Can *YOU* ID this song?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
elizabeth said:

thanks you.....

anyway, try posting your search in PLEBA too. i mentioned this thread to a few people and they were genuinely interested. my hubby suggested achtung baby outtakes as well?

i had even worse luck than others understanding the lyrics. i will listen to our bootleg CD that digi made for us while we pack up our house today and see if i recognize anything!

ON WITH THE SEARCH!

(by the way marina, I ALWAYS knew i would find his pants...)

I had mp3's of the Achtung Baby outtakes a year ago, and the mystery song wasn't a part of it, unfortuately...

david said:
hrm wow. still haven't figured it out yet. It sounds like Achtung Baby era U2. I dunno, I thought up so many possibilities. Is it a song from The Captive Soundtrack that Edge did back in 1986? Is it a collaboration between Bob Geldof and Bono???

I have Captive, and that's not it.

I was unaware Bob Geldof and Bono did a collaboration, but that's a possibility.

I actually went to www.u2wanderer.org and looked through their very thorough discography (everything from collaborations to samples)... and after searching all the lyrics (and sound samples) of the songs listed... nothing really showed up.

I'm guessing, while it sounds like Bono... maybe it's not. Maybe it's a Canadian band that never got airplay outside of Canada, or it could be a band only known in the Vancouver-Seattle region. *shrug*

doctorwho said:

I'm just surprised that people like Skeek haven't already come to your rescue! He has .mp3's of EVERYTHING! ;)

Yup! Well... everything except that, unfortunately. I have no idea. That sure does sound like Bono though.

It sounds amazingly like the EDGE and BONO. And it definately sounds Acthung Baby"ish". Its creepy. The song rocks though cause it sounds like vintage early 90's U2. I have never heard the Salome Outtakes. It could have been that this DJ played this song only once. If seen it sometimes. DJ's say "Ok this is the only time we're going to play this so get your tape decks ready".

The link won't work for me, but it might just be an improvised soundcheck or something.

it sounds polished, so that rules out a soundcheck. i mean despite the low quality of the wavs you could tell it was a finished song, there are layers and all kinds of things going on.

this is a complete mystery. it's not from the salome outtakes either, most of the people here have them and said they're not, i went to the lyric archive of interference and there are no lyrics for it, well, because it's not on the outtakes or anything else.

Very interesting...

If it really is U2, the sound, and some of the lyrics make me thing perhaps it was something they did around the Sun City time frame........

Any chance you can post the complete song as one file? :)

Last edited:
My head is exploding now... I'm almost sure that the voice is bono. It's very bono-ish. I went to search engines and some u2 fan sites to search but I just couldn't find any songs that matched...

Last edited:
Ok...weren't there 4 achtung outtakes? I know the 3 discs were widely released, but I thought there was a fourth disc as well...I have searched for every possible lyric combination and NADA...but if you think about it...this kinda fits into the whole AB theme...like maybe this is a song about Edge and Aislinn..."While the Nation Watched I had to forget you." Who knows I am grasping at straws here, but GOOD LORD THAT SOUNDS LIKE BONO!!!

Ok if that is not Bono...then my new goal is to find this man and marry him and make him sing to me everyday.

GAH!

This is driving me INSANE!

Mona: Fishy...weren't you already insane?
Fishy: Hush you...

*ahem*

Fishy <><

Well, I'm going to play the devil's advocate here. I don't think Bono's singing on these samples.

At :28 and :38 on the 2nd sample, there are a couple of vocal sounds that I've never heard Bono make before. This singer has the vocal acrobatics that Bono has, but I don't think it's him.

Plus, I doubt that Bono has ever lent his voice to a recording that has been played on the radio, but that nobody from this forum has heard.

Sounds like a cool song, but I don't think it's U2.

My $.02

-MIke

Mike P said:
Well, I'm going to play the devil's advocate here. I don't think Bono's singing on these samples.

At :28 and :38 on the 2nd sample, there are a couple of vocal sounds that I've never heard Bono make before. This singer has the vocal acrobatics that Bono has, but I don't think it's him.

Plus, I doubt that Bono has ever lent his voice to a recording that has been played on the radio, but that nobody from this forum has heard.

Sounds like a cool song, but I don't think it's U2.

My $.02

-MIke

Ditto. ;)

In the first wav file, the singer sounds like Danny Elfman of Oingo Boingo fame. I went to a good Boingo website that has lyrics to every song they did and I couldn't find it. So I guess that rules out Boingo. Ugh everytime I listen to it, I feel like I've heard it before. I also get the sense that maybe it could be a popular 80's band that we have all forgetten about. I thought of names like Echo and The Bunnymen, Crowded House, Simple Minds, Tears For Fears, World Party, and I've searched at CDNOW.com since you can hear song samples, and nothing has come up.

THIS IS DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm starting to e-mail more radio DJ's now. Someone's bound to know.

If anyone will know, it'll be my friend Bob (who's a U2 die hard fan, but also a local music journalist AND a music trivia nut).

It would also be kooky Vancouver musician/weirdo/college radio DJ "Nardwuar the Human Serviette". My guess is that I, or maybe one other person on here *might* know who he is. He's practically a walking encyclopedia of musical knowledge - especially when it comes to strange, obscure, independent Canadian bands... so he *may* know. I just have to track him down either by phone or by e-mail. Or I'll just knock on the door of UBC's CiTR radio station and play the tape for him.

Please note everybody: the song *is* a studio recording. I'll try to hook up a cassette player into my computer, and I'll download a proper music program to record it... and I'll even change the format into mp3... that will join up the song so it sounds like one, and you'll hear that while in parts it does sound like U2, other parts it doesn't. You'll also hear less fuzz, and you'll realise it's not a bootleg of a live show... the song was a finished studio recording.

ARGH! But the mystery of who and WHAT it is still exists!

AAAARGH!!! :huh:

snutes1 said:
It sounds amazingly like the EDGE and BONO. And it definately sounds Acthung Baby"ish". Its creepy. The song rocks though cause it sounds like vintage early 90's U2. I have never heard the Salome Outtakes. It could have been that this DJ played this song only once. If seen it sometimes. DJ's say "Ok this is the only time we're going to play this so get your tape decks ready".

Although I managed to tape this song *twice*... so it was played more than once.

:question:

Oooh!!!

Someone just posted on another website that they used to work for a music store in the early 90's, and that in 92 or so, people would come in looking for this song that sounded like U2...

The band is "This Picture" and the song was "Naked Rain"

If you go here:

http://www.snurgle.org/~hlh/discography.html

... you can listen to a sound clip of that song.

This band could possibly be the mystery band... however, "Naked Rain" isn't the song.

Hmmmm

[color=royal blue]Hmmmm thanky fer the updates..... But I'm still :huh: !!!!!! Hope yer sources all get back to you with a definite answer![/color]

While we're on the topic of U2ey bands, listen to the samples of the band Curveside atthis site. They A) sound a bit like U2, and B) sound pretty cool!

But, my first thought was Kevin Griffin of Better Than Ezra. Anybody who's listened to BTE's song "One More Murder" knows that he can sound a LOT like Bono, and the 2nd sample has some of the same mannerisms that One More Murder has.

Just a thought.....

-Mike

Cool... so we have another thread going here thanks to "i_love_you" from Livejournal's "Howdoesitgo" community who said they'd ask on another message board.

It's at : http://msg.woxy.com/showthread.php?threadid=3469

And look what somebody responded with:

After turning the volume WAYYYY up and putting on headphones, I came out with this...parenthesis means I'm not sure about a word...

Chorus:

When I left you, you said you loved me.
While the nation watched, how'd you forget me?
When I left you, you said you loved me.
While the nation...how'd you (seget) me?

It sounds like a backup singer is saying 'Stay' or something to the effect between the vocal lines...where I put the commas. He says 'Stay' in the 4th line I'm sure.

Verse:

Soldier March (now/how?) to and fro
it's you must turn the walls be (go/gone)
(Insurance/it's your rich?) life is your only crime.
When the (phone) kicks in at ya everytime.

Someone will probably want to double-check these, the lyrics don't make much sense this way but this is as close as I got. Hope this helps!

-Nate

Last edited:
cBU9t9

If it is U2 I reckon it has to be something from when they recorded Zooropa. Surely there were a few songs that did'nt make it to the album.
How it got onto the radio...who knows, maybe someone pulled a stunt, or someone got a hold of a recording and some DJ with balls played it live!

I think it's 50/50 possibility of being U2 and 0.05% chance of what i just rambled being true...

I listened to the original tape last night... the sound is a lot more clear than my .wav files. I'm buying a proper RCA cable and I'll hook up my stereo to the computer. I'll record a stereo (as opposed to mono) version of the song, and I'll record the entire length of the song...)

There are actually things in the background you can hear on the original cassette that you can't hear online, such as...

before mystery singer sings, "When I left you...", you can almost hear him whisper, "baby listen.... baby listen..."

(once again, another Bono-ish Achtung Baby kinda thing)

I labelled the cassette "March 1993". So that's the exact time frame we're talking about.

Back
Top Bottom