Can U2 still fill stadiums?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheBrazilianFly

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
I think they can!!! :hyper: First I watched my Zoo Tv and Popmart tapes so much that I just couldn?t imagine them playing anywhere else besides a stadium. Now I must confess I have watched Live in Boston so much and I got into the whole ATYCLB idea so much that I can't picture them on a stadium again (but I still think they can do it), it just seems odd for some reason.

I mean I fear that all of that image that the band tried to show of them humbling themselves and going to play at smaller venues on the ATYCLB era may have formed a strong image on the heads of the casual fans that their no longer a stadium band (in their heads). But then again ATYCLB had a more intimate feel so playing smaller places seemed right so if this new album have a more epic kind of feel to it maybe people will see them as a stadium band again (if they don?t think that already). I just don?t know how the rest of the world sees U2 now. Hopefully this new album will have that Where The Streets Have No Name kind of vibe that works great on a big ass stadium. :yes:

I think U2 can definitely still play stadiums, whether thay can fill them depends on the quality and popularity of their new album and the promotion of the tour...but i'm sure U2 would have just as much presence and style in stadiums as they previously have.

wolfeden said:
They could sell out Foxboro, no problem.

Although I'm hoping for indoor/arena myself. Not a big fan of stadium shows.

But hey, Springsteen played Fenway Park (and I WAS THERE WAHOOOOOOOO) last fall.. now THERE is an amazing concept no? :hmm: :hyper:

Oh my God I have the bootleg of Bruce playing Fenway Park from 7.9.03 and I'm listening to it right now. Great show!!!!!

:drool: :hyper: :applaud:

Oh and I think this next U2 tour will happen in arenas and stadiums.

Watch U2 Live At Slane Castle and you know that they can still fill stadiums!

During the Elevation Tour they also played a stadium concert in Italy (Turin) and the Netherlands (Arnhem, thrice!). Granted, the one in the Netherlands was a small stadium (35,000 people per night), but it was a stadium.
So yes, they can still fill stadiums. :dance:

C ya!

Marty (likes the arenas too and would :combust: :faint: with a club show)

they can fill stadiums in large cities easily

but mid sized to smaller cities, (such as new orleans, st louis, charalotte and what not) no way, unless the prices were really low

They sold out Slane TWICE and there were thousands of disappointed fans who did not get tickets even though they slept in line! I think they can fill them. They did it in Europe, and when you sell 4 nights in an arena in some areas, that proves they would have filled a stadium. But I hope they don't play stadiums. After Elevation I am spoiled by the up close and personal thing. I can't go back to seeing them as ants now:grumpy:

At this exact moment, yes, they can fill a stadium.

I think it depends on whether the critics like the new album. ATYCLB and the Elevation tour put U2 into the realm of living legends, thus meaning other artists want to kiss their asses and EVERYONE wants to see them live even if they aren't that familiar with U2. If the critics praise the new album, then it will continue to fuel their legend status. Riding the success of ATYCLB and a new album will defintly make them able to fill stadiums. If the new album turns out to be another Pop disaster, then things might be different.

I'm spoiled from "Elevation", too, I really loved the up-close and personal. But yes, they can sell out stadiums, and it will be easier to get tickets to stadium shows.

madonna's child said:
At this exact moment, yes, they can fill a stadium.

I think it depends on whether the critics like the new album. ATYCLB and the Elevation tour put U2 into the realm of living legends, thus meaning other artists want to kiss their asses and EVERYONE wants to see them live even if they aren't that familiar with U2. If the critics praise the new album, then it will continue to fuel their legend status. Riding the success of ATYCLB and a new album will defintly make them able to fill stadiums. If the new album turns out to be another Pop disaster, then things might be different.

:yes:

Agree with everything that you said. But I don't think the next record will be a "Pop disaster" or as big commercially as ATYCLB but it will have enough for critics to love it and maybe it will be better than ATYCLB (and I think it will).

Sadly they can. I say sadly only because they are now falling into that "Classic Rock Band" category I loathe. Their back catalog is so strong, and with success of the Elevation Tour, U2 is a hot ticket item. As long as the latest album isn't met with cool reviews and rocks like they promise, then they can sellout any stadium in the US and the world (even St. Louis, Charlotte and New Orleans).

Chizip said:
they can fill stadiums in large cities easily

but mid sized to smaller cities, (such as new orleans, st louis, charalotte and what not) no way, unless the prices were really low

Boston, NY, Chicago, and maybe LA. Remember, Slane were the ONLY shows they played in Ireland. 2 stadium shows. That was it.

They'll fill stadiums easily. Even after Pop they filled a good deal of stadiums, so I don't think we have any worries. They're still rock's hottest ticket.

In major markets they will have no problem filling stadiums. Places like New York, Boston, Chicago will actually probebly see multiple stadium shows. There will be arena shows also though, look at the Zoo TV tour model, get ready for something very similiar in scope and design as far as scheduling. The first leg will be hit and run arena shows which will make tickets for those shows in the large markets VERY difficult to obtain. Also factor in that we dont have Propaganda to bail us out any longer and it could get ugly. The good news is that the markets that most likely wont receive the stadium shows will get hit on the first leg, the bad news is that tickets might be a problem. I think those of you that just want the arena shows didnt get to experience the ticket madness for the indoor leg of Zoo. They were only playing ONE arena show in just about every market. Not 6 or 7 arena shows like New York and Chicago on the last tour. ALOT of fans got left out in the cold on that one and were happy when stadiums came because at LEAST they could get tickets (Even some of those shows were difficult to get tickets for then). We even had Prop providing great seats and still some fans got shut out. So I think alot of you may change your tune when you cant buy a ticket because they are playing only 2 arena shows in Chicago on the first leg and it sells out in about 10 minutes. Should be cool though to see U2 at the "new" Soldier Field also. The three Popmart shows I saw there were 3 of the greatest U2 shows I have seen.

In Europe (except probebly Germany) and South America they could just do stadiums with no problems at all.

Last edited:
I personally would rather see one arena show, than see 4 or 5 stadium shows .

i guarentee you, unless tickets were 30 bucks or less u2 couldnt sell out the 65,000 seat dome here in st louis

they couldnt sell out the 20,000 seat arena for elevation!

Depends on the new album. If it's received as good as ATYCLB or similarly, yes, they could do it. (Europe and S. America or Australia definitely IMO) The fact they've been away long will add to everyone wanting to see them.

They'll probably start out with arenas and test the waters sort of speak. If the demand is there, they'll go for the stadiums.

I have a question about the prices: if they go to stadiums, are the ticket prices cheaper (bigger venue=the split of the show's cost is easier on the fans) or more expensive (bigger demand for a bigger venue=ticket prices go up)?

*edit* If nothing else, they could do it to prove a certain Henry Rollins wrong - he said "Bono is delusional - they will never be a stadium band again".

Last edited:
Yes, they can and they will...it they come back to Brazil again. They should double the number of brazilian concerts, I?d say 2 in S?o Paulo, 2 in Rio, 1 in Salvador and 1 in Porto Alegre :yes: so 6 instead of 3, like we had for Popmart...hey, one can dream, right? All I want is U2 :)

Cheers
MT

I doubt they could sell the 60,000 stadium here in Vancouver, for Elevation they had one arena show and they didn't even sell that out until the day of the show. :mad: I think you guys are having wishfull thinking for smaller to mid size cities in North America. :(

What happened on the American leg of Popmart. The failure hype? Its a myth. They may not have been selling out the entire stadium but the lowest attendance was 21000 in a definate secondary market. Thats more than a sellout for an arena show.

Look, they cant and they wont play stadiums in every market in the U.S. But they can definately do stadiums in major markets. The Vancouver example mentioned before. Well look at this way. What if they only play one arena show in the Vancouver/Seattle area. They come back and do 1 stadium show in the same vicinity. I guarantee you it would sell well. May not sellout, but if they drew 30,000 to 35,000 people it would be worth doing a stadium show. Also, if the album is any kind of hit, they definately will sell any type of venue well in most markets. In Europe and S. America they could just play stadiums and do well.

Last edited:
pepokiss said:
PopMart - Rome - 150.000 individuals...

no, they can't fill stadiums.... :angry:

The question is not if they have ever filled stadiums, everybody knows they have done it many, many times before. The question is if they still can sell stadiums. Read the title properly and the original post before posting.

It depends on the city...as has been pointed out. New York, LA, Boston, sure all of those are given. But they can't do it in most other US cities...they couldn't during Popmart, and they can't today, seven years later.

Europe and other areas of the world might be a different story. Again, I think it depends on the city.

ZooTV was a safe, but proven model. Elevation sort of followed suit. Start by playing it safe with smaller venues. Build up the hype and then if you can, throw in a few larger arenas in places where the demand can support it.

They will never again be as foolish as they were during Popmart thinking that they could fill 60,000+ stadiums in every city they went to.

Back
Top Bottom