Bono, Dublin, February 1980

I am proud to say I was never a fan of any manufactured teen pop idol. I think what upsets so many of us is that we know what real music is and we appreciate it. We can't stand to see a 'music' awards show be given to a Toys R Us, Pokemon type of act.

Some of us, like me, remember the days when MTV was MUSIC television and it meant something. It is hard to bear to see it come to this. These are sad times indeed. One more thing in defense of N'SUCK bashers- this IS a U2 FAN message board, and we had a right to be upset. There are plenty of boards and chats for those who choose to gush over the boy bands, and we are not there. This is our space, let us have it. We need to gripe, we have good reason. Those who want to bash have a right. Those who don't want to bash can avoid the thread.

I started a thread with similar sentiments 'MTV The Peter Pan Network'...

MTV is not what it used to be...anyone catch Dee Snyder's Interview at the anniversary party...? "MTV is more a lifestyle channel now...when do you play videos?"

biggrin.gif

dream wanderer

I'll go read your thread now Dream Wanderer. I started one too, called U2 DON'T NEED MTV!

------------------
"Walk On, stay safe tonight"

NO Never !!! Diss NSync forever!!

------------------
Boy Bands Bite Me

Originally posted by U2girl:
how would you feel if you were at a N'sync forum and people started picking on U2?

Ooooh, that'd be hoot, would'nt it?

------------------
"I'm already gone... Felt that way all along..."

Originally posted by U2ITNOL:
piss2.gif
feat33.gif

[This message has been edited by U2ITNOL (edited 09-07-2001).]

how mature...

------------------

I thought it was pretty funny.

LOL !!

------------------
N'Suck can still bite me.

Originally posted by sharky:
I can see where you're coming from and I will admit I've done some of the NSync bashing in the last 12 hours but I think we're all using the NSync bashing as a way to bash what is going on the music industry.

These pop stars aren't musicians. They are marketing a product. Its fake. Its contrived. Its lip synced. Ahd its stiffling the music industry. There is amazing music out there that no one is listening to because these crap bands are plugging up the air waves.

To me, NSync is a representative of the fact that the music industry is not about music anymore. And when I think of the music that teenagers are not hearing, that's when I get scared. There is so much great music from great musicians that are busting their asses and yet some band that P Diddy put together in a hotel in Beverly Hills was at the MTV Awards.

wait a second-it's one thing to do an constructive critisism of music industry IN GENERAL, it's another thing to pick a group and accuse them of everything that's "bad" about today's music.

true, they're manufactured. but that doesn't mean younger generation won't get to hear good music. the first time i saw Radiohead was on MTV. and i remember lots of times when i saw U2 videos. as for the radio-that dependes from the profile of the radio station. some play dance music, some play evergreens, some play alternative etc...it's all out there (at least in my country it is).

i wouldn't go as far as saying those are "crap" bands just because i prefer different music.

live and let live-the market is big enough for everyone.

------------------

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 09-07-2001).]

HAHA!! (laughs at u2girl the way nelson would)

u2girl you have to much time on your hands.

nsync, for one are not human. they are brainwashed by the industry and are robots. they are evil robots that i am currently seeking out to destroy and cut their kids in half.

i HATE NSYNC. yes, you heard me. if i ever haear another boy band thank god for all the success theyve got, im gonna throw a brick at my tv. i hate boy bands and i especially hate nsync.

if i had a smilie for a big fat-ass bear squating, and taking a bloody, wet, shit on nsync id post it, but im sure sg has one, so ill wait for her to do it.

once again nsync are not real, this is not happening. they are a mockery to music. if i saw them in the street id break their knees.

------------------
-deathbear

What do ya mean 'can't we all just get along?' YOU U2girl are the only one fighting, because you are the only one on their side. They suck shit. I will continue to diss them until their "careers" are washed up and then I will wallow in the joy of their demise. All the while U2 rocks on!
U2girl why not go join an N'Suck message board?

Originally posted by Hent the Power Bear:
HAHA!! (laughs at u2girl the way nelson would)

u2girl you have to much time on your hands.

nelson who? mandela?!?

maybe i have too much time, but i am tired of all this intolerance going around...

if kids want N'sync (or somebody else who is "hot"), then kids buy it, vote for it on TRL and ... vote for it at the VMAs. who am i to judge their music taste?

besides-just because they listen to N'sync now, doesn't mean they will NEVER get to hear and like other music too.

------------------

U2 girl, there is something called the "freedom of speech." If people on this board elect to arrange pissing monkeys in the general direction of a horrid sounding single, and make snarky comments, that is their right. For those who don't like it, don't read the Nsync relatend threads. It's really remarkably simple.

Originally posted by ODB:
What do ya mean 'can't we all just get along?' YOU U2girl are the only one fighting, because you are the only one on their side. B]

what do you mean, what do I mean? the title is pretty clear and obvious, isn't it?

fighting? who's fighting? we're just talking.

------------------

u2girl read what the hell i had to say1!!! i was not talking about the kdis!! i dont guive a shit about kids anyway, why else do i want to cut them in half all the time anyway?!/!?!?

nsync is shit. grow a spine and admit it. as odb mentioned, your the only one on there side so dont complain about us starting fights.

nsync are a bunch of fembots that can rot in the pits of shitholes anywhere. THEY SUCK.

oh and quit saying intolerance this intolerance that... bah1!! i dont give a shit!! they suck, they dont deserve to be recognized, they should be sold as slaves.

------------------
-deathbear

usually, I'd agree w/ you u2girl on the idea of just letting was is be was it is (if that makes sense
confused.gif
)

But MTV used to be about music, about rock'n'roll, about being on the edge. Now it's just a major corporation marketing itself to the right demographics around the world.

The VMA's sucked. Period. The groups that one for the most part were crap. Any good bands that are out there aren't getting the recognition. And when they do, they're marketed as part of a genre...the next "big thing". A few years back the music industry jumped on "electronica" and put a big push behind Prodigy and the Chemical Brothers. When that didn't pan out as profitable, they moved on.

But it's not about the fucking money. It's about MUSIC. Give me a credic card w/ a $1,000 limit, 1/2 an hour, and Bullmoose Records in Portsmouth NH, and I'll max the card buying god knows how many cd's of bands that never get airplay. I don't even know the bands. But at a place like Bullmoose music, I can find people who do.

But that's fucking hard to do. Why can't I turn on the radio, and hear GOOD music and go...hhhmmmmm...I like that, what is it?...maybe I'll buy that....or turn on MTV and see a video of a band I've never heard before.

But I can't. I turn on the radio, I watch MTV, and all I get is this incessent marketing of crap and drivel. I don't listen to the radio anymore because for every 100 hours of crap I have to put up w/ is 1...just 1 new, different, exciting song. The last time I heard a new different song on the radio was a year ago when Babylon began being played on the radio. And it was a fucking miracle that David Gray got played at all.

Nsync does suck, as do many of the groups out there. They suck because they aren't about music. Until I see Justin Timberlake sitting in a recording studio writing a song, and then performing it without his stupid fucking dance routines, I'm not going to give them any respect at all.

And watching all these people get up to present and promote their album...FOAD! I live in a culture where I am constantly being assaulted with advertising. Can't I watch a show about music and have it just be about music, without any corporation getting it's client to take 15 seconds to say "buy my album".

Here's a sad story about the music industry. There is an excellent band called The Samples. They were offered a recording deal by Arista back in the mid 90's. This was after they had put out 4 or 5 albums on an indy label called W.A.R. (What Are Records?). A very succesful touring band, friends w/ Dave Matthews. They ended up having to sue to get out of their contract, because Arista listened to one of their songs, and told them they had to change it to make it more radio friendly. Their response, thank god, was FUCK YOU. As it should've been.

Good lord, you don't go telling a painter to change his painting to make it more appealing, to make it more marketable. Why the hell would you do that with a musician.

But this is how bad it has gotten for the music industry. The music industry will fall on it's face if it continues down this path. It is only a matter of time....

------------------
hhhhhmmmmmmmm..........

Originally posted by anitram:
U2 girl, there is something called the "freedom of speech." If people on this board elect to arrange pissing monkeys in the general direction of a horrid sounding single, and make snarky comments, that is their right. For those who don't like it, don't read the Nsync relatend threads. It's really remarkably simple.

yes, but what about the right to disagree with offensive monkey pictures ("fun"? not really), and with the anti-N'sync propaganda?
what about respecting the fact not everybody hates boybands, and being tolerant to a different point of view/music taste?
if people don't like something, they have the right to say it. especially something as low as this whole thing is.

------------------

u2girl i must mention that my anger is towards nsync, and that im not judging your carachter, however i am saddened by your leniance twoards boy bands...surely you agree that they should be round up and eaten, dont you agree?

------------------
-deathbear

anti-nsync propaganding!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! what?!?!?!?!?!!? what do you honestly know about propaganda?!?!?!!

the REAL propaganda is the shit that mtv and everythign else that tells us liking or even accepting bullshit fakers such as nsync is cool!! thats the propaganda dear...

------------------
-deathbear

Originally posted by ODB:
U2girl started this fight. She is defending them. Apparently she is alone in her quest.

hmmm-i don't think they need "defending". just giving some opposition to the hostile atmosphere...

------------------

if people don't like something, they have the right to say it. especially something as low as this whole thing is.

Exactly!

If people don't like NSync, they are most welcome to say it. They can say it a zillion times if they so desire.

If you are a fan of Nsync, I'm sure there are a million boards of theirs you can join and in peace discuss their music. This is obviously not such a board, and you don't stand a chance at converting people here to Nsync fans, so what's the point of trying?

do_bears2.jpg

Just imagine N'Suck is in the toilet.

------------------
Give it up U2girl, N'stink sucks eggs.

"Opposition to the hostile atmosphere"- doesn't that mean fighting against those who diss the boy bands? Fact: you started this, you are continuing it because you are the ONLY one on N'Suck's side. If you so oppose the hostile atmosphere, stop posting! If you stop it will all stop. This is your battle.

Originally posted by anitram:
Exactly!

If people don't like NSync, they are most welcome to say it. They can say it a zillion times if they so desire.

If you are a fan of Nsync, I'm sure there are a million boards of theirs you can join and in peace discuss their music. This is obviously not such a board, and you don't stand a chance at converting people here to Nsync fans, so what's the point of trying?

hmmmm-correct me if i'm wrong, but so far i have said NOTHING about being or not being a fan of N'sync.
discuss their music? who said anything about that?!? i'm just saying there's enough room for everyone out there, be it rock/pop/R&B/hip hop/metal/alternative/soul/etc etc etc...

so there's no need for "converting" anyone into a fan (it's not like i'm doing that anyway). they'll do it on their own-i mean people always have a chance, the option what music to listen to.

and, according to you, why is everyone discussing N'sync in a U2 forum?

------------------

Yknow what. Every single person on this forum could agree on something and U2girl would still argue it.

twitch.gif

------------------
The Chairs Are All Stacked
The Swinging's Stopped Swinging

Sicy's Website

and, according to you, why is everyone discussing N'sync in a U2 forum?

Because it just so happens that last night U2 and Nsync were up for the same award and U2 lost. Therefore, people are expressing their dismay/surprise/disgust.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom