can't get enough of Mullen's beats...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dorian Gray

Refugee
so here I was, sitting 'round listening to some U2 when it occured to me that Larry Mullen Jr. is the pefect drummer for the band. I don't expect many of you find this thought particularly revolutionary, but I feel it needs to be said anyway... again. (that, and a quick scan through the last few pages of posts reveals that there hasn't been much discussion devoted to Mr Mullen lately... I think)
I was listening to Joshua Tree when this occured to me... I swear the man's drumming is incredibly unique. While he may not hammer the drums like Keith Moon or bulldoze the senses like John Bonham, he does compliment the song quite perfectly. Especially with those that I previously never assoicated with great drumming like One Tree Hill (this one's got just a great drum vibe), Still Haven't Found, or MOTD.
I dunno what else to say, I just think he plays a MAJOR role in giving U2 a sound unlike so many other bands, more than perhaps he's normally given credit for. What do you folks think?

:larry: = :bow: :up:

Last edited:
I only have two words to say: FUCKIN' ACROBAT!

Last edited:
Larry Mullen is definetly the man. I think hes a great drummer, not the best, but hes definetly a big part of the band.

i agree, his drumming is very unique.
i was listening to teh Chilli Peppers live in Hyde Park album today and the drummer does a "medley" of zeppelin, queen and U2 - the opening drum beat of sunday bloody sunday.
i was at that concert and went barmy when they did that. even better is in the sleeve the attributes it as "an homage to some of the great rock drum riffs"
pretty cool coming from a band like the chilli peppers and a credit to larry's drumming genius

digsy said:

i was listening to teh Chilli Peppers live in Hyde Park album today and the drummer does a "medley" of zeppelin, queen and U2 - the opening drum beat of sunday bloody sunday.

that's awesome. As soon as I saw this (love the RHCP) I logged onto amazon and looked at this CD. But its $32, do you think its worth it?

RademR said:

that's awesome. As soon as I saw this (love the RHCP) I logged onto amazon and looked at this CD. But its $32, do you think its worth it?
yeah, i got mine quite cheap here so i'm not going to complain, but tis a great album, loaded with all the songs you'd want adn expect to hear as well as a few others. its also a double disk so it probably would be more expensive than normal.
also i was at that concert - it was amazing, totally kicked ass - so ai'm blatantly going to snap up the live album of it
now if we could just get U2 to do that...

Back
Top Bottom