Can't U2 Understand POP? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2002, 04:35 PM   #21
Refugee

Local Time: 04:12 AM
And another thing ...

Quote:
I have a feeling if POP was a blockbuster saleswise it wouldn't receive as much backlash from the band.
Passengers wasn't a huge commercial success and I've never seen any of the band members (apart from Larry) say that they were unhappy with it. In fact, haven't they always defended it?

Why isn't it possible for U2 to just not like Pop artistically, regardless of sales?

Old 10-11-2002, 08:36 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:12 PM
Re: And another thing ...

Quote:
Originally posted by ThatGuy

Passengers wasn't a huge commercial success and I've never seen any of the band members (apart from Larry) say that they were unhappy with it. In fact, haven't they always defended it?

Why isn't it possible for U2 to just not like Pop artistically, regardless of sales?
The reason why it's rather interesting is because the band absolutely loved Pop when they released it. Edge was really surprised that it didn't sell too well because he, as well as the rest of the band, sincerely thought it was some of their best work, ever. It's interesting how U2's "tune" (pardon the pun) has now changed regarding the quality of the material on Pop.

Re: Passengers - that album was never meant to be a commercial success, which is why they never put the U2 label on it in the first place. It was more of an Eno side project collaboration than an official U2 record, and it was promoted (or not promoted) as such. It was supposed to be a small "arty" record.

To get back to R&H being allegedly bashed by the critics, totally not true. It was the movie that was bashed, not the album. People should get their facts straight!

Old 10-11-2002, 08:52 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:12 AM
Re: Re: And another thing ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Griffiths

To get back to R&H being allegedly bashed by the critics, totally not true. It was the movie that was bashed, not the album. People should get their facts straight!
Good to hear someone else say that! Whew! I really don't remember either being bashed by critics, if it was it wasn't a big thing. I was really into U2 then and I don't remember anything negative about Rattle and Hum. That is a myth that has somehow started and perpetuated on this forum, probably by people who weren't even fans then who took something they heard and ran with it, maybe as you say a movie review confused with the album or whatever, and now lots of people believe it and always throw it up to balance POP's bashing, but it really isn't true. I can't say for sure there is no evidence someone couldn't produce, just that I haven't seen it and if there was any anywhere it was insignificant did not have any impact.
Old 10-11-2002, 09:07 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Re: Re: And another thing ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Griffiths

The reason why it's rather interesting is because the band absolutely loved Pop when they released it. Edge was really surprised that it didn't sell too well because he, as well as the rest of the band, sincerely thought it was some of their best work, ever. It's interesting how U2's "tune" (pardon the pun) has now changed regarding the quality of the material on Pop.
Yes, but that's something that happens with artists all the time: they look back and re-assess their work. I mean, we the fans do it all the time: we may lose passion for an album we used to love dearly and take a liking to something we previously dismissed. So why is it that whatever feeling a band had for an album MUST stay the same no matter what? Edge is always talking about how he'd like to go back and remix all of their earlier songs; Bono says now that he can't stand to listen to his early singing. Gloria didn't appear on the first Greatest Hits compilation because the band felt that it didn't date well, and from the Q interview apparently Edge now feels the same about The Fly (although I wonder whether he was on drugs when he said that, ). I'm sure that the band felt great about these two songs when they were first released.

And nowhere in the interview did any band member say that it was a bad idea to try and experiment with new sounds, or that POP songs were essentially poor. Their frustration with POP seems to be mainly because they didn't feel that they did as good a job with finishing it as they could.
Old 10-11-2002, 09:13 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:12 AM
Eh, screw POP. It's an alright album, but hell, it's not even the most experimental album they ever put out. Hell, it's more like a rock album hidden behind the curtain of a dance/trance album.

The best expirimental album U2 ever put out was Zooropa, and behind that Unforgettable Fire.

U2 took bigger risks with Zooropa than they did with POP. POP was more of an image than an album.
Old 10-11-2002, 09:22 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Re: Re: Re: And another thing ...

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten

Good to hear someone else say that! Whew! I really don't remember either being bashed by critics, if it was it wasn't a big thing. I was really into U2 then and I don't remember anything negative about Rattle and Hum. That is a myth that has somehow started and perpetuated on this forum, probably by people who weren't even fans then who took something they heard and ran with it, maybe as you say a movie review confused with the album or whatever, and now lots of people believe it and always throw it up to balance POP's bashing, but it really isn't true. I can't say for sure there is no evidence someone couldn't produce, just that I haven't seen it and if there was any anywhere it was insignificant did not have any impact.
Well, I've certainly read a lot of negative album reviews of Rattle'n'Hum, and anyway you can't really separate the movie from the album. It all sort of merges into a whole era in U2's career.
Old 10-11-2002, 10:09 PM   #27
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 04:12 AM
Hey jick.. dont you get tired of talking about POP? Cuz I'm sure getting tired of these threads and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Or no wait.. you just like to stir shit dont you?

Old 10-12-2002, 12:10 AM   #28
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy
Hey jick.. dont you get tired of talking about POP? Cuz I'm sure getting tired of these threads and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

it's hard to tell which jick is the troll...the pro-pop or the anti-pop.

sometimes i wonder if it's both
Old 10-12-2002, 01:23 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Jick, the band doesn't hate the record. From the article, it seems that they simply felt that it was unfinished and that it wasn't their complete vision. By going back and redoing the tracks for the new compilation, they're finally able to realize what they had planned for the POP album.
Old 10-12-2002, 01:27 AM   #30
War Child

Local Time: 05:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy

Or no wait.. you just like to stir shit dont you?

Old 10-12-2002, 04:49 AM   #31
Refugee

Local Time: 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Hawkmoon1021

Me too. I have a feeling if POP was a blockbuster saleswise it wouldn't receive as much backlash from the band. I know they say the album was unfinished & they ran out of time, but didn't they take longer working on POP than any other of their records? I guess the more technology you use, the more options you have.
I think you have really low regard for the band when you say they wouldn't backlash the album if it sold well. I think the band's opinion of their past work aren't swayed just by chart success and sales figures. In that same article, Edge said he wasn't too happy about The Fly after re-listening to it, but he uncovered a gem - The First Time - when he listened to it. The Fly was a single and did very well in all the charts, The First Time wasn't even a single and it came out in Zooropa - not exactly a monster seller. But Edge picked the latter over the former for inclusion in the Best Of. So I think the band's low regard for POP is just that they don't like it - period. But I don't really care what they think - it won't change what I think. What makes U2 great is their music, not their opinions about their albums anyway.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP
Old 10-12-2002, 06:12 AM   #32
Acrobat

Local Time: 01:12 PM
Re: C'mon U2!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by unnamed_streets
The more I read about U2 admitting Pop as a mistake, the more I get the feeling that the band has moved (read pussied out) to a safe, unadventurous and crowd-pleasing part of their career. I dont wanna think this. Hope I'm proven wrong by a mindblowing new album.
Exactly!! Are you a mind reader?
Old 10-12-2002, 06:32 AM   #33
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by jick

I think you have really low regard for the band when you say they wouldn't backlash the album if it sold well.
I'm just talking about POP, not U2's past catalog. POP failed to meet sales expectations, which was really a first for U2. IMO, I don't think they would they would put the unfinished spin on it as much if it sold like ATYCLB. I love the band & POP, and don't appreciate you saying I hold them in low regard because I express an opinion.

I think you hold the band in low regard when you compare them to Bon Jovi.
Old 10-12-2002, 07:35 AM   #34
Jesus Online

Local Time: 11:12 PM
For gods sake Jick, get over it. If you think your opinion is so right and have this desire to constantly prove it, send that little reworking you did with that article to Q and ask them for a job.
Stop rehashing the same old thing over and over.
The only real point of interest from this derives from the comment made by unnamed_streets on whether their opinion of Pop will shape future albums.

This whole thing is like the proverbial fart in the shower. It just keeps coming back. What is the point of these continual threads bashing a particular album? Are you doing your civic duty to spread awareness that such an album might be shithouse? Cos lets face it, no one apart from your own self I think really gives 2 shits as to what you think of an album. Your opinion means as much to me, as mine does to you. Nobody here could be swayed by me posting endless threads on my views. I would't try and dont really care to.

We can all search and find articles of the band being critical and negative about all their albums. It means squat.
Old 10-12-2002, 08:15 AM   #35
Refugee

Location: living in a rock and roll fantasy- and what's wrong with that?

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkfloyd
screw U2 , i like POP , if they got old and betray thier ideals

I see this as backwards, they didn't get old and betray their ideals, it was with POP that they betrayed their ideals! That's never what they were about, it was a phase they were going through, they did it and they came out of it. What we have now is the real U2 with their real ideals.

And please don't make light of Bono's 'boring political speeches'- he's saving lives.

Brandon Boyd

-Incubus
Old 10-12-2002, 08:57 AM   #36
Acrobat

Local Time: 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Desire4Bono

I see this as backwards, they didn't get old and betray their ideals, it was with POP that they betrayed their ideals! That's never what they were about, it was a phase they were going through, they did it and they came out of it. What we have now is the real U2 with their real ideals.
Oh hopefully not. I don't hope you're right. And if you are, well then it's sadder than sad...., it's dreadful.
Old 10-12-2002, 09:49 AM   #37
War Child

Local Time: 10:12 PM
I dont think that U2 regret what they did in the 90s.I think from the tone of the article they were just regretting some of the very tough times they had as a band in that era. So this obviously reflects back on what they have been doing.

But the good thing is Larry Mullen Jr cannot take back my copy POP
Old 10-12-2002, 10:31 AM   #38
Refugee

Location: living in a rock and roll fantasy- and what's wrong with that?

Quote:
Originally posted by elevation

Oh hopefully not. I don't hope you're right. And if you are, well then it's sadder than sad.... it's dreadful.
NO, what happened to them during POP was 'sad and dreadful.' Thank goodness they were able to realize that and pull themselves out of it in time to save their career and salvage their place in history.

Brandon Boyd

-Incubus
Old 10-12-2002, 01:51 PM   #39
Refugee

Local Time: 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
What is the point of these continual threads bashing a particular album? Are you doing your civic duty to spread awareness that such an album might be shithouse? Cos lets face it, no one apart from your own self I think really gives 2 shits as to what you think of an album. Your opinion means as much to me, as mine does to you. Nobody here could be swayed by me posting endless threads on my views. I would't try and dont really care to.

We can all search and find articles of the band being critical and negative about all their albums. It means squat.
Let me ask back - what album did I bash? As far as I can read, all I did was bash the band's own quotes about their glorious masterpiece, POP. My civic duty is not spreading that POP is a shithouse, but to spread to people that POP can be a great album so one doesn't have to be swayed the the negative comments the band themselves have about POP. You are correct, your opinion is just as good as mine. The point I was trying to drive at is that at the end of the day, Mullen's comments and the rest of the band members' comments are just as good as yours and mine - and no better. By the way, good luck on your search in finding quotes about the band saying all their albums except POP are "unfinished", "not 100%" and "a mistake."

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP
Old 10-12-2002, 03:01 PM   #40
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Desire4Bono

NO, what happened to them during POP was 'sad and dreadful.' Thank goodness they were able to realize that and pull themselves out of it in time to save their career and salvage their place in history.
such high words .....salvage thier place in history ... bono saves lives .....makes me sick .... and yeah Live fucking Aid was a good commercial and promo - type gig for U2 , where is it now .. nowhere ...any results ....0 ......except $$$$$ sky-rocketing sales by U2 , Queen and Bob Geldof who did nothing except badly played Pink role