Can't get over "Out of Control" from Slane

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love the whole Slane concert to death. But Streets, Desire (I like it acoustic :reject: ) and Out Of Control are particularly awesome. It has so much energy! :rockon:

i always crack up and have a long-lasting shit-eating grin after i hear bono's speech that ends in "and by now, you've probably given us 500 pounds too, so thank you!"

oh it's so much more than 500 pounds.

Yea, I love the whole "back in time" thing - it's one of my favorite songs to run to, especially when I need a little pick me up.

"We're gonna score ourselves a rec-ord deal!"

its awesome atmosphere though i always thought it was a bit slow
the original is very up - beat
same with sunday bloody sunday at slane, its preety slow

im actually watchin slane as i type right now and i must say this has got to be the pinnacle of the elevation tour....the whole thing from top to bottom is amazing....and bonos voice is on ! :wink:

the best 500 pound investment ever, perhaps? :hmm:

yeah, the slane version is slower, but it is oh-so-very-very SOLID. they're not just in the pocket, they're fucking TEARING IT UP. sick :drool:

:yes:

I like the speech (somehow it works better than the usual "we started 20 years ago" on IWF), and I love how the crowd explodes afterwards.
The absolute highlight of that show for me is the AIWIY/Streets wail.

Last edited:
luna_lovegood said:
I love the whole Slane concert to death. But Streets, Desire (I like it acoustic :reject: ) and Out Of Control are particularly awesome. It has so much energy! :rockon:

maybe the music, but STREETS on the Slane DVD is just THE WORST diecting and editing I've ever seen in my life... I mean... when the song explodes with the lights, the camera is on that 16mm thing looking at the people who just stand there...

and don't get me started on those Bono close ups... you can't see his hair, and because of that, he looks like 100 years old

and in one mom,ent he's looking at Larry then he's back looking at the crowd in those ridiculous close ups

that's Hamlish at his best... (and by best, I mean worst)

Streets BOSTON DVD >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Streets SLANE

anyway, Streets ZOO TV >>>>>>>>>>>> Streets Boston

but yeah, OUT OF CONTROL is the real gem of the DVD...specially when the song comes back and we get that wide shot of 80.000 people jumping up and down... I always get chills when I see that :drool:

Fine - but not the best from the tour. Listen to the versions of the 3rd leg, especially last night of the tour: Miami, 12/02, it's simply breathtaking. Fast paced, great vocal delivery, great solo ...

I can't believe how can the same guy in one DVD direct such a crapfest as Streets, and bring in the goods and a great energy through images (in basically his best work besides Streets Boston)

and that version is amazing. Much more mature than any 80's stuff

Last edited:
I certainly agree that 'Slane' is the best concert-video that U2 have ever produced (or appeared in). 'Under a Blood Red Sky' is up there, and of course 'Rattle & Hum', but it's not really a concert movie. So 'Slane' is the best.

I also agree that 'Out of Control' is awesome at this show. However, I think the standout performance at this show is undoubtedly 'One.' I know all of you on this "fan" site think 'One' is the worst song in the history of the world, but I rather like it, and 'Slane' is the BY FAR the best performance of it I've ever heard. Edge's solo completely breaks my heart... deeply affecting.

No way does everyone here think One is the worst song in the history of the world. It's one of their finest.

:) Anyways... Out of Control is fun to watch on this show, whether it's a great performance or not.

65980 said:
I know all of you on this "fan" site think 'One' is the worst song in the history of the world, but I rather like it, and 'Slane' is the BY FAR the best performance of it I've ever heard.

then you haven't heard Notredame 10-10-2001

those violins :drool:

Slane is, despite having probably the most average setlist of all the DVDs so far, and a few not-so-awesome-renditions-in-comparison, the best U2 DVD I have. It feels so... homely, right... I dunno. It's hard to explain, weird even, but its just the best.

65980 said:
I know all of you on this "fan" site think 'One' is the worst song in the history of the world, but I rather like it, and 'Slane' is the BY FAR the best performance of it I've ever heard. Edge's solo completely breaks my heart... deeply affecting.

Ive been here since 05 as well and that's nhot the impression I got.

I agree however. Always reduces me to near tears.

I used to be very meh about Out Of Control and actually still am about the album version. It's close to being the worst song on Boy I think. But on the Slane dvd it comes alive! And that Oooo OOO Oooo.... yell at the end of the chorus is freaking beautiful.. that is how Bono should've sung it on the album IMO. Excellent version!!! :drool:

Zootlesque said:
I used to be very meh about Out Of Control and actually still am about the album version. It's close to being the worst song on Boy I think. But on the Slane dvd it comes alive! And that Oooo OOO Oooo.... yell at the end of the chorus is freaking beautiful.. that is how Bono should've sung it on the album IMO. Excellent version!!! :drool:

I kind of agree about the album version. What kills it for me is that after the seven and half minutes of a shitload of repitive bass from Adam, ACD/ITH finally ends... but then OOC starts and its almost the same bass line! its like, come on give us a break.

pepokiss said:
maybe the music, but STREETS on the Slane DVD is just THE WORST diecting and editing I've ever seen in my life... I mean... when the song explodes with the lights, the camera is on that 16mm thing looking at the people who just stand there...

Then you probably haven't seen the Boston Elevation DVD. The version of Streets on that DVD is atrocious (the direction I mean, not the music)! If you wouldn't know about the explosion of lights, you wouldn't learn about it on this DVD. All you see is just a closeup of Bono. :|

Streets BOSTON DVD >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Streets SLANE

anyway, Streets ZOO TV >>>>>>>>>>>> Streets Boston

Oh, you have seen the Boston Elevation DVD. :wink:
In that case, I completely disagree with your first statement (as I think the Slane version is better than the Boston one, though that's easy). And I completely agree with your second statement.

Aardvark747 said:
I always skip it on the Slane dvd as I find that speech just a little cheesey!

I must be in a minority!:wink:

May be in the minority...but I'm there with you! I personally feel that the Slane DVD is the worst of all U2 DVD's and that OOC is one of the worst songs on that DVD....

Don't get me wrong...there were some great highlights...BD, Elevation, All I Want Is You..........The rest is pretty "blah" to me. OOC is terrible...just about every bootleg I've ever listened to is better.

Back
Top Bottom